Should Ukraine destroy the Crimean Bridge?

Discussion of current events
cassowary

Should Ukraine destroy the Crimean Bridge?

Post by cassowary » Sun May 15, 2022 11:58 pm

This is a strategic question. To answer that question, we first need to look at the map of Crimea.

As you can see, Crimea is almost an island. It joined to the mainland by the narrow Isthmus of Perekop which is about 4 miles at its widest. Because Russian troops can be easily cut off, Putin built the Crimean bridge joining Kerch on Eastern Crimea to the Russian mainland.

This bridge allows troops, supplies and heavy weaponry to be supplied to Russian forces in Crimea. Should this bridge be destroyed?
The Imp :D

SteveFoerster

Re: Should Ukraine destroy the Crimean Bridge?

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon May 16, 2022 12:14 am

If it's strategically wise to eliminate it, and within their capabilities, yes, the Ukrainians should do so. What's Putin going to do about it, invade them? Whoops, too late.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon May 16, 2022 1:25 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:14 am
If it's strategically wise to eliminate it, and within their capabilities, yes, the Ukrainians should do so. What's Putin going to do about it, invade them? Whoops, too late.
This is no longer commenting, it's masturbation... :?

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon May 16, 2022 6:05 am

cassowary wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 11:58 pm

As you can see, Crimea is almost an island. It joined to the mainland by the narrow Isthmus of Perekop which is about 4 miles at its widest. Because Russian troops can be easily cut off, Putin built the Crimean bridge joining Kerch on Eastern Crimea to the Russian mainland.

This bridge allows troops, supplies and heavy weaponry to be supplied to Russian forces in Crimea. Should this bridge be destroyed?
Yes! Before the fighting began the Russians had also used the bridge to prevent Ukrainian merchant vessels from passing underneath to reach their own ports on the shoreline of the Sea of Azov. In effect they used the bridge to turn the waterway into a Russian lake. I am surprised the Ukrainian military have not done it by now. One well aimed bomb should be enough to collapse it.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon May 16, 2022 6:56 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:05 am
cassowary wrote:

Yes! Before the fighting began the Russians had also used the bridge to prevent Ukrainian merchant vessels from passing underneath to reach their own ports on the shoreline of the Sea of Azov. In effect they used the bridge to turn the waterway into a Russian lake. I am surprised the Ukrainian military have not done it by now. One well aimed bomb should be enough to collapse it.
You guys love destruction, any kind of destruction... Why then do you keep blaming Russia?...

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon May 16, 2022 7:01 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:56 am
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

You guys love destruction, any kind of destruction... Why then do you keep blaming Russia?...
Because Russia invaded Ukraine.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon May 16, 2022 7:17 am

Doc wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:01 am
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Good answer, Doc.

The Imp :D

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon May 16, 2022 7:18 am

Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

But their destruction is beautiful. Just the thing you guys want to see... Bombs, destruction of bridges, civilians dead, provided they are Russian...

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon May 16, 2022 7:23 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:18 am
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

But their destruction is beautiful. Just the thing you guys want to see... Bombs, destruction of bridges, civilians dead, provided they are Russian...
So you are saying that Ukrainians don't have a right to defend themselves?
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon May 16, 2022 7:43 am

Doc wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:23 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:18 am
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

So you are saying that Ukrainians don't have a right to defend themselves?
As long as they do not commit war crimes. But we keep seeing the Ukrainian army shelling the city of Donetsk, killing civilians and destroying buildings, not as collateral damage of some attempt at conquering the city, but deliberately to kill as many separatist civilians as possible. This is a war crime, but I have never seen any of you protesting... Meanwhile you get out your popcorn and watch all the destruction possible in the Ukraine...