Estonian Benefits of the Russian Sanctions

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Estonian Benefits of the Russian Sanctions

Post by Sertorio » Sat May 07, 2022 10:03 am

Baltic nation sees wild surge in consumer prices
https://www.rt.com/business/555124-esto ... ion-surge/

The Estonian consumer price index saw a dramatic surge of 18.8% year-over-year in April, with prices advancing faster than they have been in decades, according to the latest data revealed by Statistics Estonia.

The agency reported that prices for goods and services were 14.4% and 27.8% more expensive respectively in April compared to the same period a year ago.

The consumer price index was reportedly most affected by housing-related price changes, which was responsible for over 40% of the entire spike, according to Viktoria Trasanov, a leading analyst at Statistics Estonia.

Prices for electricity reportedly saw an enormous surge of 119%, while heat energy became 57.7% more expensive than in April 2021. Meanwhile, pipeline gas soared 237.2%. Rents also surged by 34.4%.

“In April, the automatic compensation scheme for electricity, electricity transmission fees, district heating, pipeline gas and gas transmission fees ended,” Trasanov explained.

The price changes for food and non-alcoholic beverages, as well as the price changes for transport, accounted for nearly a fifth of the total increase.

The price of potatoes reportedly soared 134.3%, oils increased by 57%, cereals and flour saw a price surge of 37.7%, while prices for pasta products and eggs grew by 36.9% and 34.8%, respectively. Meanwhile, fresh fish saw a 30.7% price hike. Petrol was 32.5% and diesel fuel 48.6% more expensive.
I'm sure Estonians will remain strong supporters of sanctions on Russia. Either that or they will ask to be taken back into the Russian Federation... :D

Milo

Re: Estonian Benefits of the Russian Sanctions

Post by Milo » Sat May 07, 2022 10:27 am

Well, their prime minister doesn’t agree with you.
Estonian PM in Finland: Russia's "intimidation, threats" not to be feared

"What I want to say is that, yes they [Russia] want to threaten, but the only thing we have to fear is fear itself," Estonian Prime Minister Kaja Kallas said during a visit to Helsinki on Friday.

She added that Estonia, unlike Finland, was under occupation by the Soviet Union for five decades.

"We have been dealing with Russian provocations for a long time. Russia has been threatening with things that it has already done," Kallas noted.

"They said they will bring Iskander missiles to Nato borders, but they are already there, and they have been there for years."

This is "how they [Russia] play", Kallas further added.

"We have been used to it, we have been able to counter this, and we are OK and so will you [Finland]," she said.

https://yle.fi/news/3-12435052

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat May 07, 2022 10:35 am

Milo wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 10:27 am
Well, their prime minister doesn’t agree with you.
Estonian PM in Finland: Russia's "intimidation, threats" not to be feared

"What I want to say is that, yes they [Russia] want to threaten, but the only thing we have to fear is fear itself," Estonian Prime Minister Kaja Kallas said during a visit to Helsinki on Friday.

She added that Estonia, unlike Finland, was under occupation by the Soviet Union for five decades.

"We have been dealing with Russian provocations for a long time. Russia has been threatening with things that it has already done," Kallas noted.

"They said they will bring Iskander missiles to Nato borders, but they are already there, and they have been there for years."

This is "how they [Russia] play", Kallas further added.

"We have been used to it, we have been able to counter this, and we are OK and so will you [Finland]," she said.

https://yle.fi/news/3-12435052
:lol:

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat May 07, 2022 12:28 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 10:03 am
I'm sure Estonians will remain strong supporters of sanctions on Russia. Either that or they will ask to be taken back into the Russian Federation... :D
That you even think that's a joking matter is vile.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat May 07, 2022 2:00 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 12:28 pm
Sertorio wrote:
That you even think that's a joking matter is vile.
Sanctions against Russia are a joke... Sorry if all I can do is laughing at them...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat May 07, 2022 7:12 pm

Better to have to suffer a temporary bout of inflation than to have the Russian armed forces wrecking your country as they fight over it - as in Ukraine.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat May 07, 2022 8:01 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Baltic nation sees wild surge in consumer prices
https://www.rt.com/business/555124-esto ... ion-surge/

The Estonian consumer price index saw a dramatic surge of 18.8% year-over-year in April, with prices advancing faster than they have been in decades, according to the latest data revealed by Statistics Estonia.

The agency reported that prices for goods and services were 14.4% and 27.8% more expensive respectively in April compared to the same period a year ago.

The consumer price index was reportedly most affected by housing-related price changes, which was responsible for over 40% of the entire spike, according to Viktoria Trasanov, a leading analyst at Statistics Estonia.

Prices for electricity reportedly saw an enormous surge of 119%, while heat energy became 57.7% more expensive than in April 2021. Meanwhile, pipeline gas soared 237.2%. Rents also surged by 34.4%.

“In April, the automatic compensation scheme for electricity, electricity transmission fees, district heating, pipeline gas and gas transmission fees ended,” Trasanov explained.

The price changes for food and non-alcoholic beverages, as well as the price changes for transport, accounted for nearly a fifth of the total increase.

The price of potatoes reportedly soared 134.3%, oils increased by 57%, cereals and flour saw a price surge of 37.7%, while prices for pasta products and eggs grew by 36.9% and 34.8%, respectively. Meanwhile, fresh fish saw a 30.7% price hike. Petrol was 32.5% and diesel fuel 48.6% more expensive.
Unlikely. They have bad memories of the Russian occupation
The Imp :D

neverfail

Re: Bad memories of Russian occupation

Post by neverfail » Sat May 07, 2022 11:38 pm

I have ever since I was a small boy known refugees from the three Baltic republics, especially from Latvia, resettled here in Australia.

Even as a small boy aged about 7 or 8 years I can recall my parents driving us to visit a married couple, friends of a friend of ours, to have home cooked dinner with them at their home on the outskirts of the Sydney metro area. The man was German but his wife was Lithuanian. The fact that these two were free to marry while the Third Reich was still intact (I figured out many years later) tells me that Nazi ideology must have considered Lithuanians to be "Aryan" and therefore fit people for Germans to marry.

I vividly recall my mother telling me during the car trip home from one such visit "they are very scared of the Russians".

I have never met a Lithuanian, Latvian or Estonian since who confessed to ever having wanted their country to be absorbed into the Soviet Union.

cassowary

Re: Bad memories of Russian occupation

Post by cassowary » Sun May 08, 2022 1:15 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 11:38 pm
I have ever since I was a small boy known refugees from the three Baltic republics, especially from Latvia, resettled here in Australia.

Even as a small boy aged about 7 or 8 years I can recall my parents driving us to visit a married couple, friends of a friend of ours, to have home cooked dinner with them at their home on the outskirts of the Sydney metro area. The man was German but his wife was Lithuanian. The fact that these two were free to marry while the Third Reich was still intact (I figured out many years later) tells me that Nazi ideology must have considered Lithuanians to be "Aryan" and therefore fit people for Germans to marry.

I vividly recall my mother telling me during the car trip home from one such visit "they are very scared of the Russians".

I have never met a Lithuanian, Latvian or Estonian since who confessed to ever having wanted their country to be absorbed into the Soviet Union.
Sertorio probably believes that they were lucky have been be conquered by the USSR. Hey should be grateful to be oppressed by joe Stalin. Hahaha.
The Imp :D