Doc wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:41 pm
Milo wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:52 pm
Doc wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:21 am
Milo wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:04 am
Where I live he wouldn't be a politician. I think that's a better way.
Liberal Democrats don't go into Politics in Canada?
We don't elect prosecutors. The title of AG here is subsumed into the cabinet position of Minister of Justice and they don't prossecute on their own motion.

Our bureaucrat prosecutors have considerable independence from the politicians as well.

This means that we don't have a bunch of showboat cowboys perverting the system for political publicity, as the US does.
Just a bunch of entrenched deep state types who hate the trumps of the world rocking the boat.
You've met a lot of them, have you?
I few.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Re: Hahaha. Another Liberal Democrat bites the dust

Post by Doc » Wed May 09, 2018 9:41 am

cassowary wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:32 am
Sertorio wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:08 am
cassowary wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:09 am
Eric Schneiderman, New York Attorney General, champion of women's rights who sued Harvey Weinstein, is himself accused of abusing women.

Politicians don't mean what they say. They only want power, money and girls.
Does this make Harvey Weinstein innocent of the charges brought against him?...
No. But it makes Schneiderman a hypocrite.
Schneiderman is also known for selectively enforcing the law based on Politics.

https://truepundit.com/free-ride-perver ... gn-donors/
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed May 09, 2018 11:46 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:41 am
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Eric Schneiderman, New York Attorney General, champion of women's rights who sued Harvey Weinstein, is himself accused of abusing women.

It's not a good idea to elect the prosecutors. There is a tendency to use the law to destroy your political opponents. This is why Trump's accusation that Mueller is on a witch hunt resonates with so many Americans.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu May 10, 2018 11:01 am

cassowary wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:46 pm
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

It's not a good idea to elect the prosecutors. There is a tendency to use the law to destroy your political opponents. This is why Trump's accusation that Mueller is on a witch hunt resonates with so many Americans.
There are law even elected prosecutors are supposed to follow. In this country at least not having someone elected in charge will leave justice in an even more partisan state

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu May 10, 2018 11:16 am

Doc wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:01 am
cassowary wrote:
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

There are law even elected prosecutors are supposed to follow. In this country at least not having someone elected in charge will leave justice in an even more partisan state
There is someone elected "in charge" in Canada, just not prosecuting.

You shouldn't vote for the cure for cancer, just whether it should be cured and for how much.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu May 10, 2018 11:58 am

Milo wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:16 am
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

You shouldn't vote for the cure for cancer, just whether it should be cured and for how much.
Here in the US we live in a democracy.

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri May 11, 2018 4:21 am

Doc wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:58 am
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:

As opposed to Canada?

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri May 11, 2018 9:29 am

Milo wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:21 am
Doc wrote:
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Doc wrote:

As opposed to Canada?
Well it does seem you avoid elections where ever possible and their is the lack of the right to free speech in Canada......

Here is an article that makes my point ACCOUNTABILITY Special Prosecutors are un-elected prosecutors:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ned-218359
The first pillar of the argument is intellectual: special prosecutors like Mueller are a really bad idea. They have enormous power, and to justify their existence they’re prone to dive down rabbit holes, often barely connected to the original charge. (Bill Clinton’s impeachment in December 1998, for perjury regarding his relationship with Monica Lewinsky, stemmed from an investigation into a real estate deal begun by special prosecutor Robert Fiske in January 1994—almost five years earlier.) Moreover, special prosecutors simply aren’t as good at getting an answer to a factual question as a select congressional committee or an independent commission, which is how Dershowitz says Russian election interference should have been investigated.

He has been sounding this note for years. “The subjects of such investigations are often hounded and bankrupted. The independent counsel have no accountability or continuity,” he wrote in his 1998 book Sexual McCarthyism: Clinton, Starr and the Emerging Constitutional Crisis. And he has company. Special prosecutors are “like dinosaurs roaming the Earth in search of prey,” said NYU professor Burt Neuborne, former national legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union.
Alan Dershowitz speaks into a microphone with intensity and points his finger
“The sad reality appears to be that most people care about perjury only when they disapprove of the substance of the lie or of the person who is lying,” Dershowitz said in Dec. 1998 testimony before the House Judiciary Committee in regards to the looming impeachment of President Bill Clinton

Every lawyer I spoke with for this story acknowledged the consistency and validity of Dershowitz’s concern with special counsel overreach. “This is a classic civil liberties position,” Gertner said. In the case of Trump, some questioned whether Dershowitz has made clear that this is an institutional argument as opposed to a personal attack on Mueller. “Any person who has listened to Alan on a regular basis would not think he only had a problem with the appointment of Mueller,” Toobin told me.

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri May 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:29 am
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:

As opposed to Canada?
Well it does seem you avoid elections where ever possible and their is the lack of the right to free speech in Canada......

Here is an article that makes my point ACCOUNTABILITY Special Prosecutors are un-elected prosecutors:

The first pillar of the argument is intellectual: special prosecutors like Mueller are a really bad idea. They have enormous power, and to justify their existence they’re prone to dive down rabbit holes, often barely connected to the original charge. (Bill Clinton’s impeachment in December 1998, for perjury regarding his relationship with Monica Lewinsky, stemmed from an investigation into a real estate deal begun by special prosecutor Robert Fiske in January 1994—almost five years earlier.) Moreover, special prosecutors simply aren’t as good at getting an answer to a factual question as a select congressional committee or an independent commission, which is how Dershowitz says Russian election interference should have been investigated.

He has been sounding this note for years. “The subjects of such investigations are often hounded and bankrupted. The independent counsel have no accountability or continuity,” he wrote in his 1998 book Sexual McCarthyism: Clinton, Starr and the Emerging Constitutional Crisis. And he has company. Special prosecutors are “like dinosaurs roaming the Earth in search of prey,” said NYU professor Burt Neuborne, former national legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union.
“The sad reality appears to be that most people care about perjury only when they disapprove of the substance of the lie or of the person who is lying,” Dershowitz said in Dec. 1998 testimony before the House Judiciary Committee in regards to the looming impeachment of President Bill Clinton

Every lawyer I spoke with for this story acknowledged the consistency and validity of Dershowitz’s concern with special counsel overreach. “This is a classic civil liberties position,” Gertner said. In the case of Trump, some questioned whether Dershowitz has made clear that this is an institutional argument as opposed to a personal attack on Mueller. “Any person who has listened to Alan on a regular basis would not think he only had a problem with the appointment of Mueller,” Toobin told me.
Of course they're accountable: defence counsel, the judge, the Crown Service and the law society all come to mind.

Leaving aside how obviously you try to slant some academic legal navel gazing, comparing a Special Prosecutor to a regular one is like comparing an espionage agent to a police officer.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri May 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Milo wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:00 pm
Doc wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:29 am
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:

As opposed to Canada?

Of course they're accountable: defence counsel, the judge, the Crown Service and the law society all come to mind.

Leaving aside how obviously you try to slant some academic legal navel gazing, comparing a Special Prosecutor to a regular one is like comparing an espionage agent to a police officer.
And if in the process they bankrupt the defendant? If that happens before they are found innocent how does that serve justice? OR is this about something else to you?