The left should be happy with Biden

Discussion of current events
SteveFoerster

Re: The left should be happy with Biden

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:54 am

cassowary wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:40 am
500 million? Still too many. Even 250 million is too many.
Not at all. Even at a billion people (which we'd never get to even under the highest possible numbers) the US would have lower population density than Germany or Italy.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:47 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:54 am
cassowary wrote:
Not at all. Even at a billion people (which we'd never get to even under the highest possible numbers) the US would have lower population density than Germany or Italy.
1)If they are from the Third World, your standard of living will fall because of their poor education.

2)If there are so many people wanting to go to the US, be picky. Choose the smart, educated folks who can bring in skills. Also choose the rich folks who got capital to invest. This policy will benefit your country.
The Imp :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:26 pm

cassowary wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:47 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
cassowary wrote:
1)If they are from the Third World, your standard of living will fall because of their poor education.

2)If there are so many people wanting to go to the US, be picky. Choose the smart, educated folks who can bring in skills. Also choose the rich folks who got capital to invest. This policy will benefit your country.
Recalling how I helped sponsor my in-laws into Australia from a quite poor third world country I can positively say the following:

Having a loving heart combined good moral and ethical standards has absolutely nothing to do with a person's standard of formal education or the size of his investment portfolio.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:54 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:26 pm
cassowary wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Recalling how I helped sponsor my in-laws into Australia from a quite poor third world country I can positively say the following:

Having a loving heart combined good moral and ethical standards has absolutely nothing to do with a person's standard of formal education or the size of his investment portfolio.
That is also true Neverfail. But educational attainments and size of portfolios can be easily quantified. The size of a loving heart cannot.

Most countries, including Australia, have an investment lane for immigrants. Migrants willing to invest a minimum sum are given citizenship or at least PR status.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:16 pm

cassowary wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
cassowary wrote:
We've had this conversation. That's still not the case, especially in the long run.
cassowary wrote:
They're all a net benefit. The one's you're highlighting may merely be more so.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:40 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:16 pm
cassowary wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
cassowary wrote:
We've had this conversation. That's still not the case, especially in the long run.
What about the short run? You have to wait one generation before their kids grow up. Not all will be university graduates. Why not pick up the graduates today? In that way you benefit in the long AND short run.
cassowary wrote:
They're all a net benefit. The one's you're highlighting may merely be more so.
So? That means you gain the most benefit by being choosy NOW. Just pick the best educated or richest migrants to your country instead of an open door that accepts anybody on the theory that their kids will be net benefits.
Last edited by cassowary on Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:47 pm

cassowary wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:54 pm
neverfail wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:26 pm
cassowary wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
cassowary wrote:

That is also true Neverfail. But educational attainments and size of portfolios can be easily quantified. The size of a loving heart cannot.

Most countries, including Australia, have an investment lane for immigrants. Migrants willing to invest a minimum sum are given citizenship or at least PR status.
Australia requires a minimum investment of $2.5 million to get citizenship.

Here is Portugal’s version of investor migrant law:

https://property-smith.com/?gclid=Cj0KC ... K4EALw_wcB.

Once given citizenship in an EU country, you can reside anywhere in the EU.

See? Most countries want rich people as immigrants. Also educated people. But Steve is happy to accept poor, uneducated people.

I think he got brainwashed by the idealistic hogwash written in the Statue of Liberty.

“ Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”

In the real world, most countries prefer:

“Give me your energetic, your rich, your educated snobs, yearning to get richer.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:17 pm

I think somebody should rewrite Emma Lazuras’ poem on the Statue of Liberty.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:34 am

cassowary wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:17 pm
I think somebody should rewrite Emma Lazuras’ poem on the Statue of Liberty.
Next you'll call for tearing down Liberty herself.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:27 pm

cassowary wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:47 pm

Australia requires a minimum investment of $2.5 million to get citizenship.

No Cassowary. We are not so mercenary out here that we sell citizenship rights to foreign well-heeled Little Lord Big Egos like you allege. An investment like that allows such aspirants only permissive residence in Australia: and that only after the applicant passes police checks etc for any evidence of past criminal activity etc like any other would-be immigrant to Australia.

Even after arrival in Australia he (or she) is still only here "on probation" for the following three years before that person can apply for citizenship; the same as any other foreign immigrant - and if they break the law or do anything else that. They still have to "jump through the usually hoops": which is only fair and equable to all concerned.

Conversely, this country operates what is probably (per capita) the world's most generous resettlement program for UNHCR approved refugees. I personally have met individuals like that who originate from the likes of Afghanistan and Africa. In the case among the African contingent especially numerous seem to be the ones from South Sudan: a place of violent upheaval both before and after this cursed country wrested its independence from Sudan.