Is Elon Musk Trying to Damage the Chinese Space Station?

Discussion of current events
Milo

Re: Is Elon Musk Trying to Damage the Chinese Space Station?

Post by Milo » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:04 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:03 pm
Milo wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:57 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:37 am
Milo wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:33 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:09 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:48 am

Except that the Musk satellites were in safe orbits and then they were deliberately brought close to the Chinese space station orbit.

So, this was no accident and certainly not the result of overcrowded space...
We don't know that. It could have been a software glitch, mechanical failure, operator error, or any number of other things. But I'll grant you this: it's reasonable to expect SpaceX to provide an explanation.
I thought that the space junk problem was pretty much cleared up, in the sense of disclosure by the junkers and protocols for the potential junkees.

Although Musk is right, that space is very big and the junk is very small, some orbits are much more desirable and will be much more crowded.

Perhaps more needs to be done here. OTOH,China will make any accusations it deems to be in its interest and the truthfulness of them is not a factor, nor is there an opposition or free media to hold them to account .
Forget China. What do YOU think happened here?...
I think you emphasized the wrong phrase.
The lack of an opposition - as we understand it in Europe - doesn't mean that what China says cannot be true...
Actually it does.

Sertorio

Re: Is Elon Musk Trying to Damage the Chinese Space Station?

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:45 am

Milo wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:04 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:03 pm
Milo wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:57 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:37 am
Milo wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:33 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:09 am

We don't know that. It could have been a software glitch, mechanical failure, operator error, or any number of other things. But I'll grant you this: it's reasonable to expect SpaceX to provide an explanation.
I thought that the space junk problem was pretty much cleared up, in the sense of disclosure by the junkers and protocols for the potential junkees.

Although Musk is right, that space is very big and the junk is very small, some orbits are much more desirable and will be much more crowded.

Perhaps more needs to be done here. OTOH,China will make any accusations it deems to be in its interest and the truthfulness of them is not a factor, nor is there an opposition or free media to hold them to account .
Forget China. What do YOU think happened here?...
I think you emphasized the wrong phrase.
The lack of an opposition - as we understand it in Europe - doesn't mean that what China says cannot be true...
Actually it does.
As a lawyer, as long as the jury swallows it you are happy... :D