Mariupol May 9th, 2022

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Re: Mariupol May 9th, 2022

Post by neverfail » Tue May 10, 2022 3:01 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:12 am

And let us not forget how much the two sides of this conflict have in common. For example, Russia celebrated Victory Day with a parade of Russian tanks. And Ukraine also celebrated Victory Day with a parade of Russian tanks!

https://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-mocked-r ... 59432.html
:lol: When I first your above comment but before I mouse clicked on the link I mentally pictured the "parade of tanks" as being one of those columns of burned out, broken hulks of Russian tanks littering arterial roads in Ukraine that has frequently been shown on TV video news footage since this war started. :) All fool me; it seems I got it wrong.

Thanks to hand held missile launchers provided by several Western governments and used by Ukrainian soldiers: there must be by now so many rusting hulks of Russian tanks littering the Ukrainian landscape that when the country's iron and steel production revives after the war it will have several years supply of scrap ferrous metal for use as fluxing material. :D

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue May 10, 2022 3:07 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:01 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:

And let us not forget how much the two sides of this conflict have in common. For example, Russia celebrated Victory Day with a parade of Russian tanks. And Ukraine also celebrated Victory Day with a parade of Russian tanks!

:lol: When I first your above comment but before I mouse clicked on the link I mentally pictured the "parade of tanks" as being one of those columns of burned out, broken hulks of Russian tanks littering arterial roads in Ukraine that has frequently been shown on TV video news footage since this war started. :) All fool me; it seems I got it wrong.

Thanks to hand held missile launchers provided by several Western governments and used by Ukrainian soldiers: there must be by now so many rusting hulks of Russian tanks littering the Ukrainian landscape that when the country's iron and steel production revives after the war it will have several years supply of scrap ferrous metal for use as fluxing material. :D
I wonder how you will survive being finally faced with the reality of the Ukrainian disaster and a total victory by Russia... :D

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue May 10, 2022 3:59 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:07 pm
I wonder how you will survive being finally faced with the reality of the Ukrainian disaster and a total victory by Russia... :D
I can't even imagine what you think "total victory" is in this circumstance. Even if the Russians do win, it's still been a debacle for them.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue May 10, 2022 6:03 pm

Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:01 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:

Why are you so confident of a Russian victory? They seem to be losing or a draw at best.
The Imp :D

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue May 10, 2022 9:24 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:59 pm
Sertorio wrote:
I can't even imagine what you think "total victory" is in this circumstance. Even if the Russians do win, it's still been a debacle for them.
"Total victory" would be surrender of Ukrainian armed forces in the Donbass, conquest of Kharkiv, Odessa and surrounding areas, allowing for full control of the Ukrainian southeast; independence and subsequent integration in the Russian Federation of the whole southeast of the Ukraine; neutralization of the remainder of Ukraine; keeping NATO at arms' length. All of which is within reach for Russia.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue May 10, 2022 11:08 pm

Sertorio wrote:
With a degree of (you win some, you lose some!) nonchalant equanimity that might surprise you. A Russian victory might impinge on the security of NATO Europe but my country is neither in Europe nor a NATO member.

We are geographically so remote from the conflict that whatever outcome seems to have little bearing on our own defense security.

The aid we have provided Ukraine (like that gift of 20 of our newly manufactured Bushmaster APC's) is (to use an Americanism) decidedly "from off field"; and reflects the widespread public indignity out here over the sheer injustice of Putin's uncalled for invasion.
SteveFoerster wrote:
A debacle? yes. It has dispelled the myth of Russian invincibility in conventional warfare.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed May 11, 2022 1:02 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:08 pm
Sertorio wrote:
With a degree of (you win some, you lose some!) nonchalant equanimity that might surprise you. A Russian victory might impinge on the security of NATO Europe but my country is neither in Europe nor a NATO member.

We are geographically so remote from the conflict that whatever outcome seems to have little bearing on our own defense security.

The aid we have provided Ukraine (like that gift of 20 of our newly manufactured Bushmaster APC's) is (to use an Americanism) decidedly "from off field"; and reflects the widespread public indignity out here over the sheer injustice of Putin's uncalled for invasion.
SteveFoerster wrote:
A debacle? yes. It has dispelled the myth of Russian invincibility in conventional warfare.
Has it? Funny, I hadn't noticed...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed May 11, 2022 7:47 am

Sertorio wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:02 am
That's what you get for only reading desinformatsya.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed May 11, 2022 7:56 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:47 am
Sertorio wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:02 am
That's what you get for only reading desinformatsya.
Or by making an effort to be properly informed, something which is beyond your reach...

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon May 16, 2022 2:39 am

Tell me, Steve: do you see more than 20 people in this "staged" celebration?... :D