Russians forced to attend Putin’s election rally.

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Russians forced to attend Putin’s election rally.

Post by neverfail » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:46 am

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... aign-rally

When they have to pressure 'supporters' to attend an election rally, any pretense that the voters have a free choice to make is blown away.

Sertorio

Re: Russians forced to attend Putin’s election rally.

Post by Sertorio » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:28 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:46 am

When they have to pressure 'supporters' to attend an election rally, any pretense that the voters have a free choice to make is blown away.
Do you truly believe Putin would have to twist any arms in order to fill the stadium with supporters? With more than 80% approval rating among Russians, what need is there for such tactics? That's another piece of fake news / propaganda to try and make Putin look bad. To no avail. He is going to be reelected and will continue fighting against US hegemony. It will be fun to see, after the elections, the western press cheering the fact that Putin "only" got 65% of the vote... :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:28 am
neverfail wrote:

Do you truly believe Putin would have to twist any arms in order to fill the stadium with supporters? With more than 80% approval rating among Russians, what need is there for such tactics? That's another piece of fake news / propaganda to try and make Putin look bad. To no avail. He is going to be reelected and will continue fighting against US hegemony. It will be fun to see, after the elections, the western press cheering the fact that Putin "only" got 65% of the vote... :D
https://www.voanews.com/a/russia-polls- ... 88142.html

Russian ***State*** Pollsters: Putin Popularity Slipping Ahead of Election

According to VTsIOM, Putin's popularity fell from almost 70 percent to slightly above 57 percent in large and mid-size Russian cities whose populations cumulatively represent roughly one quarter of the electorate.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:18 am

Doc wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 pm
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

According to VTsIOM, Putin's popularity fell from almost 70 percent to slightly above 57 percent in large and mid-size Russian cities whose populations cumulatively represent roughly one quarter of the electorate.
In a few days we will know...

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Doc wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 pm
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Now we know: Putin got about 76% of the vote, which shows how the "experts" keep throwing at us their wishful thinking. I have no doubt that even some of the posters here were hoping support for Putin was falling. Well, it isn't. And maybe the persistent Russiaphobic posture of Americans and Europeans will help explaining why his share of the Russian vote goes up. Russians must realize that Russia is being unfairly treated and accused of all horrible crimes, and their vote is their way of telling us what they think of our aggressive posture. In any case Putin will now be in a much stronger position to react forcefully to any future US attacks on Syria. Let's hope the US Administration understands that.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:21 pm
Now we know: Putin got about 76% of the vote, which shows how the "experts" keep throwing at us their wishful thinking. I have no doubt that even some of the posters here were hoping support for Putin was falling. Well, it isn't. And maybe the persistent Russiaphobic posture of Americans and Europeans will help explaining why his share of the Russian vote goes up. Russians must realize that Russia is being unfairly treated and accused of all horrible crimes, and their vote is their way of telling us what they think of our aggressive posture. In any case Putin will now be in a much stronger position to react forcefully to any future US attacks on Syria. Let's hope the US Administration understands that.
Please stop insulting the intelligence of the people on this forum by expecting us to respond as though it were a free and fair election the true results of which were accurately reported.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:05 pm

Sertorio wrote:

Why did Putin do so well in the elections?

Um, how about he cheated by murdering his opponents? Here is an example:

Boris Nemtsov

cassowary

Report of cheating

Post by cassowary » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:02 pm

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:02 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:22 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Please stop insulting the intelligence of the people on this forum by expecting us to respond as though it were a free and fair election the true results of which were accurately reported.
It was at least as free and fair as any election in the US. And there were 1,500 international observers who didn't see anything irregular happening. In any case, there is no way one can fake 77% support! You may hate Putin, but Russians seem to have a different opinion. And it's their opinion that counts, not yours. I'm only sorry that people like you have fallen in the trap of the systematic demonizing of Russia, just because Russia is making it difficult for the US to dictate to the world. I recognize that Putin is not the democratic leader I would want to have in my country, but I also recognize that Russia has never known democracy and has a long history of authoritarian rule. The ideal for Russians is a benevolent strong ruler, not a democratic one. That's their business, not ours, And as long as such a ruler helps us to free ourselves from American diktat and American made wars, I am all in favour.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:06 am

cassowary wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:05 pm
Sertorio wrote:

Why did Putin do so well in the elections?

Um, how about he cheated by murdering his opponents? Here is an example:

Boris Nemtsov
There were enough opponents, if people had wanted to vote against Putin. And it is interesting to see that the second most voted candidate was the one backed by the Communist Party. I am also surprised by your criticism of Putin's authoritarian posture, when you live in a country where rulers are at least as authoritarian as Putin...