Trump "surprisingly good'' at foreign policy.

Discussion of current events
User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 1455
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Trump "surprisingly good'' at foreign policy.

Post by Sertorio » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:44 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 am
Perhaps it is time that the two Koreas signed a peace treaty and exchanged ambassadors?
The problem with that is that the US may not want it to happen...

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 1936
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: Trump "surprisingly good'' at foreign policy.

Post by cassowary » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:16 am

Milo wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:24 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 am
Perhaps it is time that the two Koreas signed a peace treaty and exchanged ambassadors?
I think that whenever NK decides to loosen up it will be a repeat of West Germany: people who have so much in common will unify on their own and the governments will mostly be spectators.

A Republican administration would be sensible enough to be sure the Kims could keep enough loot to be comfortable and find them a discrete place to spend it.
In the interest of peace, somebody should offer the Kims a safe exile to enjoy their loot.

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 1833
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Trump "surprisingly good'' at foreign policy.

Post by Doc » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Milo wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:24 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 am
Perhaps it is time that the two Koreas signed a peace treaty and exchanged ambassadors?
I think that whenever NK decides to loosen up it will be a repeat of West Germany: people who have so much in common will unify on their own and the governments will mostly be spectators.

A Republican administration would be sensible enough to be sure the Kims could keep enough loot to be comfortable and find them a discrete place to spend it.
That is going to be sticky if it even gets that far. Though very glad to see you aren't one of these folks Milo

Image
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1171
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Trump "surprisingly good'' at foreign policy.

Post by Milo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:50 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:16 am
Milo wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:24 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 am
Perhaps it is time that the two Koreas signed a peace treaty and exchanged ambassadors?
I think that whenever NK decides to loosen up it will be a repeat of West Germany: people who have so much in common will unify on their own and the governments will mostly be spectators.

A Republican administration would be sensible enough to be sure the Kims could keep enough loot to be comfortable and find them a discrete place to spend it.
In the interest of peace, somebody should offer the Kims a safe exile to enjoy their loot.
I agree.

neverfail
Posts: 2004
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: Trump "surprisingly good'' at foreign policy.

Post by neverfail » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:44 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 am
Perhaps it is time that the two Koreas signed a peace treaty and exchanged ambassadors?
The problem with that is that the US may not want it to happen...
If the Koreans themselves want it then who gives a f*** about what the United States wants?

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 1455
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Trump "surprisingly good'' at foreign policy.

Post by Sertorio » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:44 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 am
Perhaps it is time that the two Koreas signed a peace treaty and exchanged ambassadors?
The problem with that is that the US may not want it to happen...
If the Koreans themselves want it then who gives a f*** about what the United States wants?
My feeling, exactly. But I wonder whether South Korea will have the balls to turn its back on the US...

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 1936
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: Trump "surprisingly good'' at foreign policy.

Post by cassowary » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:03 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:44 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 am
Perhaps it is time that the two Koreas signed a peace treaty and exchanged ambassadors?
The problem with that is that the US may not want it to happen...
If the Koreans themselves want it then who gives a f*** about what the United States wants?
That's right. Remember that the US troops are in Korea to protect S Korea from N Korea and China.

US troops were in the Philippines once. They had two based - Clarke air base and Subic Bay. But the Filipinos decided that they no longer required US protection and the US withdrew.

So if S Korea feels that they no longer need protection the US will be happy to go.

neverfail
Posts: 2004
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: Trump "surprisingly good'' at foreign policy.

Post by neverfail » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:44 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 am
Perhaps it is time that the two Koreas signed a peace treaty and exchanged ambassadors?
The problem with that is that the US may not want it to happen...
If the Koreans themselves want it then who gives a f*** about what the United States wants?
My feeling, exactly. But I wonder whether South Korea will have the balls to turn its back on the US...
I am wonder whether North Korea will have the integrity to honour its promises. It has a long track record of making and then breaking its international commitments: violating the trust of others. This could be yet another of the Kim dynasty's such periodic ploys.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 1936
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: Trump "surprisingly good'' at foreign policy.

Post by cassowary » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:40 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:25 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:44 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 am
Perhaps it is time that the two Koreas signed a peace treaty and exchanged ambassadors?
The problem with that is that the US may not want it to happen...
If the Koreans themselves want it then who gives a f*** about what the United States wants?
My feeling, exactly. But I wonder whether South Korea will have the balls to turn its back on the US...
I am wonder whether North Korea will have the integrity to honour its promises. It has a long track record of making and then breaking its international commitments: violating the trust of others. This could be yet another of the Kim dynasty's such periodic ploys.
Very true. Trump must insist on verification by inspectors. If the inspectors are kicked out, the sanctions are resumed.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 1455
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Trump "surprisingly good'' at foreign policy.

Post by Sertorio » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:24 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:40 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:25 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:44 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 am
Perhaps it is time that the two Koreas signed a peace treaty and exchanged ambassadors?
The problem with that is that the US may not want it to happen...
If the Koreans themselves want it then who gives a f*** about what the United States wants?
My feeling, exactly. But I wonder whether South Korea will have the balls to turn its back on the US...
I am wonder whether North Korea will have the integrity to honour its promises. It has a long track record of making and then breaking its international commitments: violating the trust of others. This could be yet another of the Kim dynasty's such periodic ploys.
Very true. Trump must insist on verification by inspectors. If the inspectors are kicked out, the sanctions are resumed.
It would be nice if the US would submit itself to the same kind of international inspection it is always demanding for other nations...

Post Reply