Europe will be Muslim

Discussion of current events
neverfail
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: Europe will be Muslim

Post by neverfail » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:45 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:19 pm
I would be a lot more concerned if I had to live in an intellectual vacuum...
Intellectuality for its own sake is mere self indulgence.

You remind me of myself as I was before I faced up to my mistake.

Everyone has a spiritual side to their nature - even you Sertorio; even though you may be unaware of it. It is the most perfectly human thing in the world.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 1451
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Europe will be Muslim

Post by Sertorio » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:04 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:45 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:19 pm
I would be a lot more concerned if I had to live in an intellectual vacuum...
Intellectuality for its own sake is mere self indulgence.

You remind me of myself as I was before I faced up to my mistake.

Everyone has a spiritual side to their nature - even you Sertorio; even though you may be unaware of it. It is the most perfectly human thing in the world.
What do you mean by a "spiritual side" to one's nature?...

User avatar
dagbay
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:27 pm

Re: Europe will be Muslim

Post by dagbay » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:41 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:45 am
dagbay wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:12 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:02 am
dagbay wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:53 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:19 pm
neverfail wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Like all other former christians who have lost confidence in the holy trinity and all associated with it; Sertorio cannot endure living his life in a spiritual vacuum. So like a lot of them; a passionate belief in human progress and of the paradise on Earth to come are employed as counterfeit substitutes for redemption and an eternal afterlife now deemed unreal and therefore unreachable. ;)
A spiritual vacuum is the natural order of things and thus does not concern me in the least. I would be a lot more concerned if I had to live in an intellectual vacuum... Likewise, I am not in the least concerned about paradise. But I will strive for a well balanced ecology...

I am sorry you find it impossible to understand - even partially - our universe, and therefore opted for an imaginary spiritual world to give you some comfort in life...
The price you have to pay, neutering humanity to theoretically attain your social objective is unpalatable to me.
"Neutering humanity?..." What's that?...
That is a crude summary of what Sertorio's aspirations look like. A secular civilization where every one has the identical thoughts, moral standards, beliefs and therefore no one infringes on anyone else and all in agreement on the rules of social order. A world of clones at least in mind. That is the peaceful world without disagreements and without religious and other kind of oppression.

If nothing else Sertorio - the physical principal of entropy (always increasing ) would have to be massively violated to get to that utopia.
Where did you get the idea that "a secular civilization (is) where every one has the identical thoughts, moral standards, beliefs and therefore no one infringes on anyone else and all in agreement on the rules of social order"?... A secular society has as much diversity as any other. In fact, it has more, since the absence of a common religion will free people to be as they like. I wonder what led you to think otherwise...
Sertorio, a society that is diverse will not agree on its own accord on moral standards that are unchallengable by the people. In fact as history shows, even in homogeneous social structures there is descent and disagreements. To meet your requirement for a moral code that is unchallenged but still was defined by society your utopian society must be made of clones thinking identically.
Regarding your statement that there are people who are secular and yet act in what you judge to be more ethical and moral ways than some religious people. That is undoubtedly true but sidesteps the discussion altogether. The question we need to ask is not about individuals but about society as a whole and in that respect I believe that a society cannot make its own moral rules and amend them as it moves along in time. A diverse society secular or not left to its own devices to set and amend it's moral code will not necessarily stay on "an ethical course". The more powerful people in that society will pull the acceptable standards to fit their interests - there is no way to prevent this in a normal human society.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 1346
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: Europe will be Muslim

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:33 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:45 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:19 pm
I would be a lot more concerned if I had to live in an intellectual vacuum...
Intellectuality for its own sake is mere self indulgence.
You say that like it's a bad thing!
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: Europe will be Muslim

Post by neverfail » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:35 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:33 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:45 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:19 pm
I would be a lot more concerned if I had to live in an intellectual vacuum...
Intellectuality for its own sake is mere self indulgence.
You say that like it's a bad thing!
When it takes possession of your life, it is!

Post Reply