SteveFoerster

Re: The left should be happy with Biden

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:23 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:53 pm
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:11 pm
"The left should be happy with Biden?"

Well, I do not consider myself of the left but with some doubts and misgivings re. his competence I am basically content with Joe Biden for one reason only: he removed Donald Trump from the US presidency.
But he is mismanaging the country. Biden is incompetent. Trump looks good in comparison.
As feckless as Biden is, no, Trump doesn't look good by comparison.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:06 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:26 am
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Well, I do not consider myself of the left but with some doubts and misgivings re. his competence I am basically content with Joe Biden for one reason only: he removed Donald Trump from the US presidency.
But he is mismanaging the country. Biden is incompetent. Trump looks good in comparison.
:lol: You must be fucking-well joking Cassowary!
What achievents have Biden accomplished?
The Imp :D

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:21 am

cassowary wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:06 am
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

NF can speak for himself but, ever heard of Wikipedia?

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:03 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:21 am
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Biden? It is what he HAS NOT DONE that recommends the man way ahead of Trump.

He did not (for instance) incite a violent mob of supporters to storm the Capitol building on January 6th 2022 in order to disrupt the certification of the election result or anything else similarly treasonable. He has honoured his pledge to uphold and defend the US constitution while Trump betrayed his.

Cassowary, I know that in posts in the recent past you have noted that Trump was/is "a sore loser" but what you miss is that there is more to it than that. The man is in a state of denial over his election loss and still pushes the line that 'the election was stolen' from him. What is worse is that he has millions of deluded supporters who believe the lie too.

I have in the past posted one or two criticisms of the US constitution but despite that I feel much more comfortable with the US being led by a president who respects that constitution than with one who treats it with contempt.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:41 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:03 pm
Milo wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:21 am
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Biden? It is what he HAS NOT DONE that recommends the man way ahead of Trump.

He did not (for instance) incite a violent mob of supporters to storm the Capitol building on January 6th 2022 in order to disrupt the certification of the election result or anything else similarly treasonable. He has honoured his pledge to uphold and defend the US constitution while Trump betrayed his.

Cassowary, I know that in posts in the recent past you have noted that Trump was/is "a sore loser" but what you miss is that there is more to it than that. The man is in a state of denial over his election loss and still pushes the line that 'the election was stolen' from him. What is worse is that he has millions of deluded supporters who believe the lie too.

I have in the past posted one or two criticisms of the US constitution but despite that I feel much more comfortable with the US being led by a president who respects that constitution than with one who treats it with contempt.
What Biden has not done is an achievement?

Biden has not:

1)managed the economy well. Inflation, growth sluggish, lost jobs, recession probably coming.
2)made American energy independent
3)prevented illegals from crossing the border
4)got the Arabs and Israelis to sign the Abrhamic Accord

Trump did all these things.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:27 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:41 am

Biden has not:

1)managed the economy well. Inflation, growth sluggish, lost jobs, recession probably coming.

1) The Trump administration's decisions, both during the pandemic and the Republican tax cut that didn't include any spending cuts, contributed to the inflation we're seeing now.
2) Fracking was the main change that increased energy independence in the US, and that happened under the Obama administration.
3) Trump didn't prevent unregistered immigration, his wall was a joke meant to fool dimwitted populists.
4) But yes, at least we have peace in the Middle East now thanks to Trump. :lol:

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:58 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:27 am
cassowary wrote:

Biden has not:

1) The Trump administration's decisions, both during the pandemic and the Republican tax cut that didn't include any spending cuts, contributed to the inflation we're seeing now.
2) Fracking was the main change that increased energy independence in the US, and that happened under the Obama administration.
3) Trump didn't prevent unregistered immigration, his wall was a joke meant to fool dimwitted populists.
4) But yes, at least we have peace in the Middle East now thanks to Trump. :lol:

Well said, Steve.

Cassowary: Joe Biden presides over (that's what presidents do :D ) the ills you mentioned above but that does not mean that he caused them. A newly elected president is stuck with the legacy bequeathed by preceding administration/s and has to cope with that as best he can.

No US president can wave a magic wand and make problems disappear. As I see it the ability of any US administration to achieve some good on the domestic front especially is quite constrained.

Having stated that; apart from peace in the Middle East the positive side of the legacy of Trump's 4 years in office is at best very modest while the negative side, further dividing a fractured society for instance, seems quite pronounced.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:40 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:27 am
cassowary wrote:

Biden has not:

Also Trump's deregi;ation helped small and medium size businesses create new jobs. So he deserves credit for that.

Trump also started the "Stay in Mexico" program which discouraged illegals. Biden tried to end that. I think the US should abandon the asylum seekers program. What if 1 billion people all over the world from every hellhole applies for asylum?

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:35 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:40 pm
Trump also started the "Stay in Mexico" program which discouraged illegals. Biden tried to end that. I think the US should abandon the asylum seekers program.
The right of asylum goes back to antiquity. It's listed in the UN Declaration of Human Rights, and there are multiple international conventions concerning it. If other countries shouldn't just disregard human rights and international agreements when they are inconvenient, then neither should the US.
cassowary wrote:
What if 1 billion people all over the world from every hellhole applies for asylum?
Then you should invest in construction companies. It will be a boom like no one has ever seen.

But that's not what would happen anyway. There's been polling done internationally on how many people would emigrate if they were free to do so, and where they would go. It turns out that even in a perfectly free world for immigration, only about 500 million people would come to the US. Of those, how many aren't just talking? And of those, how many would have the means? This continent is mostly empty. I say let them.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:40 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:35 am
cassowary wrote:
Trump also started the "Stay in Mexico" program which discouraged illegals. Biden tried to end that. I think the US should abandon the asylum seekers program.
The right of asylum goes back to antiquity. It's listed in the UN Declaration of Human Rights, and there are multiple international conventions concerning it. If other countries shouldn't just disregard human rights and international agreements when they are inconvenient, then neither should the US.
cassowary wrote:
What if 1 billion people all over the world from every hellhole applies for asylum?
Then you should invest in construction companies. It will be a boom like no one has ever seen.

But that's not what would happen anyway. There's been polling done internationally on how many people would emigrate if they were free to do so, and where they would go. It turns out that even in a perfectly free world for immigration, only about 500 million people would come to the US. Of those, how many aren't just talking? And of those, how many would have the means? This continent is mostly empty. I say let them.
500 million? Still too many. Even 250 million is too many.