Discussion of current events
cassowary

Re: Merry Christmas!

Post by cassowary » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:32 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:47 am
cassowary wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:01 am
Merry Christmas everybody. Let's not forget Booklady and say a prayer for her, wherever she is.
Please enlighten me on what concerns Booklady...
The last we heard was just before Hurricane Katrina hit her hometown. We don't know what happened to her after that.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:31 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:32 am
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Merry Christmas everybody. Let's not forget Booklady and say a prayer for her, wherever she is.
The last we heard was just before Hurricane Katrina hit her hometown. We don't know what happened to her after that.
We should have some routine which would allow us to find out if anything bad happens to any of us. I sometimes think that, because of my age, I can pass any day, and no way to let people here know about it. Not that I would be expecting great manifestations of regret when I pass, but I would like you to know that if I stop posting it isn't because I got tired from you, but simply because my planned cremation would make it difficult (!) to have access to my computer... I wonder whether there is an organizational solution to this problem.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:47 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:45 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:42 pm
It is about time we in the southern hemisphere declared our cultural independence and came up with a bunch of symbols more in harmony with our seasonal cycles. We have for too long symbolically allowed ourselves to be colonised from the overpowering North.
Santa wearing short pants in his flying ute being pulled by eight boomers?
:lol:

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:29 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:31 am
cassowary wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:32 am
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:
We should have some routine which would allow us to find out if anything bad happens to any of us. I sometimes think that, because of my age, I can pass any day, and no way to let people here know about it. Not that I would be expecting great manifestations of regret when I pass, but I would like you to know that if I stop posting it isn't because I got tired from you, but simply because my planned cremation would make it difficult (!) to have access to my computer... I wonder whether there is an organizational solution to this problem.
I will miss you if you pass away, Sertorio. Even though I hardly ever agree with you, I still like you. In fact, there is nobody here that I dislike. There are some, like Booklady, that I like very much.

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Merry Christmas to all of you and your families. It will be nice to keep the conversation going and enjoy each day as it comes in the new year.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:02 pm

Merry Christmas to all of you who are reading and participating in the conversation. May we all enjoy every day of the year(s) ahead.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:08 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:31 am
When my dad passed on in the '90s, he had been very active on a pretty large online forum, and my sister and I signed into it to let them all know.

Because of that experience (and because of your reminder, thank you) on my to-do list for the first quarter of next year is to update my will, and I intend to include a short list of places where I'd like one of my kids to post notices in the event of my demise. This is one, there are a few others.

There probably are online services for this sort of thing, but if one has heirs, simply making sure they have an up-to-date notification list should be sufficient.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac