Trump-Russia 'collusion': Democrats file lawsuit

Discussion of current events
Milo

Trump-Russia 'collusion': Democrats file lawsuit

Post by Milo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:39 am

The Democratic Party in the US is suing Russia, the Trump campaign and the whistle-blowing website Wikileaks for conspiring to disrupt the 2016 presidential election.

Documents filed in court allege that the campaign "gleefully accepted Russia's help" to win the election.

President Donald Trump has repeatedly denied collusion, and Russia has also denied the allegations.

Several investigations are already under way.

US intelligence agencies previously concluded Moscow had tried to sway the election in Mr Trump's favour.

The BBC's Nick Bryant in Washington says the lawsuit by the DNC is seen as a publicity stunt by many there, as it may not unveil anything that is not already being examined in other investigations - but could keep the matter in the public eye.

The lawsuit, filed in a federal court in Manhattan, names senior Trump aides including his son-in-law Jared Kushner, strategist Roger Stone and former campaign chairman Paul Manafort as defendants, as well as the Wikileaks founder, Julian Assange.

Democratic National Committee chairman Tom Perez said in a statement that the alleged hacking was "an act of unprecedented treachery" and "an all-out assault on our democracy".

The Washington Post reports that foreign nations usually have immunity from US lawsuits, but Democrats argue the rule should not apply in this case because Russia trespassed on private party servers.

In May 2016 the first reports emerged of hackers targeting the Democratic Party. Over the next two months, the reports suggested US intelligence agencies had traced the breaches back to Russian hackers.

In July, on the eve of the Democratic National Convention, Wikileaks published 20,000 internal emails stolen by the hackers.

US intelligence officials said they believed with "high confidence" that Russia had been behind the operation but the Trump campaign publicly refused to accept the findings.

Earlier on Friday, memos by ex-FBI director James Comey detailing his conversations with Donald Trump were published.

He writes that he was asked by Mr Trump to drop an inquiry into links between his former national security advisor, Michael Flynn, and Russia.

Mr Trump sacked Mr Comey last year while he was leading an FBI investigation into allegations of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Mr Trump tweeted that the memos showed there was no "collusion and no obstruction".
The Civil Standard of proof is a lot easier to meet. I expect the pips to start squeaking any time now!

Doc

Re: Trump-Russia 'collusion': Democrats file lawsuit

Post by Doc » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:56 pm

This is a pathetic attempt of salvation motivated by terrified desperation.

Surrender negotiations of the Democrats and Deep State are already under way

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/9870 ... 35073.html

1) Guiliani joining team to negotiate exit of Mueller is confirmation of earlier analysis on Mueller "referee" intent.

The investigative and indictment balance was always between Clinton and Trump. Mueller was always playing the role of leverage fulcrum.
2) If you look at Mueller from the position of trying to protect his cherished Deep State institutions from horrible Trump swamp draining.... things begin to take a more accurate context.
3) REMEMBER THIS IS FROM "MUELLERS PERSPECTIVE."
4) The only way for Mueller to protect his Swamp Allies and Institutions, was to generate leverage against Trump.
5) Having established only political leverage, nothing factually unlawful or illegal, the investigation begins to dry up. Leverage diminishes.
6) Without direct leverage against Trump, Team Mueller moved to position leverage against those Trump cares about.... that's a secondary approach
7) But the secondary leverage approach is fraught with public noting Mueller is on a "witch hunt".... the investigation into outlying Trump allies becomes transparent in motive. Support for Mueller erodes amid independent-minded people.
8) Enter Rudy Giuliani, a political and legal Subject Matter Expert - with direct knowledge of evidence held by NYPD and NY FBI field office of gross criminal conduct by Hillary Clinton. (Weiner Laptop etc) Buried by SDNY Clinton Allies
9) With Mueller having exhausted most of his investigative leverage, Giuliani enters to negotiate exit and discuss his team's path of retreat and image face-saving.
10) The discussion from Mueller will not center around Trump, but rather center around how much risk to Hillary Clinton, and by extension political allies within FBI and DOJ - including Obama White House, Mueller will permit.
11) Mueller will be looking to protect the interests of Obama, Clinton, Lynch, Comey, Brennan, Clapper, etc. and negotiating degrees of risk to the institutions each represents.
12) This is the political horsetrading phase. The leverage cards held by each participant are laid on the table for discussion. Low leverage officials will be sacrificed by Mueller to protect those holding more leverage.
13) Giuliani is a well qualified person to present the Trump administration position within these negotiations. They are essentially negotiating who faces criminal prosecution and who doesn't.
14) Ultimately protecting Obama and Clinton will be of higher importance to Mueller. If Mueller doesn't protect Clinton, he knows her team will destroy everyone if she goes down. That scorched earth approach is a historic part of Team Clinton's leverage.
15) The stronger the evidence is against Clinton the more people Mueller will have to give up to protect her. The stronger the evidence against the corrupt institutions, the bigger the officials Mueller will have to sacrifice to save them.
16) Negotiating all this with Robert Mueller will be Rudy Giuliani's job.
17) The general public will never know the ultimate deal decisions. We will only be able to gauge the scale of corruption by the officials Mueller agrees to sacrifice.
18) That's life amid the swamp when SHTF...
IMHO these crooks need to go to jail for a long time as a lesson to those in future generations that would mess with our democracy
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:09 am

Even if they win, how is an American court ever going to compel Russia to pay up?

To me, this looks more like a political "stunt" than a serious attempt to gain compensation for loss.

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:10 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:09 am
Even if they win, how is an American court ever going to compel Russia to pay up?

To me, this looks more like a political "stunt" than a serious attempt to gain compensation for loss.
Oh it's very simple to collect, Russia owns assets outside of Russia for example.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:17 am

Milo wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:10 pm
neverfail wrote:

Oh it's very simple to collect, Russia owns assets outside of Russia for example.
This is a stunt that is already backfiring on the DNC and will continue to backfire spectacularly through the November elections and beyond.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:40 am

Doc wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:17 am
Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:

This is a stunt that is already backfiring on the DNC and will continue to backfire spectacularly through the November elections and beyond.
How has it backfired?

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:31 am

Milo wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:40 am
Doc wrote:
Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:

How has it backfired?
The day after the Comey memos come out and show
1) No Trump obstruction of justice or Trump Russian collusion what so ever Even though those memos were the entire basis for appointing a special prosecutor after Trump fired comey so the timing of the dems lawsuit looks extremely desperate and is bound to show the appointment of Mueller was a rigged game. Plus McCabe's lawsuit coming out the same day being quite a coincidence,
2) The DNC is already being sued for the same thing. They have already admitted they cheated Bernie in the primaries but say that is perfectly legal.
3) The lawsuit allows for discovery by the defends. Including the DNC servers.supposedly hacked the Russians, that the DNC refused to hand over to the FBI for cyber analysis. It is highly likely that an analysis will show the hack was a local download via usb
4) The Awan brothers apparently had at least some access to the DNC servers. Hard to claim foriegn interference happened when the chairman of the party willing allowed a foriegn spy service access to the same servers
5) This kind of law suit is expensive. The DNC is broke. Its large donors are objecting to their money being spent on this stunt.

Milo

Post by Milo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:11 pm

Doc wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:31 am
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:
Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:

How has it backfired?
1) No Trump obstruction of justice or Trump Russian collusion what so ever Even though those memos were the entire basis for appointing a special prosecutor after Trump fired comey so the timing of the dems lawsuit looks extremely desperate and is bound to show the appointment of Mueller was a rigged game. Plus McCabe's lawsuit coming out the same day being quite a coincidence,
2) The DNC is already being sued for the same thing. They have already admitted they cheated Bernie in the primaries but say that is perfectly legal.
3) The lawsuit allows for discovery by the defends. Including the DNC servers.supposedly hacked the Russians, that the DNC refused to hand over to the FBI for cyber analysis. It is highly likely that an analysis will show the hack was a local download via usb
4) The Awan brothers apparently had at least some access to the DNC servers. Hard to claim foriegn interference happened when the chairman of the party willing allowed a foriegn spy service access to the same servers
5) This kind of law suit is expensive. The DNC is broke. Its large donors are objecting to their money being spent on this stunt.
Wow, have a good time out there!

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:36 pm

Milo wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:11 pm
Doc wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:31 am
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:
Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:

How has it backfired?
Wow, have a good time out there!
I fully intend to