Trump "surprisingly good'' at foreign policy.

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: Trump "surprisingly good'' at foreign policy.

Post by Sertorio » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:44 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 am
Perhaps it is time that the two Koreas signed a peace treaty and exchanged ambassadors?
The problem with that is that the US may not want it to happen...

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:16 am

Milo wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:24 am
neverfail wrote:
Perhaps it is time that the two Koreas signed a peace treaty and exchanged ambassadors?
I think that whenever NK decides to loosen up it will be a repeat of West Germany: people who have so much in common will unify on their own and the governments will mostly be spectators.

A Republican administration would be sensible enough to be sure the Kims could keep enough loot to be comfortable and find them a discrete place to spend it.
In the interest of peace, somebody should offer the Kims a safe exile to enjoy their loot.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:
I think that whenever NK decides to loosen up it will be a repeat of West Germany: people who have so much in common will unify on their own and the governments will mostly be spectators.

A Republican administration would be sensible enough to be sure the Kims could keep enough loot to be comfortable and find them a discrete place to spend it.
That is going to be sticky if it even gets that far. Though very glad to see you aren't one of these folks Milo

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:50 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:16 am
Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:

In the interest of peace, somebody should offer the Kims a safe exile to enjoy their loot.
I agree.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:44 am
neverfail wrote:
If the Koreans themselves want it then who gives a f*** about what the United States wants?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 pm
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
If the Koreans themselves want it then who gives a f*** about what the United States wants?
My feeling, exactly. But I wonder whether South Korea will have the balls to turn its back on the US...

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:03 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
That's right. Remember that the US troops are in Korea to protect S Korea from N Korea and China.

US troops were in the Philippines once. They had two based - Clarke air base and Subic Bay. But the Filipinos decided that they no longer required US protection and the US withdrew.

So if S Korea feels that they no longer need protection the US will be happy to go.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
My feeling, exactly. But I wonder whether South Korea will have the balls to turn its back on the US...
I am wonder whether North Korea will have the integrity to honour its promises. It has a long track record of making and then breaking its international commitments: violating the trust of others. This could be yet another of the Kim dynasty's such periodic ploys.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:40 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:25 pm
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
I am wonder whether North Korea will have the integrity to honour its promises. It has a long track record of making and then breaking its international commitments: violating the trust of others. This could be yet another of the Kim dynasty's such periodic ploys.
Very true. Trump must insist on verification by inspectors. If the inspectors are kicked out, the sanctions are resumed.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:24 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:40 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:25 pm
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Very true. Trump must insist on verification by inspectors. If the inspectors are kicked out, the sanctions are resumed.
It would be nice if the US would submit itself to the same kind of international inspection it is always demanding for other nations...