‘Incorruptible’: The Man Standing Between Beijing and One of the World’s Largest Copper Mines

Discussion of current events
SteveFoerster

Re: ‘Incorruptible’: The Man Standing Between Beijing and One of the World’s Largest Copper Mines

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:13 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:18 pm
I was only striving to make the point (which you seem to have missed) that Australia, globally a middle ranking power at best, has been a big player among the Pacific islands micro-states because we are situated in a low pressure corner of the globe where we have traditionally had no serious competition for the role of kingpin. Now the People's Republic of China is trying to but in on our domain.
I understood you, and agree. My mind just wandered a little afterwards. :lol:
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

neverfail

Re: ‘Incorruptible’: The Man Standing Between Beijing and One of the World’s Largest Copper Mines

Post by neverfail » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:05 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:13 am
neverfail wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:18 pm
I was only striving to make the point (which you seem to have missed) that Australia, globally a middle ranking power at best, has been a big player among the Pacific islands micro-states because we are situated in a low pressure corner of the globe where we have traditionally had no serious competition for the role of kingpin. Now the People's Republic of China is trying to but in on our domain.
I understood you, and agree. My mind just wandered a little afterwards. :lol:
No big deal!

But Bougainville and the island's copper-gold orebody pale into insignificance compared to what is happening in the Solomon Islands immediately to Bougainville's east.

On Australian Broadcasting Corporation television a current affairs program exposed just how much PRC money is taking control of this Pacific islands country. Their government is a "bought" government.

https://www.abc.net.au/4corners/pacific ... e/13998414

Pacific Capture: How Chinese money is buying the Solomons.

Meantime, Australia has its hands full keeping other south west Pacific countries including Papua New Guinea and Fiji out of the China camp.