What is going on in Iran - A new uprising?

Discussion of current events
dagbay

What is going on in Iran - A new uprising?

Post by dagbay » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:33 am

Seems that the recent demonstrations in major cities of Iran including Teheran and Isphan are gathering steam with calls against the Ayatollahs and the Government secret police as well as to the Hizballah calling for their death.

Will they persist or be silenced like the 2009 iteration?.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

neverfail

Re: What is going on in Iran - A new uprising?

Post by neverfail » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:24 pm

When the crowds chant "death to Israel; death to America" that is a government authorised demo. They are chanting the official party line. Teheran's way of sending out a "diplomatic" message to the World.

When the crowds chant "death to Basiji" though, that is an unauthorised (i.e. spontaneous) demonstration in which the crowd are expressing their true sentiments of angry disenchantment with the regime. At that point you can count on Iran's rulers are in big trouble with their own people.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:36 pm

"Death to the dictator" Night Protest move to Tehran Dec 30 2017

Ahvaz

Isfahan

Mashhad

Khorramabad

Kermanshah

Dezful

Zanjan

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:02 pm

Good news. Do you think some foreign intelligence outfit has anything to do with it?

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:22 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:02 pm
Good news. Do you think some foreign intelligence outfit has anything to do with it?
Knowing as little as we do on this one it is hard to say but history of covert actions by intelligence agencies raises questions:
Why now how come the crowds pop up all over simultaneously for the past three nights and why the crowds shout death to Hizballa the Ayatollahs and government agencies chanting against the Palestinians and Hamas as well. Almost sounding like US or Israeli talking points.

Here is a theory;the US is undermining Iran to send NOKO a message.?

neverfail

Re: are the chanting mobs playing international politics?

Post by neverfail » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:38 pm

It still would not happen unless a lot of ordinary Iranians were not already pissed off with their regime for (among other things) corruption and bad management of their economy.

Meddlesome foreign agencies, if involved at all, can only work with the material that is already there.

More likely ther anti-Hezbollah and anti-Hamas chants might be a "come-on" enticement for Western support.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:59 pm

dagbay wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:22 pm
cassowary wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:02 pm
Knowing as little as we do on this one it is hard to say but history of covert actions by intelligence agencies raises questions:
Why now how come the crowds pop up all over simultaneously for the past three nights and why the crowds shout death to Hizballa the Ayatollahs and government agencies chanting against the Palestinians and Hamas as well. Almost sounding like US or Israeli talking points.

Here is a theory;the US is undermining Iran to send NOKO a message.?
In 1953, the CIA spent $10,000 to overthrow Mossadegh. So cheap. Could they be involved now? Hard to tell. Maybe it is the Saudis or Israelis. Or all three. Or none of them.

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:08 am

Latest reports accompanied with videos show demonstrations in more than 70 major cities and regions including the Kurds up north and sunni Arabs in the oil rich south. Government buildings are invaded and burned, prisoners released by demonstrators who have been joined by some of the policemen. Burning the posters of the Ayatollahs and their proxies in the government is sacrilegious. The Iranians are really pissed off. Is it all about the economy or the death toll of Iranians in the Muslim proxy wars in Yemen and Syria? For years we were told that Iranians are powerless to free themselves from the religious regime.

Is this a repeat of the turmoil in Turkey not long ago?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:38 am

Let's us stop dreaming... Iranians may be unhappy with their government, but they are not yet ready for a major change. That will come, but it may take a couple of decades yet. And it will come sooner if the West stops being aggressive towards Iran. Nothing like an external threat to consolidate unpopular regimes...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:26 pm

dagbay wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:08 am
Latest reports accompanied with videos show demonstrations in more than 70 major cities and regions including the Kurds up north and sunni Arabs in the oil rich south. Government buildings are invaded and burned, prisoners released by demonstrators who have been joined by some of the policemen. Burning the posters of the Ayatollahs and their proxies in the government is sacrilegious. The Iranians are really pissed off. Is it all about the economy or the death toll of Iranians in the Muslim proxy wars in Yemen and Syria? For years we were told that Iranians are powerless to free themselves from the religious regime.

Is this a repeat of the turmoil in Turkey not long ago?
Is it?

It reminds me more of the early stages of the (1979-80) upheaval that led to then overthrow of the Shah.