Milo

Re: The Dominos are so close to begin falling

Post by Milo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:41 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:04 pm
Doc wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:46 am
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/19/republi ... a-fbi.html

An allegedly damning memo about the FBI and DOJ is electrifying Republicans — in Congress and online
If that is an attempt to vilify Obama because he misused certain powers vested in a US President; allow me to point out that he is following a well worn trail trod by former holders of this high office - including Nixon, Reagan and Clinton. Does selectively treating the rule of law with contempt necessarily make an incumbent anti-American?

It seems to be that the failing is institutional; not in the character of any one particular POTUS. The flawed US system of checks and balances has failed to bring wrongdoers in high public office to book.
The problem is the presidency, it's too much for any one person.

No other democratic country vests so much in one office. Furthermore, the tv age allowed even more de facto authority and the post tv age seems to promise more still.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Milo wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:41 pm

No other democratic country vests so much in one office. Furthermore, the tv age allowed even more de facto authority and the post tv age seems to promise more still.

Very well put, Milo!

The powers of a POTUS seem to be very lopsided. In some fields such as foreign policy he holds the power of life and death yet when trying to get important legislation passed domestically he has to cut deals and create boondoggles to get enough members of the houses of Congress interested or else give up on the endeavour.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:22 pm

Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

An allegedly damning memo about the FBI and DOJ is electrifying Republicans — in Congress and online
If that is an attempt to vilify Obama because he misused certain powers vested in a US President; allow me to point out that he is following a well worn trail trod by former holders of this high office - including Nixon, Reagan and Clinton. Does selectively treating the rule of law with contempt necessarily make an incumbent anti-American?

It seems to be that the failing is institutional; not in the character of any one particular POTUS. The flawed US system of checks and balances has failed to bring wrongdoers in high public office to book.

The last time those words were said Walter Cronkite said them and it so happened to be the last time a non ivy league POTUS was elected.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:30 am

Doc wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:22 pm
Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

The last time those words were said Walter Cronkite said them and it so happened to be the last time a non ivy league POTUS was elected.
But isn't it true?

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:46 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:30 am
Doc wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:22 pm
Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

But isn't it true?
It also happens every time that someone outside the DC Establishment looks to be the next POTUS. They will go to any lengths to stop that from happening. Including a palace coup

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:46 pm

neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

But isn't it true?
It also happens every time that someone outside the DC Establishment looks to be the next POTUS. They will go to any lengths to stop that from happening. Including a palace coup

You miss the point doc. It matters not that the DC insiders may prefer one of their own to an outsider. The point I think that Milo was trying to make that a US president is the holder of too much institutionalised responsibility and that as a consequence too many false hopes and expectations are vested in what he can realistically achieve.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:48 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:46 pm
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

But isn't it true?

You miss the point doc. It matters not that the DC insiders may prefer one of their own to an outsider. The point I think that Milo was trying to make that a US president is the holder of too much institutionalised responsibility and that as a consequence too many false hopes and expectations are vested in what he can realistically achieve.
And my point is no one EVER says that when an insider is or looks like he will be POTUS. However years after Regan became president I think in his second term insiders in DC were saying Reagan put together the best Presidential team in American History. The talk of a co-presidency for Reagan was long forgotten by that time.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:16 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:48 pm
neverfail wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

But isn't it true?

And my point is no one EVER says that when an insider is or looks like he will be POTUS. However years after Regan became president I think in his second term insiders in DC were saying Reagan put together the best Presidential team in American History. The talk of a co-presidency for Reagan was long forgotten by that time.
Reagan understood that as an outsider, he needed an insider as his Chief of Staff. Relatedly, Trump was right to appoint Priebus, but wrong to undermine and sideline him.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:30 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:16 pm
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

But isn't it true?

Reagan understood that as an outsider, he needed an insider as his Chief of Staff. Relatedly, Trump was right to appoint Priebus, but wrong to undermine and sideline him.
Kelly has done a good job. I think I read somewhere that Priebus was one of the main leakers early on and he was not filtering who got to sit down with Trump . Kelly is doing that. That is the chief of staff's main job.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 pm

Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

But isn't it true?

Reagan was a one-off. My point (and MIlo's) is that even when the President is of exceptional capability and backed up by a first rate team, too much of a burden of responsibility rests on his shoulders. That does not even take into account the potential harm done by the larger number of more mediocre administrations that come in between the rare statesmanlike standout.