Merry Christmas!

Discussion of current events
Milo

Merry Christmas!

Post by Milo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:40 am

To all and my special wishes to those who keep our beloved board operating.

Doc

Re: Merry Christmas!

Post by Doc » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:33 am

Merry Christmas Milo and all here !!
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Io Saturnalia!

Post by Sertorio » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:48 pm

For millennia the Winter Solistice has been celebrated by many different peoples. Hanukkah, Saturnalia, Christmas, among others. In all of them it was the Sun which was celebrated, even if that was sometimes disguised. And although we now know that the Sun is no God and hasn't created us, the fact is that without the Sun we would all be dead. It is therefore appropriate to celebrate its existence and its beneficial influence on our planet, on the day when days are starting to grow again. It's not a spiritual festival, only a recognition of how much we owe the Sun, from a strictly scientific point of view.

IO SATURNALIA, TO ALL OF YOU...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:04 pm

Sertorio, down here in the Earth's southern hemisphere, it is now the passing of our SUMMER, not winter, solstice. What do you think about that? :)

Wishing everyone a very happy Christmas.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:41 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:04 pm
Sertorio, down here in the Earth's southern hemisphere, it is now the passing of our SUMMER, not winter, solstice. What do you think about that? :)

Well, I suppose you celebrate midsummer - like your ancestors on the northern hemisphere - so everything is all right... :D

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:40 pm

neverfail wrote:
It's still Saturnalia, so he's fine!
Likewise!
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:01 am

Merry Christmas everybody. Let's not forget Booklady and say a prayer for her, wherever she is.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:47 am

cassowary wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:01 am
Merry Christmas everybody. Let's not forget Booklady and say a prayer for her, wherever she is.
Please enlighten me on what concerns Booklady...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:42 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:41 pm
neverfail wrote:

Well, I suppose you celebrate midsummer - like your ancestors on the northern hemisphere - so everything is all right... :D
You know, down here we still follow the Christmas rituals that originate in your Northern hemisphere. We sing "Jingle Bells" which celebrates the joy of a snowy sleigh ride in the midst of a broiling hot summer day; we decorate a pine tree brought into our home - a Xmas custom that originated in Germany.

Were it not for the fact that our shopping malls are air conditioned throughout I would hate to be employed as a shopping mall Santa Claus. Santa, I believe, started as a sales promotion gimmick by the Coca Cola Company in the 1920's that for some unknown reason went viral globally.

I have compared notes with people from other lands in the southern hemisphere: South America; South Africa; New Zealand; it is exactly the same in these places as well.

It is about time we in the southern hemisphere declared our cultural independence and came up with a bunch of symbols more in harmony with our seasonal cycles. We have for too long symbolically allowed ourselves to be colonised from the overpowering North.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:45 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:42 pm
It is about time we in the southern hemisphere declared our cultural independence and came up with a bunch of symbols more in harmony with our seasonal cycles. We have for too long symbolically allowed ourselves to be colonised from the overpowering North.
Santa wearing short pants in his flying ute being pulled by eight boomers?
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac