Is Pelosi's coming visit to Taiwan good or bad?

Discussion of current events
Milo

Re: Is Pelosi's coming visit to Taiwan good or bad?

Post by Milo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:52 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:23 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:09 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:50 am

No, because you are very ignorant of all military matters.
That would bite harder if your definition for that weren't just "anyone who disagrees with you".

Besides, if anyone here has an overinflated sense of their own expertise, it's you.
Military things do not require great intelligence, but they do require a particular frame of mind which can only be acquired through experience. My three years in the military, two of which in the middle of a guerrilla war, gave me that frame of mind. Contrarily to you, I know what makes sense strategically, tactically and operationally. I understand what the Russians are doing in the Ukraine, while you don't. I probably would be a bit more radical operationally than they are, but I understand why they have chosen to take a less aggressive posture. Every civilian they injure or kill is likely to be a future citizen of Russia, or a family member of someone who is. If avoiding hurting them means more time before they defeat the Ukrainians, so be it. That doesn't mean Russians are not militarily competent, only that they are not as heartless as the British and American military.
Putin was never in the military.

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:25 pm

Sertorio wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:09 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:50 am

No, because you are very ignorant of all military matters.
That would bite harder if your definition for that weren't just "anyone who disagrees with you".

Besides, if anyone here has an overinflated sense of their own expertise, it's you.
Military things do not require great intelligence, but they do require a particular frame of mind which can only be acquired through experience. My three years in the military, two of which in the middle of a guerrilla war, gave me that frame of mind. Contrarily to you, I know what makes sense strategically, tactically and operationally. I understand what the Russians are doing in the Ukraine, while you don't. I probably would be a bit more radical operationally than they are, but I understand why they have chosen to take a less aggressive posture. Every civilian they injure or kill is likely to be a future citizen of Russia, or a family member of someone who is. If avoiding hurting them means more time before they defeat the Ukrainians, so be it. That doesn't mean Russians are not militarily competent, only that they are not as heartless as the British and American military.
I know what RUssia is doing in Ukraine. THEY ARE INVADING IT !!. SO what do you think Russia is doing in Ukraine?

Oh yeah .....
duma1.jpg
duma1.jpg (84.84 KiB) Viewed 105 times
duma2.jpg
duma2.jpg (89.18 KiB) Viewed 105 times
duma3.jpg
duma3.jpg (88.38 KiB) Viewed 105 times
duma4.jpg
duma4.jpg (70.75 KiB) Viewed 105 times
https://rumble.com/vuakym-the-soviet-st ... 2022..html
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:39 pm

Sertorio wrote:

Is it not a pity that the Russian invasion of Ukraine is based on a lie?

Tactically clever, strategically stupid!

(....and please spare us your rank-pulling 'holier than thou' attitude Sertorio. Just because you have past experience as a junior officer in Angola does not necessarily endow you with the ability to think like a field marshal.)

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:47 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:39 pm
Sertorio wrote:

(....and please spare us your rank-pulling 'holier than thou' attitude Sertorio. Just because you have past experience as a junior officer in Angola does not necessarily endow you with the ability to think like a field marshal.)
According to Sertorio's standard, Putin doesn't know what he's doing.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:15 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

I was for a time in command of an artillery battery, and for a time in charge of intelligence in that unit. And I assure you that I am quite capable of thinking strategically, because I am not dumb. For two years I had to give a lot of thought to military issues, also on an operational basis. I assure you that I understand a lot better than any of you what is happening militarily in the Ukraine. You may find it vexing that it is so, but that's how it is. The military idiocies you are prepared to believe in respect of that war are more than enough proof that you are not prepared to know better. And rather than accepting that I may be better equipped to understand those things you arrogantly prefer to call me a "junior officer". Junior as I may have been, I am infinitely your senior in knowledge and understanding of military issues. Sometime in the near future I will be able to draw your attention to the things I have been saying on that account, and ask you to compare them to the things you have been saying. With a bit of luck I may even see some of you recognizing I was right and you were wrong...

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:47 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:15 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

I was for a time in command of an artillery battery, and for a time in charge of intelligence in that unit. And I assure you that I am quite capable of thinking strategically, because I am not dumb. For two years I had to give a lot of thought to military issues, also on an operational basis. I assure you that I understand a lot better than any of you what is happening militarily in the Ukraine. You may find it vexing that it is so, but that's how it is. The military idiocies you are prepared to believe in respect of that war are more than enough proof that you are not prepared to know better. And rather than accepting that I may be better equipped to understand those things you arrogantly prefer to call me a "junior officer". Junior as I may have been, I am infinitely your senior in knowledge and understanding of military issues. Sometime in the near future I will be able to draw your attention to the things I have been saying on that account, and ask you to compare them to the things you have been saying. With a bit of luck I may even see some of you recognizing I was right and you were wrong...
So, Putin doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:21 pm

Milo wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:47 pm
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

Putin is assisted by top military men. While political decisions are Putin's, the military development of those policies will depend on the advice of competent military men. So it is very likely that he does know what he is doing. Particularly as having been a lieutenant-colonel in the KGB he must have had some military education. As far as I can assess, he hasn't made any major mistake in his military decisions in the Ukraine. But you wouldn't be able to know it, would you?...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:54 pm

Oh man, I am loving this. This thing where you pretend that you of all people have the unassailable opinion is absolute comedy gold! In fact, I should have used a different pussycat image!

Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:22 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:54 pm
Oh man, I am loving this. This thing where you pretend that you of all people have the unassailable opinion is absolute comedy gold! In fact, I should have used a different pussycat image!

Better but I would’ve used a mouse.

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:25 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:21 pm
Milo wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:47 pm
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

Zelenskyy is assisted by top military men. While political decisions are Zelenskyy’s, the military development of those policies will depend on the advice of competent military men. So it is very likely that he does know what he is doing. Particularly as having been a comedian, he must have had some military education. As far as I can assess, he hasn't made any major mistake in his military decisions in the Ukraine. But you wouldn't be able to know it, would you?...