Ukraine pushes Russians back from Kharkiv towards the border

Discussion of current events
User avatar
Doc
Posts: 6777
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Ukraine pushes Russians back from Kharkiv towards the border

Post by Doc » Fri May 13, 2022 8:07 am

Milo wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:56 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:54 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:34 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:12 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:04 am
I hope the real members of this board will come back and replace the first graders who have abusively replaced them in the last couple of weeks... :D
???
Your arguments and reasoning are first-grade level... :D

I think my arguments are really first class. You usually don't have a good reply.
Nothing like a constant stream of ad hominems to demonstrate maturity!
The father of all reasoning IE "My father's reasoning can beat up your father's reasoning." :P
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 5649
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: Ukraine pushes Russians back from Kharkiv towards the border

Post by cassowary » Fri May 13, 2022 9:50 am

Milo wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:56 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:54 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:34 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:12 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:04 am
I hope the real members of this board will come back and replace the first graders who have abusively replaced them in the last couple of weeks... :D
???
Your arguments and reasoning are first-grade level... :D

I think my arguments are really first class. You usually don't have a good reply.
Nothing like a constant stream of ad hominems to demonstrate maturity!
Exactly. I get a lot of ad hominems from Sertorio. But I don’t mind. I take it that he can’t think of a rebuttal. That means I won the argument.
The Imp :D

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 7350
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Ukraine pushes Russians back from Kharkiv towards the border

Post by Sertorio » Fri May 13, 2022 10:29 am

cassowary wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:50 am
Milo wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:56 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:54 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:34 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:12 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:04 am
I hope the real members of this board will come back and replace the first graders who have abusively replaced them in the last couple of weeks... :D
???
Your arguments and reasoning are first-grade level... :D

I think my arguments are really first class. You usually don't have a good reply.
Nothing like a constant stream of ad hominems to demonstrate maturity!
Exactly. I get a lot of ad hominems from Sertorio. But I don’t mind. I take it that he can’t think of a rebuttal. That means I won the argument.
Saying that your reasoning is first-grade level is not ad hominem. It's a statement of fact. You do not seem to be mature enough to see the difference between fact and fantasy, and that's why you say the strangest things about China, Russia and the US. China is an amazing civilization and the Chinese are among the brightest people on our planet, but you speak of them and their willingness to live in their present system as if they were not capable of making their own reasoned decisions. You also speak of Russians as if they were forced to put up with Putin, against their wishes, ignoring the fact that over 80% of people approve of Putin, and that Russians live now better than they ever lived throughout their long history. In your arrogance you think that you know better than those people how they should live and under what political regime. Do you actually think that you are smarter than the average Chinese or Russian? Well, you are not, and you make that manifest to all of us with every post of yours. A bit humility would be in place for you...

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 6777
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Ukraine pushes Russians back from Kharkiv towards the border

Post by Doc » Fri May 13, 2022 11:25 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:29 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:50 am
Milo wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:56 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:54 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:34 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:12 am


???
Your arguments and reasoning are first-grade level... :D

I think my arguments are really first class. You usually don't have a good reply.
Nothing like a constant stream of ad hominems to demonstrate maturity!
Exactly. I get a lot of ad hominems from Sertorio. But I don’t mind. I take it that he can’t think of a rebuttal. That means I won the argument.
Saying that your reasoning is first-grade level is not ad hominem. It's a statement of fact. You do not seem to be mature enough to see the difference between fact and fantasy, and that's why you say the strangest things about China, Russia and the US. China is an amazing civilization and the Chinese are among the brightest people on our planet, but you speak of them and their willingness to live in their present system as if they were not capable of making their own reasoned decisions. You also speak of Russians as if they were forced to put up with Putin, against their wishes, ignoring the fact that over 80% of people approve of Putin, and that Russians live now better than they ever lived throughout their long history. In your arrogance you think that you know better than those people how they should live and under what political regime. Do you actually think that you are smarter than the average Chinese or Russian? Well, you are not, and you make that manifest to all of us with every post of yours. A bit humility would be in place for you...
Sertorio did you ever consider you may have been transported to a parallel universe?
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 7350
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Ukraine pushes Russians back from Kharkiv towards the border

Post by Sertorio » Fri May 13, 2022 1:31 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:25 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:29 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:50 am
Milo wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:56 am
cassowary wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:54 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:34 am


Your arguments and reasoning are first-grade level... :D

I think my arguments are really first class. You usually don't have a good reply.
Nothing like a constant stream of ad hominems to demonstrate maturity!
Exactly. I get a lot of ad hominems from Sertorio. But I don’t mind. I take it that he can’t think of a rebuttal. That means I won the argument.
Saying that your reasoning is first-grade level is not ad hominem. It's a statement of fact. You do not seem to be mature enough to see the difference between fact and fantasy, and that's why you say the strangest things about China, Russia and the US. China is an amazing civilization and the Chinese are among the brightest people on our planet, but you speak of them and their willingness to live in their present system as if they were not capable of making their own reasoned decisions. You also speak of Russians as if they were forced to put up with Putin, against their wishes, ignoring the fact that over 80% of people approve of Putin, and that Russians live now better than they ever lived throughout their long history. In your arrogance you think that you know better than those people how they should live and under what political regime. Do you actually think that you are smarter than the average Chinese or Russian? Well, you are not, and you make that manifest to all of us with every post of yours. A bit humility would be in place for you...
Sertorio did you ever consider you may have been transported to a parallel universe?
So, in your opinion, Russians and Chinese do not live now better than ever before, and therefore it is unlikely they are satisfied with their respective governments... I wonder who lives in a parallel universe...

User avatar
neverfail
Posts: 8398
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Australia

Re: Ukraine pushes Russians back from Kharkiv towards the border

Post by neverfail » Fri May 13, 2022 3:36 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:31 pm
So, in your opinion, Russians and Chinese do not live now better than ever before, and therefore it is unlikely they are satisfied with their respective governments... I wonder who lives in a parallel universe...
"Live better than before?" Surely that surely depends on how you define "living better".

In terms of civil rights they must be worse off than past generations. Improvements in technology has only made police state control and oppression more thorough, harder to evade.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 7350
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Ukraine pushes Russians back from Kharkiv towards the border

Post by Sertorio » Sat May 14, 2022 1:02 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:36 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:31 pm
So, in your opinion, Russians and Chinese do not live now better than ever before, and therefore it is unlikely they are satisfied with their respective governments... I wonder who lives in a parallel universe...
"Live better than before?" Surely that surely depends on how you define "living better".

In terms of civil rights they must be worse off than past generations. Improvements in technology has only made police state control and oppression more thorough, harder to evade.
You know what, for the common man, means living better. It's having access to more and better goods, having access to proper housing, having access to good education, having access to good health care, having a job which pays enough for you to take care of your needs, having freedom of movement. For some people, a minority, it would also mean participating in the government process. But that can be also achieved at local level. Now tell me that the Chinese and the Russians do not have a better life than ever before. And you may be sure that if ever a substantial number of them are unhappy, they will do something about it. They certainly will not need you to tell them what to do. That's the usual Anglo arrogance which the peoples of China and Russia can very well do without...

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 5649
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Ukraine has won the battle of Kharkiv

Post by cassowary » Sat May 14, 2022 1:46 am

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/5/1 ... s-liveblog
Ukraine appears to have ‘won the Battle of Kharkiv’: IOW
The Institute for the Study of War (IOW) says it appears that Ukraine has “won the Battle of Kharkiv”, with evidence suggesting Russia has “likely decided” to withdraw fully from its positions around the city because of the strength of Ukrainian counterattacks and a lack of reinforcements.
The Imp :D

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 7350
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Ukraine has won the battle of Kharkiv

Post by Sertorio » Sat May 14, 2022 2:31 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:46 am
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/5/1 ... s-liveblog
Ukraine appears to have ‘won the Battle of Kharkiv’: IOW
The Institute for the Study of War (IOW) says it appears that Ukraine has “won the Battle of Kharkiv”, with evidence suggesting Russia has “likely decided” to withdraw fully from its positions around the city because of the strength of Ukrainian counterattacks and a lack of reinforcements.
Image

:lol:

User avatar
neverfail
Posts: 8398
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Australia

Re: Ukraine has won the battle of Kharkiv

Post by neverfail » Sat May 14, 2022 3:29 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:46 am
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/5/1 ... s-liveblog
Ukraine appears to have ‘won the Battle of Kharkiv’: IOW
The Institute for the Study of War (IOW) says it appears that Ukraine has “won the Battle of Kharkiv”, with evidence suggesting Russia has “likely decided” to withdraw fully from its positions around the city because of the strength of Ukrainian counterattacks and a lack of reinforcements.
Winning one battle does not mean that Ukraine has won the war. Putin still has plenty of cannon fodder left.

Considering the amount of damage already done to the Ukraine by the invasion, after the war ends (who knows how many years that will take) the sheer cost of replacing the destroyed infrastructure is bound to be horrendous: way beyond the capacity of the country's meager fiscal resources to fund.

Meantime, since the war is taking place on Ukrainian soil Russia's will remain intact.

Post Reply