Unable to agree on what a woman is, the Supreme court ends right to an abortion

Discussion of current events
Doc

Unable to agree on what a woman is, the Supreme court ends right to an abortion

Post by Doc » Tue May 03, 2022 12:32 pm

Justice Kennedy was overheard saying"How can we give rights to something we can't even define as a court?
https://thepostmillennial.com/psaki-def ... draft-leak
Psaki defends right to abortions following SCOTUS draft leak

When asked to define what a woman is Psaki replied: "I'll circle back to you on that"
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Re: Unable to agree on what a woman is, the Supreme court ends right to an abortion

Post by neverfail » Tue May 03, 2022 4:08 pm

Doc, why do you Americans make such a long, agonizing melodrama over the issue of abortion? Dozens of other countries seem to have settled on a position ages ago without kicking up a big song and dance.

SteveFoerster

Re: Unable to agree on what a woman is, the Supreme court ends right to an abortion

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue May 03, 2022 4:46 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:08 pm
Doc, why do you Americans make such a long, agonizing melodrama over the issue of abortion? Dozens of other countries seem to have settled on a position ages ago without kicking up a big song and dance.
Because there's considerable philosophical disagreement amongst Americans concerning when, gestationally speaking, human rights begin.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue May 03, 2022 6:21 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:46 pm
neverfail wrote:
Because there's considerable philosophical disagreement amongst Americans concerning when, gestationally speaking, human rights begin.
Plus it came from a supreme court ruling rather than legislation by elected officials and caught most people off guard.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Re: Americans are so inexplicitly passionate.

Post by neverfail » Tue May 03, 2022 7:17 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Well, that would be true (privately, likewise) of people in other countries in other countries but, with the present day exception of Poland where women are presently struggling to get back the right to an abortion snatched away from them by their government, no ones hackles seem to get up other than in the United States. What seems to be different is that while people in other countries seem satisfied to abide by the official rules pertaining to abortion Americans seem to have a perennially militant passion about the issue that (among other assorted effects) moves pro-life fanatics to murder doctors who perform abortions (thus transforming their claims to be pro-life into an oxymoron :lol: ). I have never heard of that happening elsewhere.

Just curious!

SteveFoerster

Re: Americans are so inexplicitly passionate.

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed May 04, 2022 7:14 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:17 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Well, that would be true (privately, likewise) of people in other countries in other countries but, with the present day exception of Poland where women are presently struggling to get back the right to an abortion snatched away from them by their government, no ones hackles seem to get up other than in the United States. What seems to be different is that while people in other countries seem satisfied to abide by the official rules pertaining to abortion Americans seem to have a perennially militant passion about the issue that (among other assorted effects) moves pro-life fanatics to murder doctors who perform abortions (thus transforming their claims to be pro-life into an oxymoron :lol: ). I have never heard of that happening elsewhere.
All that suggests is that Americans who oppose abortion actually take their beliefs seriously. And you're right, if you want to see Americans scoff, tell them, "but the government has settled it!"

As for violence against abortion providers, it's internationally newsworthy because it's rare. To be honest, given the depth of feeling on this issue, I'm actually more surprised that it doesn't happen more often, rather than that it happens at all. I don't agree with it, and I'm certainly not justifying it, but that doesn't mean I can't understand it.

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed May 04, 2022 12:02 pm

Well, this leak has whipped up the usual frenzy, but we shall see if the court actually rules that way.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed May 04, 2022 12:59 pm

Milo wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:02 pm
Well, this leak has whipped up the usual frenzy, but we shall see if the court actually rules that way.
We will. Given the McConnell court's makeup I would be pretty surprised if the end result were far off from that draft.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue May 10, 2022 8:29 am

Simple Trick.jpg
Simple Trick.jpg (169.38 KiB) Viewed 291 times

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue May 10, 2022 9:41 am

You may find the Portuguese experience with abortion interesting.

In Portugal abortion is free, and has no costs to the woman, up to 10 weeks pregnancy.

About 16,000 abortions per year are carried out in Portugal.

Every year about 600 women go to Spain for an abortion (4%).

The main reason is that abortion may be carried out in Spain up to 14 weeks into the pregnancy.

We may conclude that about 96% of women wishing to abort can solve their problem within the (rather strict) limits of the Portuguese law, which seems to be very satisfactory.

Why hasn't the problem found a satisfactory solution in the US, beats me...