Post by armchair_pundit » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:17 am

Doc

Re: Mark Zuckerberg may be broke in 28 days

Post by Doc » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:23 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:22 am
Doc wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:37 am
Perhaps the lawyer from Facebook is arrogant, and perhaps not, but either way one cannot know it from a clip in which he does not even speak.
True but whatever the lawyer said it made the minister angry
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:33 pm

armchair_pundit wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:16 am
facebook.jpg
facebook.jpg (211.44 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:28 am

Doc wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:23 pm
It would take more than a clip of a grandstanding politician to make me agree.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:20 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:28 am
Doc wrote:
I have watched this video which appeared to be the full version only to find out it isn't the full version.

It turns out that instead of 100's or 10's of 1,000s of developers, Facebook gave the same kind of data to as many as 100's of 1000s of developers The feature was so popular that developers became upset with Facebook when they pulled the plug on using the data of friends of people that accepted to allow their information to be used. 270,000 users agreed to allow their information to be user. From their friends 50 million users data was shared with developers. Facebook obscured the op-out for friends giving permission in their user friend's name to use the users data.

Additionally
https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/03/faceb ... ed-videos/

Facebook blames bug for saving users’ deleted videos

And this extremely disengenuous statement from Mark Zuckerberg

https://www.inc.com/jeff-bercovici/facebook-growth.html

Zuckerberg Says He Needs 'a Few Years' to Fix Facebook. But He Still Doesn't Understand Why It's Broken.

It is not that Zuckerberg doesn't understand why Facebook is broken. He doesn't understand how Facebook got caught and why people are so angry about it.

Then there is the 2012 Election

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 442130002/
In 2015, in the face of privacy concerns, the company limited third-party access to information about friends. But in the years in between, developers of everything from dating apps to voter-outreach tools used by the Obama campaign, capitalized on Facebook's rules to extract massive amounts of data about Facebook users and their friends.
'Targeted sharing' tools

Obama's 2012 re-election campaign used the information to build what it called a "targeted sharing" tool. More than 1 million Obama supporters signed up for a Facebook app, giving the campaign permission to look at their lists of friends.

Under the theory that voters are more likely respond to calls to action from their friends instead of a generic political ad, the campaign then used the data it harvested to promote "friend-to-friend" communication.

For instance, the Obama campaign could use the data to glean the identities of a Facebook user's friends in a swing state such as Ohio, and then send messages to that Facebook user, urging her to encourage those friends to go vote early in the state.

Obama aides say they strictly complied with Facebook's rules and never shared the data they gained from the app with a third party.

Patrick Ruffini, a co-founder Echelon Insights, a Republican-leaning digital analytics and research firm, said the public outrage this week over the disclosures about Cambridge Analytica "feels like a double standard" against the backdrop of how the Obama campaign and other Democratic and Republican political operatives sought to use Facebook data during the 2012 and 2014 election cycles.

"This is not some breach where some sort of secret data was let out in the wild for the first time," Ruffini said of the data Cambridge Analytica collected. "The information they had wasn't all that different from what the Obama campaign had in its database."

Cambridge Analytica's first and most basic misstep with Facebook, he said: Not collecting the data on its own, directly through the company's platform. In 2014, "had Cambridge Analytica just put out the app themselves, they would have been playing by the rules," Ruffini said.
It should also be noted that Facebook is in trouble WRT US Federal election law as it gave the Obama campaign the same Facebook user data that it charged Cambridge analytics $85 million for. Federal election law counts In Kind contributions as contributions if they are not offered to all competing political campaigns. There is no evidence that this happened WRT the Romney campaign nor the republican 2014 congressional campaigns

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:40 pm

Doc wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:20 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Doc wrote:
I have watched this video which appeared to be the full version only to find out it isn't the full version.

It turns out that instead of 100's or 10's of 1,000s of developers, Facebook gave the same kind of data to as many as 100's of 1000s of developers The feature was so popular that developers became upset with Facebook when they pulled the plug on using the data of friends of people that accepted to allow their information to be used. 270,000 users agreed to allow their information to be user. From their friends 50 million users data was shared with developers. Facebook obscured the op-out for friends giving permission in their user friend's name to use the users data.

Additionally

Zuckerberg Says He Needs 'a Few Years' to Fix Facebook. But He Still Doesn't Understand Why It's Broken.

It is not that Zuckerberg doesn't understand why Facebook is broken. He doesn't understand how Facebook got caught and why people are so angry about it.

In 2015, in the face of privacy concerns, the company limited third-party access to information about friends. But in the years in between, developers of everything from dating apps to voter-outreach tools used by the Obama campaign, capitalized on Facebook's rules to extract massive amounts of data about Facebook users and their friends.
'Targeted sharing' tools

Obama's 2012 re-election campaign used the information to build what it called a "targeted sharing" tool. More than 1 million Obama supporters signed up for a Facebook app, giving the campaign permission to look at their lists of friends.

Under the theory that voters are more likely respond to calls to action from their friends instead of a generic political ad, the campaign then used the data it harvested to promote "friend-to-friend" communication.

For instance, the Obama campaign could use the data to glean the identities of a Facebook user's friends in a swing state such as Ohio, and then send messages to that Facebook user, urging her to encourage those friends to go vote early in the state.

Obama aides say they strictly complied with Facebook's rules and never shared the data they gained from the app with a third party.

Patrick Ruffini, a co-founder Echelon Insights, a Republican-leaning digital analytics and research firm, said the public outrage this week over the disclosures about Cambridge Analytica "feels like a double standard" against the backdrop of how the Obama campaign and other Democratic and Republican political operatives sought to use Facebook data during the 2012 and 2014 election cycles.

"This is not some breach where some sort of secret data was let out in the wild for the first time," Ruffini said of the data Cambridge Analytica collected. "The information they had wasn't all that different from what the Obama campaign had in its database."

Cambridge Analytica's first and most basic misstep with Facebook, he said: Not collecting the data on its own, directly through the company's platform. In 2014, "had Cambridge Analytica just put out the app themselves, they would have been playing by the rules," Ruffini said.
It should also be noted that Facebook is in trouble WRT US Federal election law as it gave the Obama campaign the same Facebook user data that it charged Cambridge analytics $85 million for. Federal election law counts In Kind contributions as contributions if they are not offered to all competing political campaigns. There is no evidence that this happened WRT the Romney campaign nor the republican 2014 congressional campaigns
I doubt it's about the data, I think it's about the algorithms, or perhaps even the AI, developed from it.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:22 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:40 pm
Doc wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:20 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Doc wrote:

Additionally

'Targeted sharing' tools

I doubt it's about the data, I think it's about the algorithms, or perhaps even the AI, developed from it.
It is about a lot of things but primarily it is about people turning over way too much information about themselves under terms they were intentionally mislead from understanding.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:17 am

I have stopped usingg Facebook long ago. But I still own the stock.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:21 am

Un-Fing believable !!! It seems Mark Zuckerberg is inspecting everyone's person parts.

Seriously I have pretty strong evidence that this already happened and Facebook is lying about it with the exception that they are buying everyone's medical information from the health insurance companies. I am SURE it wasn't just plans to do it They are already doing it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -data.html

Facebook backs off its creepy plans to secretly access private medical records and match the data to user profiles

Again Facebook is, in all great likelihood, already doing this.