Why Russia has lost the war.

Discussion of current events
User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 3526
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Probably DCA, YYJ, or DOM
Contact:

Re: Why Russia has lost the war.

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:19 am

Considering your excellent command of English, I'm surprised you didn't know this before, but just so you can't say in the future that you were uninformed, "pathetic" does indeed carry an insulting connotation to English speakers. in fact, the only people who use it with the supposedly neutral denotation of "great feeling" are those hiding behind the dictionary to attempt to deny their intent to provoke, and surely you don't want to be one of those, n'est-ce pas?
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 7809
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Why Russia has lost the war.

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:02 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:19 am
Considering your excellent command of English, I'm surprised you didn't know this before, but just so you can't say in the future that you were uninformed, "pathetic" does indeed carry an insulting connotation to English speakers. in fact, the only people who use it with the supposedly neutral denotation of "great feeling" are those hiding behind the dictionary to attempt to deny their intent to provoke, and surely you don't want to be one of those, n'est-ce pas?
Of course I knew it wasn't a word of praise, but I never used it as an insult. To me it indicates inadequacy, a failed attempt at valuing what cannot be valued. You may feel sorry for someone you call pathetic, but you are not trying to insult him. But apparently Doc didn't see it that way. On the other hand I do not insult people, as you will have seen over the years, so Doc should have suspected that no insult was meant...

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 6962
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Why Russia has lost the war.

Post by Doc » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:35 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:34 am
Doc wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:21 am
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:33 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:54 am
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:39 am
All of which is false...
No no, today is the solstice, not April Fool's Day.
Your reaction shows how dumb intelligent people like you can be...
A reminder: You have already been warned not to indulge in personal attacks.
In fairness, it's not like I hold my tongue. If I can dish it out, I can take it.
Understood. Me probably more than anyone here when you come down to it. However I Am posting here, not where it is the norm for the reason that if left unchecked things can go down hill pretty rapidly. .

Setorio like I told you in PM One liner derogatory comments don't cut it Unless that are actually meant to be funny and pretty much everyone can agree they are funny. Otherwise it in no way helps the free exchange of ideas and honest conversation.

Better to leave the insults to the bots.

Image
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 3526
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Probably DCA, YYJ, or DOM
Contact:

Re: Why Russia has lost the war.

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:56 pm

Doc wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:35 pm
Understood. Me probably more than anyone here when you come down to it. However I Am posting here, not where it is the norm for the reason that if left unchecked things can go down hill pretty rapidly. .
If it helps, you should hear what I don't say! ;)
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 6962
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Why Russia has lost the war.

Post by Doc » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:58 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:56 pm
Doc wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:35 pm
Understood. Me probably more than anyone here when you come down to it. However I Am posting here, not where it is the norm for the reason that if left unchecked things can go down hill pretty rapidly. .
If it helps, you should hear what I don't say! ;)
:lol: I know I know :D
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
neverfail
Posts: 8614
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Australia

Re: Why Russia has lost the war.

Post by neverfail » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:58 pm

cassowary wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:11 am
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:02 am
cassowary wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:56 am
Nikkei: Strategically, Russia has already lost in Ukraine.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/Strateg ... mm2toyrxha
Don't waste your time with ignorant people...
The newspaper is saying Russia has lost the war strategically for the following reasons:

1)high Russian losses.
2)The west is United.
3) NATO is expanding
4)Sanctions will weaken Russia.
5)oil imports from the EU will decline.
While I believe that it is too soon to claim "Russia has lost the war" (it is still in the field fighting); I would like to briefly comment on the last point - which should read "oil EXPORTS from the EU will decline" - to correctly identify the direction of the flow of oil (Casso, take note :) ).

Yes, once the EU member states (except Hungary) line up alternative sources of supply because of the breech of trust prosecuted by Russia it is likely never to get the EU market back again. The harm being done by this war to Ukraine might comprise mainly of lost lives; grief of broken families and destroyed infrastructure but the harm done to Russia is likely to be protracted and longer lasting.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 7809
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Why Russia has lost the war.

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:48 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:58 pm
cassowary wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:11 am
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:02 am
cassowary wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:56 am
Nikkei: Strategically, Russia has already lost in Ukraine.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/Strateg ... mm2toyrxha
Don't waste your time with ignorant people...
The newspaper is saying Russia has lost the war strategically for the following reasons:

1)high Russian losses.
2)The west is United.
3) NATO is expanding
4)Sanctions will weaken Russia.
5)oil imports from the EU will decline.
While I believe that it is too soon to claim "Russia has lost the war" (it is still in the field fighting); I would like to briefly comment on the last point - which should read "oil EXPORTS from the EU will decline" - to correctly identify the direction of the flow of oil (Casso, take note :) ).

Yes, once the EU member states (except Hungary) line up alternative sources of supply because of the breech of trust prosecuted by Russia it is likely never to get the EU market back again. The harm being done by this war to Ukraine might comprise mainly of lost lives; grief of broken families and destroyed infrastructure but the harm done to Russia is likely to be protracted and longer lasting.
You may like to read the opinion of an American:
If Americans understood what Russia did in stopping the first Nazi invasion outside the city gates of Moscow in December 1941. If they understood the remarkable counter attack the Stavka put together that led to the defeat and capture of the German 6th Army at Stalingrad. If they understood the massive tank battle at Kursk, the capture of Ukraine and Operation Bagration, then I suspect the people of the United States would understand why Putin is doing what he is doing now in Ukraine. The aphorism, “ignorance is bliss”, is wrong. Ignorance is dangerous and can kill you.
https://sonar21.com/one-big-reason-amer ... -in-ww-ii/
Yes, ignorance is a problem, and we find it here on this forum all the time...

Post Reply