Post by cassowary » Thu May 12, 2022 9:11 am

The Imp :D

Doc

Re: Ukraine pushes Russians back from Kharkiv towards the border

Post by Doc » Thu May 12, 2022 9:17 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:11 am

seems like it is turning into a rout
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu May 12, 2022 9:17 am

From victory to victory until final defeat... :D

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu May 12, 2022 10:31 am

Apparently the Ukrainian forces are not just retaking towns but this could lead to them threatening Russian supply lines… to Russia’s eastern campaign!

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu May 12, 2022 10:45 am

Milo wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:31 am
Apparently the Ukrainian forces are not just retaking towns but this could lead to them threatening Russian supply lines… to Russia’s eastern campaign!
You will have to wait until the Ukranians receive the bows and arrows promised by Estonia...

:D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu May 12, 2022 3:21 pm

Milo wrote:
Unfortunately, Ukraine is fighting a purely defensive war within its own bounds. No country can hope to win a defensive war like that. The two obvious outcomes are either defeat or stalemate. Ukraine lacks the weight of both manpower and war production to vanquish Russia.

Ukraine can win battles on merit all right but as long as Russia persists it will ultimately wear down Ukrainian opposition.

Putin is nothing if not determined to win - regardless of cost.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu May 12, 2022 4:54 pm

Doc wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:17 am
cassowary wrote:

Rout is too strong a word.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu May 12, 2022 5:25 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:21 pm
Milo wrote:
Unfortunately, Ukraine is fighting a purely defensive war within its own bounds. No country can hope to win a defensive war like that. The two obvious outcomes are either defeat or stalemate. Ukraine lacks the weight of both manpower and war production to vanquish Russia.

Ukraine can win battles on merit all right but as long as Russia persists it will ultimately wear down Ukrainian opposition.

Ukraine ‘s war production is augmented by NATO. Here they have an advantage because NATO ‘s war production is far greater than Russia’s. Russia wants to conquer Ukraine, a far greater task than merely defending Ukraine. You need a three to one advantage in men and weaponry for an attacker to be sure of victory.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu May 12, 2022 6:09 pm

cassowary wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:54 pm
Doc wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:17 am
cassowary wrote:

Rout is too strong a word.
Not along that portion of the front. They have been pushed back to the Russian border.

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu May 12, 2022 6:52 pm

cassowary wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 5:25 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:21 pm
Milo wrote:

Ukraine ‘s war production is augmented by NATO. Here they have an advantage because NATO ‘s war production is far greater than Russia’s. Russia wants to conquer Ukraine, a far greater task than merely defending Ukraine. You need a three to one advantage in men and weaponry for an attacker to be sure of victory.
I am not denying any of that Cass, except that NATO is not currently geared up for war whereas Russia is: and Putin has not yet mobilized the full extent of his country's war making potential; such of the millions of reservists who have over recent years undergone basic military training and only need to be put back in uniform and armed to become soldiers.

As I mentioned, Putin is a determined brute. Do you believe that NATO will ever match him in resolve?