why Russia is no economic superpower.

Discussion of current events
neverfail

why Russia is no economic superpower.

Post by neverfail » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:57 pm

Sertorio

Re: why Russia is no economic superpower.

Post by Sertorio » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:29 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:57 pm
The Putin myth:.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-eco ... 4z946.html
Russia never claimed to be an economic superpower. But it will become economically more relevant as time goes by. On the other hand Russia has the means to destroy any other country on Earth, so one should be a little more careful about the way we treat it. Something Trump, Macron and May seem to forget...

[By the way, I had a good laugh reading your quoted article, as it misses all the relevant aspects of Russia. The Soviet Union was also an economic midget - on a global perspective - but nobody laughed at it.]

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:45 am

neverfail wrote:

I have told Milo that Russia's GDP is smaller than Canada's. But Putin, like the Portuguese before 1976, measures Russia's greatness in terms of empire.

So instead of policies that give Russians a better standard of living he spends treasure to expand the Russian empire.

Xi wants the S China sea and reduce SE Asia to vassalage as in the old days. Kim wants to conquer S Korea. Khamenei wants to revive the Persian empire. Trump stand in the way of all these empire builders.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:48 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:29 am
neverfail wrote:

Russia never claimed to be an economic superpower. But it will become economically more relevant as time goes by. On the other hand Russia has the means to destroy any other country on Earth, so one should be a little more careful about the way we treat it. Something Trump, Macron and May seem to forget...

[By the way, I had a good laugh reading your quoted article, as it misses all the relevant aspects of Russia. The Soviet Union was also an economic midget - on a global perspective - but nobody laughed at it.]

You are right about Russian nukes. That is all it has got. Russian economy will grow weaker as Trump ramps up oil and gas production. Technology is also improving green energy.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:17 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:48 am

You are right about Russian nukes. That is all it has got. Russian economy will grow weaker as Trump ramps up oil and gas production. Technology is also improving green energy.
Russia is the only country on earth with the means to wipe the USA off the map.

That however only inspires dread of Russia. It does not allow this country to command respect abroad.

As for green energy; the way things are going that it likely to make oil irrelevant with the passage of time (and Russia with it even more so.)

I find that imbalance between the destructive power held by Russia and the country's apparent lack of the means to do any good very discomforting.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:32 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:17 am
cassowary wrote:

Russia is the only country on earth with the means to wipe the USA off the map.

That however only inspires dread of Russia. It does not allow this country to command respect abroad.

As for green energy; the way things are going that it likely to make oil irrelevant with the passage of time (and Russia with it even more so.)

I find that imbalance between the destructive power held by Russia and the country's apparent lack of the means to do any good very discomforting.
What "good" does the US - or Australia - do?...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 am

cassowary wrote:
You're giving credit to Trump for things that ramped up during the Obama adminstration. (And even then, remember, remember, remember that the president is not an emperor!)
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:36 am

neverfail wrote:
Russia is the only country on earth with the means to wipe the USA off the map. That however only inspires dread of Russia. It does not allow this country to command respect abroad.
I'd be surprised if China couldn't do so also.
neverfail wrote:
Agreed.
neverfail wrote:
On the plus side, Putin is not insane.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:41 am

cassowary wrote:
Russian economy will grow weaker as Trump ramps up oil and gas production. Technology is also improving green energy.
Another view:
https://www.rt.com/business/423910-trum ... ia-stocks/

While Donald Trump's tweets threatening missile strikes on Moscow's ally Syria spooked global markets, Russian stocks and the ruble have rebounded on Thursday from losses caused by US sanctions.
The Russian currency has significantly strengthened to 62 rubles against the dollar and 76.6 against the euro, compared to the levels of 65 and 80 seen on Wednesday.

The dollar-traded RTS stock index has risen 2.79 percent, while the ruble-denominated MOEX (formerly MICEX) index was trading flat.

Experts told RT that the sell-off triggered by US sanctions would be followed by a rebound, since Russia provides some of the most lucrative returns on its bonds. “Russia provides the highest yields among the emerging economies on its sovereign debt (the OFZs). There is no alternative to Russian bonds. The institutional investors know the high price of retaining the yield of their portfolios,” said Global FX investment analyst Vladimir Rozhankovsky.

Another reason that led to the recovery in Russian stocks is the oil price. Crude surged on Trump’s taunts that Moscow should “get ready” for missiles to rain down on Syria. Oil markets are sensitive to any instability in the Middle East.

Oil has risen to its highest level in the last three years, with Brent touching above $72 per barrel and WTI reaching the $67 mark.
I know, I know! RT is the source of this information, so it must all be fake news and propaganda... :D

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:48 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:41 am
I know, I know! RT is the source of this information, so it must all be fake news and propaganda... :D
Well, if the Russian government says that the Russian government doing a great job, it must be true. :roll: