Discussion of current events
SteveFoerster

Re: Russia meddled in U.S. election: George W. Bush

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:39 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:17 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Trump and the Bush family are staunch enemies, not allies. Don't forget that Trump humiliated Dubya's brother Jeb all primary season long. For this reason, I'd say it carries no additional credibility at all.

(Doesn't mean he's wrong, though.)
"it carries no credibility" and yet it "Doesn't mean he's wrong"?

Steve, aren't you aware of an apparent contradiction here?
Don't use quotes if they're not going to contain what I actually said. I said additional credibility, because I was explaining why the Bushes have an incentive to say unflattering things about Trump. The rest of the point is that just because someone has an incentive to say unflattering things doesn't mean those things cannot be true.

Clear yet?
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:31 pm

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02- ... 1-and-lost
Hillary Clinton Outspent Russians 53-1... And Lost
Profile picture for user Tyler Durden
by Tyler Durden
Sat, 02/17/2018 - 14:45

The mixed messages from yesterday's "shocking" indictments of some Russian trolls (while The FBI was busily ignoring potential mass murderers in Florida) need some context to calm the chaotic "told you so" narrative spewing from every orifice of every side in this debacle.

Hillary Clinton spent 53 times more money per month than Russians seeking to influence the 2016 presidential election.

As The Daily Caller's Amber Athey details, according to reports, the monthly Russian budget for the operation to meddle in the election was $1.2 million. As Peter Hamby pointed out on Twitter, Clinton and supporting PAC Priorities USA spent approximately $800 million in 2016.

Not to diminish how awful this is, but $1.2 million is hardly mindblowing. Hillary Clinton + Priorities USA spent ~$800 million in 2016. https://t.co/CWpV7u8iip
— Peter Hamby (@PeterHamby) February 16, 2018

That means Clinton and her PAC spent about $66 million a month in 2016, a whopping 53 times more money than Russia’s $1.25 million monthly budget.

It’s also worth nothing that not all of the money spent by the Russian operation was used to campaign for President Donald Trump. According to the Mueller indictment released Friday, Russian trolls also supported Jill Stein and Bernie Sanders and even planted seeds for leftist groups like “Blacktivist” and “Woke Blacks.”

After the election, Russians continued to sow division in the United States by riling up “#Resist” groups involved in anti-Trump protests.

But none of that matters... Russians 'meddled' - end of story, Adam Schiff will no doubt be popping corks this weekend.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Does anyone know how many elections in foreign countries which the US meddled - and which ones these are?

Harder to wallow in righteous indignation once you become aware of having sinned the same way.

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:01 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 pm
Does anyone know how many elections in foreign countries which the US meddled - and which ones these are?

Harder to wallow in righteous indignation once you become aware of having sinned the same way.
Meddling in other countries affairs is not a matter of morals, it's a matter of capacity.

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 am

A London-based lawyer has been charged with making false statements to investigators looking at links between Donald Trump's election campaign team and Russia.

Court papers filed in Washington DC on Friday but made public on Tuesday allege that Mr van der Zwaan:

deleted or did not produce emails sought by the special counsel's office

made a false statement about when he was last in contact with "Person A", who has not been identified

made a false statement about when he was last in contact with former Trump aide Rick Gates, who has already been charged by the special counsel with conspiracy to launder money

Mr Gates and his former colleague Paul Manafort - who went on to become Mr Trump's campaign chief - have also been charged by the special counsel with acting as "unregistered agents" of Ukrainian politician Viktor Yanukovych and his party.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43131795

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:11 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 am
A London-based lawyer has been charged with making false statements to investigators looking at links between Donald Trump's election campaign team and Russia.

Court papers filed in Washington DC on Friday but made public on Tuesday allege that Mr van der Zwaan:

made a false statement about when he was last in contact with "Person A", who has not been identified

made a false statement about when he was last in contact with former Trump aide Rick Gates, who has already been charged by the special counsel with conspiracy to launder money

Mr Gates and his former colleague Paul Manafort - who went on to become Mr Trump's campaign chief - have also been charged by the special counsel with acting as "unregistered agents" of Ukrainian politician Viktor Yanukovych and his party.

Letr's see among the crimes he confessed to was deleting subpoenaed emails. Now where have I heard that before?
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:29 pm

Doc wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:11 pm
Milo wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 am

Letr's see among the crimes he confessed to was deleting subpoenaed emails. Now where have I heard that before?
What is your point?

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Mueller files new charges against ex-Trump aides Manafort and Gates

The special counsel investigating possible collusion between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin has stepped up pressure on the former campaign manager, Paul Manafort, by filing new sealed court charges against him.

Reuters saw a court record referring to the sealed charges, which were also directed against Rick Gates, Manafort’s former business associate, but the documents provided no details on the nature of the charges.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... fbi-latest

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:21 pm

Mueller Squeezes Manafort and Gates With New Tax Charges

Mueller used a new 32-count indictment in Alexandria, Virginia, to raise the legal stakes against the duo, who were initially indicted on Oct. 27 in Washington on charges of laundering millions of dollars and failing to register as foreign agents for their political consulting work over a decade in Ukraine.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ssia-probe

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:33 am

Former Donald Trump campaign official Rick Gates pleaded guilty Friday to two criminal charges in special counsel Robert Mueller's wide-ranging investigation of Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential campaign and related activities.

As part of Gates' agreement, which dismisses a handful of money laundering and other criminal charges, Gates will have to cooperate with the special counsel by turning over all documents relevant to the investigation, speak with investigators as they wish and possibly testify in other court cases, including Manafort's. Gates may also even be asked to go undercover.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/politics ... index.html