Is Pelosi's coming visit to Taiwan good or bad?

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: Is Pelosi's coming visit to Taiwan good or bad?

Post by Sertorio » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:49 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:27 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:58 am
Then they invaded the wrong country, because US forces are stationed in NATO countries, not Ukraine. Whoops!
They are not there as occupation troops either, like the former Soviet troops stationed in several of these countries previously but are there to send a clear message to Moscow "if you try to do to our countries what you are presently doing to Ukraine you will have a war with the United States on your hands".
A war the US wouldn't be able to win and therefore which will never be waged...

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:23 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:49 pm
neverfail wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Then they invaded the wrong country, because US forces are stationed in NATO countries, not Ukraine. Whoops!
They are not there as occupation troops either, like the former Soviet troops stationed in several of these countries previously but are there to send a clear message to Moscow "if you try to do to our countries what you are presently doing to Ukraine you will have a war with the United States on your hands".
KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THAT ;)
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:05 am

Doc wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:23 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:49 pm
neverfail wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THAT ;)
Well, think about it Doc. US fights a war of China's doorstep? Supply lines long and costly; vulnerable to interdiction. China = supply lines short, cheap and relatively interdiction proof. Tactical advantage to China from start to finish.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:43 am

China and Russia are not the same situation.

China is uninvadable. Russia, however, has gone far out of its way to prove to the world how unexpectedly weak it is militarily and to weaken itself further in the process.

But does it matter when we live in a world with nuclear weapons? No one wins a third world war. No one.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:14 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:43 am

China is uninvadable. Russia, however, has gone far out of its way to prove to the world how unexpectedly weak it is militarily and to weaken itself further in the process.

But does it matter when we live in a world with nuclear weapons? No one wins a third world war. No one.
Steve, you are in no position to assess how strong or how weak the Russian armed forces are. Just remember that Russia has used no more than 12-15% of its present armed forces in the war in the Ukraine, having preferred to keep the rest as reserve in case NATO did something truly stupid. Destruction of the Ukrainian armed forces may thus take a bit longer, but Russia is in no hurry. In the end Russia will have around 200,000 men with combat experience, which may come very handy in dealing with the NATO amateurs. And Russian weapons will have had a real combat experience, namely the precision missiles and the hypersonic missiles.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:42 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:14 am
SteveFoerster wrote:

Steve, you are in no position to assess how strong or how weak the Russian armed forces are.
Why, because I don't read TASS?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:50 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:42 am
Sertorio wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:

Steve, you are in no position to assess how strong or how weak the Russian armed forces are.
No, because you are very ignorant of all military matters.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:09 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:50 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:42 am
Sertorio wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:

That would bite harder if your definition for that weren't just "anyone who disagrees with you".

Besides, if anyone here has an overinflated sense of their own expertise, it's you.

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:19 am

It is never been more important that the US support Taiwan.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:23 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:09 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:50 am

That would bite harder if your definition for that weren't just "anyone who disagrees with you".

Besides, if anyone here has an overinflated sense of their own expertise, it's you.
Military things do not require great intelligence, but they do require a particular frame of mind which can only be acquired through experience. My three years in the military, two of which in the middle of a guerrilla war, gave me that frame of mind. Contrarily to you, I know what makes sense strategically, tactically and operationally. I understand what the Russians are doing in the Ukraine, while you don't. I probably would be a bit more radical operationally than they are, but I understand why they have chosen to take a less aggressive posture. Every civilian they injure or kill is likely to be a future citizen of Russia, or a family member of someone who is. If avoiding hurting them means more time before they defeat the Ukrainians, so be it. That doesn't mean Russians are not militarily competent, only that they are not as heartless as the British and American military.