Discussion of current events
cassowary

Re: The left should be happy with Biden

Post by cassowary » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:28 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:17 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:12 pm
Why don’t you have an immigration policy like we do to attract skilled labour? Give priority to better educated or richer immigrants. They too will have kids who will be well educated. In that way, you benefit both in the short and long term. Why are you leaving it to chance. Some illegals may be criminals running away from the law in their countries.
Why? Nativism, mostly. I'm the first to agree that US immigration policy is really shortsighted, and I'd be happy to make it easier for just about anyone who wants to come. In particular, you've heard me say before that those who graduate from US universities, especially in STEM subjects, ought to have greencards automatically stapled to their diplomas.
Good idea.
The Imp :D

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:37 pm

Milo wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:03 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:17 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:12 pm
Why don’t you have an immigration policy like we do to attract skilled labour? Give priority to better educated or richer immigrants. They too will have kids who will be well educated. In that way, you benefit both in the short and long term. Why are you leaving it to chance. Some illegals may be criminals running away from the law in their countries.
Why? Nativism, mostly. I'm the first to agree that US immigration policy is really shortsighted, and I'd be happy to make it easier for just about anyone who wants to come. In particular, you've heard me say before that those who graduate from US universities, especially in STEM subjects, ought to have greencards automatically stapled to their diplomas.
In hindsight maybe the US should’ve conquered Mexico.
What happened to Mexico was already bad enough.

That said, I've read that annexing it altogether was considered after Mexico City was occupied by the US in the 1840's, but that US policymakers of the time decided that would mean too many American citizens would be Catholic so they "only" stole Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:32 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:37 pm

That said, I've read that annexing it altogether was considered after Mexico City was occupied by the US in the 1840's, but that US policymakers of the time decided that would mean too many American citizens would be Catholic so they "only" stole Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.
So but for religious bigotry the US could have stretched as far south as the current Mexico-Guatemala border?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:17 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:32 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:37 pm

So but for religious bigotry the US could have stretched as far south as the current Mexico-Guatemala border?
The US has always had high-minded reasons for its policies...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:38 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:17 am
The US has always had high-minded reasons for its policies...
:lol: I will accept that as having been written in irony.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:11 pm

"The left should be happy with Biden?"

Well, I do not consider myself of the left but with some doubts and misgivings re. his competence I am basically content with Joe Biden for one reason only: he removed Donald Trump from the US presidency.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:53 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:11 pm

Well, I do not consider myself of the left but with some doubts and misgivings re. his competence I am basically content with Joe Biden for one reason only: he removed Donald Trump from the US presidency.
But he is mismanaging the country. Biden is incompetent. Trump looks good in comparison.
The Imp :D

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:11 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:53 pm
neverfail wrote:

But he is mismanaging the country. Biden is incompetent. Trump looks good in comparison.
Kim Jong Un looks good in comparison to both of them... :lol:

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:26 am

cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

:lol: You must be fucking-well joking Cassowary!

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:39 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:26 am
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

:lol: You must be fucking-well joking Cassowary!
Cass never met a Republican talking point he didn’t like.