why Russia is no economic superpower.

Discussion of current events
armchair_pundit

Re: why Russia is no economic superpower.

Post by armchair_pundit » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:14 am

cassowary wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:06 am
Wow Neverfail. You have wide and deep knowledge over a wide range of subjects. I am impressed.

I often wondered this question as to why fracking has not spread elsewhere. I had vaguely put it down to environmental concerns. Thanks for adding to my store of knowledge.
I ordered a pair of T-shirts for you two...

8-)

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:55 am

Haha

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:16 pm

cassowary wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:06 am
Wow Neverfail. You have wide and deep knowledge over a wide range of subjects. I am impressed.

I often wondered this question as to why fracking has not spread elsewhere. I had vaguely put it down to environmental concerns. Thanks for adding to my store of knowledge.
Warm thanks for the acknowledgement Cass.

As an old former investor in mining and oil as well as a former economics student, I am conversant with the fact that just because some perceived form of subsoil wealth is unearthed by the exploration drilling crews does not automatically mean that it is commercially feasible to exploit it. A whole complex of other factors have a bearing as to whether it is destined to be an economic resource or something to be ignored (at least for the time being).

I once owned shares in a Melbourne based company that was mining a low grade gold deposit in central Victoria. The host rock yielded an average of only one dram of gold per tonne. Yet it was still profitable to work the mine (as a company annual report once explained) because of where it is located. Close to good road and electric power infrastructure; plenty of otherwise unemployed workers in neighbouring towns willing to work for reasonable but not excessive wages and so forth.

Had that deposit been located somewhere in the middle of the Western Australian desert where all of these would have needed to be brought in over long distances at considerable cost, I guesstimate you would have needed at least 2 or even 3 drams of gold per tonne of rock to make it a paying mine.

The second factor in favour of that Victorian mine is/was that it was an open cut surface mining operation. Had the gold bearing rock been in the form of a seam 300 meters or greater underground requiring (more expensive) underground mining methods to be employed, it is very doubtful whether mining would ever have gone ahead.

See what I mean by the complex variations that affect mining (including oil and gas exploitation) worldwide?

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm

cassowary wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:11 am
The US does not dominate others.
Then they wouldn't be in the Middle East, at all, anywhere.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm
cassowary wrote:
I agree! Sorry Cass, but you made a silly observation there.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:32 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
cassowary wrote:
The US has bases all over the world and they usually have the permission of the host countries who welcome US protection. When US protection is no longer needed, the host will ask the US to leave and the US will leave - as in the case of the Philippines.

The main areas for US troops are in Europe, Japan and S Korea. The Europeans desire US protection from Russia and the troops are there as part of NATO. Does the US dominate Europe as once European countries like UK dominated their colonies? They are sovereign democratic countries that have to carry out the wishes of their voters which may not square with US interests.

The other places are S Korea and Japan. Again, they are there with the permission of the hosts to defend them against N Korea and possibly Russia and China. Does the US dominate these two countries? I don't think so. They are sovereign countries that can ask the US to leave if they are no longer needed. If the US dominates Japan and S Korea, it would have demanded more access to the Japanese market (like agriculture) and Korea to reduce US trade deficits.

As for the Mid East, the US has an unspoken deal with Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states. The US defends them in exchange for stable oil supply. That is why the US felt bound to liberate Kuwait from Saddam Hussein in 1991. Or it will lose its credibility. Again, does the US dominate Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries?

I wish it does and we might have cheap oil and gas. These countries pursue their national interests by forming OPEC to push the price of oil up. The US has been a major oil importer for decades. If the US dominates them, then oil price would have been cheaper. There would not be an Arab oil embargo in 1973. There won't even be an OPEC. The US has a base in Qatar. But Qatar supports extremist groups that are anti-US. Having bases in Europe, E Asia and Mid East does not mean dominance.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 am

cassowary wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:32 pm
The Europeans desire US protection from Russia...
We definetely DO NOT desire such thing, as we are not threatened by Russia. It is the US which feels its interests are threatened by Russia, and thus tries to keep Europe chained to the defense of those alien interests. What the US is most scared of, is that Europe will establish a long term partnership with Russia, so it tries to force Europe to be as unfriendly as possible to Russia.

cassowary

US troops welcomed in Poland

Post by cassowary » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:24 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 am
cassowary wrote:
We definetely DO NOT desire such thing, as we are not threatened by Russia. It is the US which feels its interests are threatened by Russia, and thus tries to keep Europe chained to the defense of those alien interests. What the US is most scared of, is that Europe will establish a long term partnership with Russia, so it tries to force Europe to be as unfriendly as possible to Russia.
Utter rubbish Sertorio. Ask the Poles, if you happen to meet any. Or pay Poland a visit. Talk to ordinary Poles and ask what they think of Russia.

US troops welcomed in Poland

Sertorio

Re: US troops welcomed in Poland

Post by Sertorio » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:04 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:24 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 am
cassowary wrote:
Utter rubbish Sertorio. Ask the Poles, if you happen to meet any. Or pay Poland a visit. Talk to ordinary Poles and ask what they think of Russia.
It may be true of Poland and of the Baltic States, but that's just about it. Europe is a lot more than those countries. Countries which could sign an alliance treaty with the US, if they wish. But the rest of us no longer wish to be tied to US imperialistic policies. We want to have normal relations with Russia and to develop a cooperation with it.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:06 am

cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
cassowary wrote:
The US has bases all over the world and they usually have the permission of the host countries who welcome US protection. When US protection is no longer needed, the host will ask the US to leave and the US will leave - as in the case of the Philippines.

The main areas for US troops are in Europe, Japan and S Korea. The Europeans desire US protection from Russia and the troops are there as part of NATO. Does the US dominate Europe as once European countries like UK dominated their colonies? They are sovereign democratic countries that have to carry out the wishes of their voters which may not square with US interests.

The other places are S Korea and Japan. Again, they are there with the permission of the hosts to defend them against N Korea and possibly Russia and China. Does the US dominate these two countries? I don't think so. They are sovereign countries that can ask the US to leave if they are no longer needed. If the US dominates Japan and S Korea, it would have demanded more access to the Japanese market (like agriculture) and Korea to reduce US trade deficits.

As for the Mid East, the US has an unspoken deal with Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states. The US defends them in exchange for stable oil supply. That is why the US felt bound to liberate Kuwait from Saddam Hussein in 1991. Or it will lose its credibility. Again, does the US dominate Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries?

I wish it does and we might have cheap oil and gas. These countries pursue their national interests by forming OPEC to push the price of oil up. The US has been a major oil importer for decades. If the US dominates them, then oil price would have been cheaper. There would not be an Arab oil embargo in 1973. There won't even be an OPEC. The US has a base in Qatar. But Qatar supports extremist groups that are anti-US. Having bases in Europe, E Asia and Mid East does not mean dominance.
Domination comes in many different forms and guises Cassowary.

Without having any militaristic intentions towards it, the US effortlessly dominates Canada.

This domination is well neigh unavoidable: given the immense difference between the two in demographic size and size of GDP.

Canada needs the US as a market far more than vice versa. The bargaining power between the two is very unequal.

The US also dominates its Latino neighbours to the south: though unlike in the case of Canada there is something of a history of the US selectively applying military might and other forms of strong arm interference down there.

No matter how much these may sometimes privately wish the US would vanish off the face of the earth, it is always there.