Ferdinand Marcos elected President of Philippines

Discussion of current events
cassowary

Ferdinand Marcos elected President of Philippines

Post by cassowary » Wed May 11, 2022 8:01 am

The son of former dictator Ferdinand Marcos ousted by People's power won the Presidential elecltion by a landslide.

This is not a joke.
(CNN)Ferdinand Marcos Jr. claimed victory in the 2022 Philippines elections on Wednesday, saying the "people have spoken decisively," according to a statement from his spokesperson.

Known as "Bongbong" in the Philippines, Marcos Jr., who is the son and namesake of the late dictator, promised to be a "President for all Filipinos," said Victor Rodriguez, his chief of staff and spokesperson.
With 98% of the votes counted, Marcos Jr. received 31 million votes compared to his closest rival, the outgoing Vice President Leni Robredo, who got about 14 million, partial and unofficial results showed.
The Imp :D

SteveFoerster

Re: Ferdinand Marcos elected President of Philippines

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed May 11, 2022 8:20 am

Heh, well the Americans had W, so I suppose it happens. What's Bongbong's relationship to Duterte, if any?
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed May 11, 2022 8:22 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:20 am
Heh, well the Americans had W, so I suppose it happens. What's Bongbong's relationship to Duterte, if any?
The Vice President is Duterte’s daughter. Tacos has pledged to continue Duterte’s policies.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed May 11, 2022 3:43 pm

cassowary wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:22 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:20 am
The Vice President is Duterte’s daughter. Tacos has pledged to continue Duterte’s policies.
I mean Marcos, not Tacos. Stupid autocorrect

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed May 11, 2022 6:04 pm

Naturally, I have an interest in what happens in The Philippines for a reason that readers would already know(and those who don't have not been paying attention.

A couple of years ago before Covid we had a guest visiting from overseas - a Frenchman married to a Filipina and living with her in the Philippines. He remarked over lunch that "the Filipinos do not remember their own history". I replied "I agree!"

It is now 36 years since the People's Power revolution on the streets of Manila sent the Marcos' packing. I believed at the time that, with that historic precedent in mind, if ever the Philippines public were to be confronted in future with another home-grown tyranny they would know how to respond. But it seems not! Memories have faded with time.

What has happened since is that a whole new generation of voters have come of age with no personal memories of Life under the Marcos'. They are a nation of "believers"; short on healthy skepticism and easily misled by 'spin'.

In the recent election campaign Bongbong Marcos misrepresented his father's 2 decades of incumbency as a "glorious" time for the Philippines. Well, those several weeks in the early 1980's when I was living in the Philippines I met enthusiastic supporters of the dictator - one of whom happened to be my father-in-law to be. People like that believed at the time that the Philippines was living through a glorious phase of its history thanks to Marcos. I did not have the heart to tell them the equivalent of "sorry, but your country comes across to me as a run down, third world dump".

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu May 12, 2022 7:07 pm

If Bongbong hankers after the sort of ex-constitutional power that his dad before him wielded it would probably pay him to enter into an agreement with the Peoples Republic of China. They are not normally fussy about the sort of government a country has in place as long as it serves PRC interests.

Indeed, even when I was there while Ferdinand Marcos was in power it struck me that the none too distant presence of the PRC was like "the elephant in the room" that nobody talked about. It struck me as odd that no Philippines government had by then struck up a mutually beneficial relationship with the PRC to balance up its relationship with the USA. yet as reflected in their mass media news coverage America seemed to count almost the exclusion of all else -followed by the Vatican and then the Middle East. I thought that reflected an odd set of foreign policy objectives for a country like that.