The left should be happy with Biden

Discussion of current events
User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 6060
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The left should be happy with Biden

Post by cassowary » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:28 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:17 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:12 pm
Why don’t you have an immigration policy like we do to attract skilled labour? Give priority to better educated or richer immigrants. They too will have kids who will be well educated. In that way, you benefit both in the short and long term. Why are you leaving it to chance. Some illegals may be criminals running away from the law in their countries.
Why? Nativism, mostly. I'm the first to agree that US immigration policy is really shortsighted, and I'd be happy to make it easier for just about anyone who wants to come. In particular, you've heard me say before that those who graduate from US universities, especially in STEM subjects, ought to have greencards automatically stapled to their diplomas.
Good idea.
The Imp :D

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 3809
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Probably DCA, YYJ, or DOM
Contact:

Re: The left should be happy with Biden

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:37 pm

Milo wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:03 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:17 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:12 pm
Why don’t you have an immigration policy like we do to attract skilled labour? Give priority to better educated or richer immigrants. They too will have kids who will be well educated. In that way, you benefit both in the short and long term. Why are you leaving it to chance. Some illegals may be criminals running away from the law in their countries.
Why? Nativism, mostly. I'm the first to agree that US immigration policy is really shortsighted, and I'd be happy to make it easier for just about anyone who wants to come. In particular, you've heard me say before that those who graduate from US universities, especially in STEM subjects, ought to have greencards automatically stapled to their diplomas.
In hindsight maybe the US should’ve conquered Mexico.
What happened to Mexico was already bad enough.

That said, I've read that annexing it altogether was considered after Mexico City was occupied by the US in the 1840's, but that US policymakers of the time decided that would mean too many American citizens would be Catholic so they "only" stole Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

User avatar
neverfail
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Australia

Re: The left should be happy with Biden

Post by neverfail » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:32 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:37 pm

What happened to Mexico was already bad enough.

That said, I've read that annexing it altogether was considered after Mexico City was occupied by the US in the 1840's, but that US policymakers of the time decided that would mean too many American citizens would be Catholic so they "only" stole Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.
So but for religious bigotry the US could have stretched as far south as the current Mexico-Guatemala border?

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 8298
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: The left should be happy with Biden

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:17 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:32 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:37 pm

What happened to Mexico was already bad enough.

That said, I've read that annexing it altogether was considered after Mexico City was occupied by the US in the 1840's, but that US policymakers of the time decided that would mean too many American citizens would be Catholic so they "only" stole Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.
So but for religious bigotry the US could have stretched as far south as the current Mexico-Guatemala border?
The US has always had high-minded reasons for its policies...

User avatar
neverfail
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Australia

Re: The left should be happy with Biden

Post by neverfail » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:38 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:17 am
The US has always had high-minded reasons for its policies...
:lol: I will accept that as having been written in irony.

User avatar
neverfail
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Australia

Re: The left should be happy with Biden

Post by neverfail » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:11 pm

"The left should be happy with Biden?"

Well, I do not consider myself of the left but with some doubts and misgivings re. his competence I am basically content with Joe Biden for one reason only: he removed Donald Trump from the US presidency.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 6060
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The left should be happy with Biden

Post by cassowary » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:53 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:11 pm
"The left should be happy with Biden?"

Well, I do not consider myself of the left but with some doubts and misgivings re. his competence I am basically content with Joe Biden for one reason only: he removed Donald Trump from the US presidency.
But he is mismanaging the country. Biden is incompetent. Trump looks good in comparison.
The Imp :D

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 8298
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: The left should be happy with Biden

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:11 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:53 pm
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:11 pm
"The left should be happy with Biden?"

Well, I do not consider myself of the left but with some doubts and misgivings re. his competence I am basically content with Joe Biden for one reason only: he removed Donald Trump from the US presidency.
But he is mismanaging the country. Biden is incompetent. Trump looks good in comparison.
Kim Jong Un looks good in comparison to both of them... :lol:

User avatar
neverfail
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Australia

Re: The left should be happy with Biden

Post by neverfail » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:26 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:53 pm
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:11 pm
"The left should be happy with Biden?"

Well, I do not consider myself of the left but with some doubts and misgivings re. his competence I am basically content with Joe Biden for one reason only: he removed Donald Trump from the US presidency.
But he is mismanaging the country. Biden is incompetent. Trump looks good in comparison.
:lol: You must be fucking-well joking Cassowary!

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 4254
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: The left should be happy with Biden

Post by Milo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:39 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:26 am
cassowary wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:53 pm
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:11 pm
"The left should be happy with Biden?"

Well, I do not consider myself of the left but with some doubts and misgivings re. his competence I am basically content with Joe Biden for one reason only: he removed Donald Trump from the US presidency.
But he is mismanaging the country. Biden is incompetent. Trump looks good in comparison.
:lol: You must be fucking-well joking Cassowary!
Cass never met a Republican talking point he didn’t like.

Post Reply