Finland & Sweden about to join NATO

Discussion of current events
User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 6059
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Finland & Sweden about to join NATO

Post by cassowary » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:06 am

Sweden, Finland Move Closer to NATO Membership

Finland and Sweden completed accession talks at NATO Headquarters in Brussels on Monday (4 July 2022), as agreed last week by NATO leaders at their Summit in Madrid. Both countries formally confirmed their willingness and ability to meet the political, legal and military obligations and commitments of NATO membership.

Following the completion of the talks, Allies are due to sign the Accession Protocols for Finland and Sweden at NATO Headquarters on Tuesday (5 July 2022). The Accession Protocols will then go to all NATO countries for ratification, according to their national procedures.
The Imp :D

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 4254
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Finland & Sweden about to join NATO

Post by Milo » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:51 am

Canada was the first to ratify.

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 3808
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Probably DCA, YYJ, or DOM
Contact:

Re: Finland & Sweden about to join NATO

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:02 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:06 am
The Accession Protocols will then go to all NATO countries for ratification, according to their national procedures.
Remember that Sertorio has assured us that Turkey still opposes this. I'm looking forward to this test of his powers of prophesy.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 8298
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Finland & Sweden about to join NATO

Post by Sertorio » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:02 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:06 am
The Accession Protocols will then go to all NATO countries for ratification, according to their national procedures.
Remember that Sertorio has assured us that Turkey still opposes this. I'm looking forward to this test of his powers of prophesy.
What I said is that Turkey would not ratify the accession if Sweden or Finland failed to extradite those Kurds whose extradition was demanded by Turkey. But, as usual, you have difficulty understanding simple phrases...

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 6059
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: Finland & Sweden about to join NATO

Post by cassowary » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:21 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:02 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:06 am
The Accession Protocols will then go to all NATO countries for ratification, according to their national procedures.
Remember that Sertorio has assured us that Turkey still opposes this. I'm looking forward to this test of his powers of prophesy.
Hahaha, Sertorio ia a contrarian. Whatever, he predicts, bet against it. That's how to get rich.
The Imp :D

User avatar
neverfail
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Australia

Re: Finland & Sweden about to join NATO

Post by neverfail » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:51 pm

cassowary wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:21 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:02 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:06 am
The Accession Protocols will then go to all NATO countries for ratification, according to their national procedures.
Remember that Sertorio has assured us that Turkey still opposes this. I'm looking forward to this test of his powers of prophesy.
Hahaha, Sertorio ia a contrarian. Whatever, he predicts, bet against it. That's how to get rich.
:lol: Good one!

User avatar
neverfail
Posts: 8888
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Australia

Re: Finland & Sweden about to join NATO

Post by neverfail » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:59 pm

I can see now why Kurdish leaders on the run have picked Sweden and Finland as countries of refuge.

Both are democratic but neither was a NATO member. While almost all NATO member countries (Turkey excepted) were/are democratic in governance the fact that Turkey was/is a member of the same pact potentially gave Turkey a "handle" on these countries and their policies. But Sweden and Finland being non-aligned as well as liberal democracies made them far safer to live in.

Where are these Kurdish exiles going to go now?

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 4254
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Finland & Sweden about to join NATO

Post by Milo » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:53 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:59 pm
I can see now why Kurdish leaders on the run have picked Sweden and Finland as countries of refuge.

Both are democratic but neither was a NATO member. While almost all NATO member countries (Turkey excepted) were/are democratic in governance the fact that Turkey was/is a member of the same pact potentially gave Turkey a "handle" on these countries and their policies. But Sweden and Finland being non-aligned as well as liberal democracies made them far safer to live in.

Where are these Kurdish exiles going to go now?
Iraq?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdist ... Government

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 8298
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Finland & Sweden about to join NATO

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:10 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:59 pm
I can see now why Kurdish leaders on the run have picked Sweden and Finland as countries of refuge.

Both are democratic but neither was a NATO member. While almost all NATO member countries (Turkey excepted) were/are democratic in governance the fact that Turkey was/is a member of the same pact potentially gave Turkey a "handle" on these countries and their policies. But Sweden and Finland being non-aligned as well as liberal democracies made them far safer to live in.

Where are these Kurdish exiles going to go now?
You are presuming that Sweden and Finland will drive those Kurdish exiles away, in order to satisfy Turkey and get access to NATO. First of all Turkey doesn't ask for those Kurdish people to be sent away from Scandinavia, but that they are delivered to Turkey in order to be tried and arrested. Secondly, Scandinavians may have many shortcomings but I believe they are principled enough not to give in to Turkey. Sweden and Finland must continue sheltering those Kurds even if the try to stop them being politically active against Turkey.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 8298
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Finland & Sweden about to join NATO

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:52 am

Swedish Fighter Pilots Leaving En Masse
https://sputniknews.com/20220715/swedis ... 31058.html

In recent years, the Swedish Armed Forces have been struggling to recruit new pilots and even retain existing staff. The nascent wave of resignations has been pinned on higher retirement age, low wages and withering confidence in leadership.

This autumn, the Swedish Armed Forces may lose about half of its fighter pilot corps, as pilots are about to either take a leave of absence or resign completely, national broadcaster SVT reported.

SVT ascribed the phenomenon to a combination of factors such as increased retirement age, slow wage development and low confidence in leadership.

Per-Martin Sternevi, the chairman of the Swedish Armed Forces' Interest Association (FPI), stressed that this is neither a threat nor a strike. According to him, the top brass have been aware of the criticism for several years but haven't listened.

“It is already clear that it will happen”, he told SVT. “All this results in the confidence in the Armed Forces' leadership becoming incredibly low”, he added.

To address the fighter pilots' dissatisfaction, Air Force Chief Carl-Johan Edström pledged to invest SEK 600 million ($57 million) over the next ten years. Among other things, a new salary structure and an investigation into the consequences of the higher retirement age have been promised. He also said he understands the personnel's frustration.
No doubt Sweden's accession to NATO will make the alliance much stronger and more able to defeat Russia...

Post Reply