Generation COVID

Discussion of current events
SteveFoerster

Re: Generation COVID

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:02 pm

I hate to say it, but I think those videos are spot on.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:37 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:02 pm
I hate to say it, but I think those videos are spot on.
As an avid fan of the original Star Track series i found most of the violence scenes a bit childish not because they were they were not warranted but because they were too simplistic for a starfaring civilization. Many of those featured hand to hand combat or wild west style fights with phasers.
I stopped watching when follow on series became PC and most episodes ended up in mediation diplomatic resolutions. It became. A caricature of PC mind set. Maybe that's a sign of an advanced civilization but to me it looks unreal. Must be my years or something .
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:45 am

dagbay wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:37 am
As an avid fan of the original Star Track series i found most of the violence scenes a bit childish not because they were they were not warranted but because they were too simplistic for a starfaring civilization. Many of those featured hand to hand combat or wild west style fights with phasers.
I know what you mean, although I can understand how that makes the action more relatable to casual viewers.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:24 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:45 am
dagbay wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:37 am
I know what you mean, although I can understand how that makes the action more relatable to casual viewers.
It was made in the 1960's. Just a few years after the Cuban Missile crisis. Hand to hand combat was the norm outside of Mutual Assured Destruction. People weren't all that interested in seeing shows dealing with more sophisticated forms of violence. In fact the show's popularity over the years was largely due to that and the avoidance of broader conflict.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros