Europe will be Muslim

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: Europe will be Muslim

Post by Sertorio » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:19 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Like all other former christians who have lost confidence in the holy trinity and all associated with it; Sertorio cannot endure living his life in a spiritual vacuum. So like a lot of them; a passionate belief in human progress and of the paradise on Earth to come are employed as counterfeit substitutes for redemption and an eternal afterlife now deemed unreal and therefore unreachable. ;)
A spiritual vacuum is the natural order of things and thus does not concern me in the least. I would be a lot more concerned if I had to live in an intellectual vacuum... Likewise, I am not in the least concerned about paradise. But I will strive for a well balanced ecology...

I am sorry you find it impossible to understand - even partially - our universe, and therefore opted for an imaginary spiritual world to give you some comfort in life...

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:19 pm
neverfail wrote:

Like all other former christians who have lost confidence in the holy trinity and all associated with it; Sertorio cannot endure living his life in a spiritual vacuum. So like a lot of them; a passionate belief in human progress and of the paradise on Earth to come are employed as counterfeit substitutes for redemption and an eternal afterlife now deemed unreal and therefore unreachable. ;)
A spiritual vacuum is the natural order of things and thus does not concern me in the least. I would be a lot more concerned if I had to live in an intellectual vacuum... Likewise, I am not in the least concerned about paradise. But I will strive for a well balanced ecology...

I am sorry you find it impossible to understand - even partially - our universe, and therefore opted for an imaginary spiritual world to give you some comfort in life...
The price you have to pay, neutering humanity to theoretically attain your social objective is unpalatable to me.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:02 am

dagbay wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:53 pm
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

The price you have to pay, neutering humanity to theoretically attain your social objective is unpalatable to me.
"Neutering humanity?..." What's that?...

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:12 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:02 am
dagbay wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

That is a crude summary of what Sertorio's aspirations look like. A secular civilization where every one has the identical thoughts, moral standards, beliefs and therefore no one infringes on anyone else and all in agreement on the rules of social order. A world of clones at least in mind. That is the peaceful world without disagreements and without religious and other kind of oppression.

If nothing else Sertorio - the physical principal of entropy (always increasing ) would have to be massively violated to get to that utopia.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:45 am

dagbay wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:12 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:02 am
dagbay wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

That is a crude summary of what Sertorio's aspirations look like. A secular civilization where every one has the identical thoughts, moral standards, beliefs and therefore no one infringes on anyone else and all in agreement on the rules of social order. A world of clones at least in mind. That is the peaceful world without disagreements and without religious and other kind of oppression.

If nothing else Sertorio - the physical principal of entropy (always increasing ) would have to be massively violated to get to that utopia.
Where did you get the idea that "a secular civilization (is) where every one has the identical thoughts, moral standards, beliefs and therefore no one infringes on anyone else and all in agreement on the rules of social order"?... A secular society has as much diversity as any other. In fact, it has more, since the absence of a common religion will free people to be as they like. I wonder what led you to think otherwise...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:21 pm

Sertorio wrote:

A spiritual vacuum is the natural order of things and thus does not concern me in the least.

Imaginary nothing, Sertorio. My cosmic universe works!

Pity me not Sertorio! I believe that you are more in need of the compassionate understanding. :)

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:31 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:45 am
In fact, it has more, since the absence of a common religion will free people to be as they like.
You are entitled to your beliefs Sertorio, but please tell me: by " free people to be as they like" do you mean that murderers, rapists, robbers, blackmailers, psychopaths, terrorists and all other evildoers will be free to wrought their havoc on society without restraint? Or do you visualise your much improved society of the future to still have a police force, judiciary and penal system as a needed disciplinary measure in order to to constrain and punish such delinquent behaviour?

Your sunny optimism about mankind's future, like all other utopian visions, fails to take into account the issue of good and evil.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:24 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:31 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:45 am
In fact, it has more, since the absence of a common religion will free people to be as they like.
You are entitled to your beliefs Sertorio, but please tell me: by " free people to be as they like" do you mean that murderers, rapists, robbers, blackmailers, psychopaths, terrorists and all other evildoers will be free to wrought their havoc on society without restraint? Or do you visualise your much improved society of the future to still have a police force, judiciary and penal system as a needed disciplinary measure in order to to constrain and punish such delinquent behaviour?

Your sunny optimism about mankind's future, like all other utopian visions, fails to take into account the issue of good and evil.
Reading yout text one could get the impression that when non-religious people do as they like, that means murdering, raping, robbing, blackmailing, etc.... Non-religious people may be as ethical - or even more ethical - than any religious person. In matter of fact they do good without the need of fear of going to some horrible hell if they don't, which means they do it out of respect for all human beings. A secular society is not a perfect one, it is only a freer and more rational one.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:37 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:21 pm
Sertorio wrote:

A spiritual vacuum is the natural order of things and thus does not concern me in the least.

Imaginary nothing, Sertorio. My cosmic universe works!

Pity me not Sertorio! I believe that you are more in need of the compassionate understanding. :)
Your cosmic universe works...

For Christians, God is eternal, all powerful and all knowing, and the universe is finite and imperfect. So God already had an eternal existence when He decided to create the universe and people it with sentient beings. Why would God need to create the universe? Was He lonely? Did He need imperfect beings to worship Him, maybe in order to truly be a God? Was God incomplete without the material universe? Wouldn't that contradict God's perfection?...

You may think your cosmic universe works, but such an universe would be very irrational indeed...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:37 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Reading yout text one could get the impression that when non-religious people do as they like, that means murdering, raping, robbing, blackmailing, etc.... Non-religious people may be as ethical - or even more ethical - than any religious person. In matter of fact they do good without the need of fear of going to some horrible hell if they don't, which means they do it out of respect for all human beings. A secular society is not a perfect one, it is only a freer and more rational one.
If you want to read that into my text I cannot stop you; but as you are probably well aware, that it not what I meant.

I get the impression that the content of your above post might have been ingenuous for the sake of scoring political points against me.