Auschwitz did not fall suddenly from the sky

Discussion of current events
Doc

Auschwitz did not fall suddenly from the sky

Post by Doc » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:46 pm

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Apollonius

Re: Auschwitz did not fall suddenly from the sky

Post by Apollonius » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:49 am

Doc wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:46 pm

https://twitter.com/HumanRights4UK

Full speech

A few months ago I read a book (actually two books) called I Will Bear Witness: A Diary of the Nazi Years which is a translation of Ich will Zeugnis ablegen bis zum letzten, Tagebücher by Victor Klemperer, a cousin of the famous conductor. Volume one covers 1933-1941; volume two covers 1942-1945. Although of Jewish heritage (his father was a rabbi), Klemper converted to Protestantism and married a non-Jewish woman. He served with distinction on the front lines in WWI. Soon after the Nazis came to power was let go from his position as Professor of Romance Languages at the Technical University of Dresden because he was 'non-Aryan'.

His story is remarkable in many ways but what is most notable is how insidious the Nazi takeover was and how blissfully unaware so many people, even including the author, were about how bad things would get. Reading news reports or relying on a the kind of coverage students get at schools these days one is likely to get the impression that as soon as Hitler came to power all the Jews were rounded up and sent to concentration camps. But no, it didn't happen that way. Although Klemperer was let go in 1934, he was given a pension (though not a full one) which even allowed him to have a house built in Dölzschen, a suburb of Dresden. He bought a car, learned to drive, and took trips to Berlin, the North Sea, and the Riesengebirge. After the events of 1938 any and all illusions remaining were gone, and in 1940 he and his wife were forced out of their home into a Judenhaus ('Jews' House'), a place for mixed couples.

In addition to all the many day-to-day concerns, mainly money, his and his wife's ill health, and then as conditions deteriorated, finding enough to eat and watching as Jewish friends and acquaintances were rounded up for deportation to Theriesenstadt or Poland, his continuing determination to keep writing about eighteenth century French literature, and of course the many humiliations of living in a situation which deteriorated year by year, he gives us reports from newspapers including some clippings sent to him from abroad. He mentions the Economist. Their editors were sure that Hitler was nothing to be worried about. Like the New York Times, they were quite enthusiastic about just what good job the man was doing in turning Germany's economy around.

I shall list the decrees once and for all:

June 2, 1942

1) To be home after eight or nine in the evening. Inspections! 2) Expelled from one's own house. 3) Ban on radio, ban on telephone. 4) Ban on theaters, cinemas, concerts, museums. 6) Ban on subscribing to or purchasing periodicals. 6) Ban on using pubic transport: three phases: 1) buses banned, only front platform of tram permitted, b) all use banned, except to work, c) to work on foot, unless one lives 21/2 miles away or is sick (but it is a hard fight to get a doctor's certificate). Also ban on taxicabs, of course. 7) Ban on purchasing "goods in short supply." 8) Ban on purchasing cigars or any kind of smoking materials. 9) Ban on purchasing flowers. 10) Withdrawal of milk ration card. 11) Ban on going to the barber. 12) Any kind of tradesman can be called only after application to the Community. 13) Compulsory surrender of typewriters, 14) of furs and woolen blankets, 15) of bicycles--it is permissible to cycle to work (Sunday outings and visits by bicycle are forbidden), 16) of deck chairs, 17) of dogs, cats, birds. 18) Ban on leaving the city of Dresden, 19) on entering the railway station, 20) on setting foot on the Ministry embankment, in parks, 21) on using Burgerwiese [street] and the roads bordering the Great Garden (Parkstrasse, Lennestrasse, and Karcherallee). This most recent restriction since only yesterday. Also, since the day before yesterday, a ban on entering the market halls, 22) Since September 19 [last year] the Jew's star. 23) Ban on having reserves of foodstuffs at home. (Gestapo also takes away what has been bought on food coupons.) 24) Ban on use of lending libraries. 25) Because of the star all restaurants are closed to us. And in the restaurants can still get something to eat, some "dish of the day," if one has nothing at all left at home. Eva says the restaurants are packed. 26) No clothing car. 27) No fish card. 28) No special rations such as coffee, chocolate, fruit, condensed milk. 29) The special taxes. 30) The constantly contracting disposable allowance. Mine at first 600, then 320, now 188 marks. 31) Shopping restricted to one hour (three till four, Saturday twelve till one). I think these 31 points are everything. But all together they are nothing as against the constant threat of house searches, of ill-treatment, of prison, concentration camp, and violent death.

June 16

After the recently compiled special regulations for Jews I here begin a new list of the individual tortures: 1) Surrender of fabrics, 2) Surrender of electrical appliances. But Aryan wives appear to be excused number 2.

June 23

Latest decree; Jewish schools will be shut from June 30, nor are children allowed to receive private tuition. An intellectual death sentence, enforced illiteracy. They will not succeed.

... The schools' closure is number 3 in a second series of Jewish measures.

June 26

Latest decree 4): Bicycles can be kept only if the worker has to travel more than 4 1/2 miles. Simultaneously: Those still allowed to use the tram (workers beyond the 4 1/2-mile limit) are no longer allowed to buy twelve-journey tickets or transfer tickets, but only the expensive single-journey tickets.

Miraculously Victor Klemperer not only managed to survive this ever tightening noose, but was in effect saved by the fire bombing of Dresden in 1945 when the city was destroyed and he and his wife fled westward in the ensuing chaos, hanging on for the few remaining months of the war and ultimately returning to his still-standing home in Dölzschen.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:57 pm

Apollonius wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:49 am

Miraculously Victor Klemperer not only managed to survive this ever tightening noose, but was in effect saved by the fire bombing of Dresden in 1945 when the city was destroyed and he and his wife fled westward in the ensuing chaos, hanging on for the few remaining months of the war and ultimately returning to his still-standing home in Dölzschen.
Well now, would you like to tell us the rest of this man's story?

Dresden was within the Soviet zone of occupation and subsequently within the bounds of the German Democratic republic (that's east Germany). Did they hang about while the Soviets and their German henchmen imposed another totalitarian regime on the country or did they abandon their home and flee west?

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:10 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:57 pm
Apollonius wrote:

Well now, would you like to tell us the rest of this man's story?

Dresden was within the Soviet zone of occupation and subsequently within the bounds of the German Democratic republic (that's east Germany). Did they hang about while the Soviets and their German henchmen imposed another totalitarian regime on the country or did they abandon their home and flee west?
What Home? Where their neighbors turned them into to the Gestapo?
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:02 am

Apollonius wrote:
Doc wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:46 pm

https://twitter.com/HumanRights4UK

Full speech

A few months ago I read a book (actually two books) called I Will Bear Witness: A Diary of the Nazi Years which is a translation of Ich will Zeugnis ablegen bis zum letzten, Tagebücher by Victor Klemperer, a cousin of the famous conductor. Volume one covers 1933-1941; volume two covers 1942-1945. Although of Jewish heritage (his father was a rabbi), Klemper converted to Protestantism and married a non-Jewish woman. He served with distinction on the front lines in WWI. Soon after the Nazis came to power was let go from his position as Professor of Romance Languages at the Technical University of Dresden because he was 'non-Aryan'.

His story is remarkable in many ways but what is most notable is how insidious the Nazi takeover was and how blissfully unaware so many people, even including the author, were about how bad things would get. Reading news reports or relying on a the kind of coverage students get at schools these days one is likely to get the impression that as soon as Hitler came to power all the Jews were rounded up and sent to concentration camps. But no, it didn't happen that way. Although Klemperer was let go in 1934, he was given a pension (though not a full one) which even allowed him to have a house built in Dölzschen, a suburb of Dresden. He bought a car, learned to drive, and took trips to Berlin, the North Sea, and the Riesengebirge. After the events of 1938 any and all illusions remaining were gone, and in 1940 he and his wife were forced out of their home into a Judenhaus ('Jews' House'), a place for mixed couples.

In addition to all the many day-to-day concerns, mainly money, his and his wife's ill health, and then as conditions deteriorated, finding enough to eat and watching as Jewish friends and acquaintances were rounded up for deportation to Theriesenstadt or Poland, his continuing determination to keep writing about eighteenth century French literature, and of course the many humiliations of living in a situation which deteriorated year by year, he gives us reports from newspapers including some clippings sent to him from abroad. He mentions the Economist. Their editors were sure that Hitler was nothing to be worried about. Like the New York Times, they were quite enthusiastic about just what good job the man was doing in turning Germany's economy around.

I shall list the decrees once and for all:

June 2, 1942

1) To be home after eight or nine in the evening. Inspections! 2) Expelled from one's own house. 3) Ban on radio, ban on telephone. 4) Ban on theaters, cinemas, concerts, museums. 6) Ban on subscribing to or purchasing periodicals. 6) Ban on using pubic transport: three phases: 1) buses banned, only front platform of tram permitted, b) all use banned, except to work, c) to work on foot, unless one lives 21/2 miles away or is sick (but it is a hard fight to get a doctor's certificate). Also ban on taxicabs, of course. 7) Ban on purchasing "goods in short supply." 8) Ban on purchasing cigars or any kind of smoking materials. 9) Ban on purchasing flowers. 10) Withdrawal of milk ration card. 11) Ban on going to the barber. 12) Any kind of tradesman can be called only after application to the Community. 13) Compulsory surrender of typewriters, 14) of furs and woolen blankets, 15) of bicycles--it is permissible to cycle to work (Sunday outings and visits by bicycle are forbidden), 16) of deck chairs, 17) of dogs, cats, birds. 18) Ban on leaving the city of Dresden, 19) on entering the railway station, 20) on setting foot on the Ministry embankment, in parks, 21) on using Burgerwiese [street] and the roads bordering the Great Garden (Parkstrasse, Lennestrasse, and Karcherallee). This most recent restriction since only yesterday. Also, since the day before yesterday, a ban on entering the market halls, 22) Since September 19 [last year] the Jew's star. 23) Ban on having reserves of foodstuffs at home. (Gestapo also takes away what has been bought on food coupons.) 24) Ban on use of lending libraries. 25) Because of the star all restaurants are closed to us. And in the restaurants can still get something to eat, some "dish of the day," if one has nothing at all left at home. Eva says the restaurants are packed. 26) No clothing car. 27) No fish card. 28) No special rations such as coffee, chocolate, fruit, condensed milk. 29) The special taxes. 30) The constantly contracting disposable allowance. Mine at first 600, then 320, now 188 marks. 31) Shopping restricted to one hour (three till four, Saturday twelve till one). I think these 31 points are everything. But all together they are nothing as against the constant threat of house searches, of ill-treatment, of prison, concentration camp, and violent death.

June 16

After the recently compiled special regulations for Jews I here begin a new list of the individual tortures: 1) Surrender of fabrics, 2) Surrender of electrical appliances. But Aryan wives appear to be excused number 2.

June 23

Latest decree; Jewish schools will be shut from June 30, nor are children allowed to receive private tuition. An intellectual death sentence, enforced illiteracy. They will not succeed.

... The schools' closure is number 3 in a second series of Jewish measures.

June 26

Latest decree 4): Bicycles can be kept only if the worker has to travel more than 4 1/2 miles. Simultaneously: Those still allowed to use the tram (workers beyond the 4 1/2-mile limit) are no longer allowed to buy twelve-journey tickets or transfer tickets, but only the expensive single-journey tickets.

Apollonius

Post by Apollonius » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:39 pm

Mass formation and totalitarian thinking in this time of global crisis - Prof Mattias Desmet and The Eye of the Storm Corona Committee, Ratical.org, 30 July 2021
https://ratical.org/PandemicParallaxVie ... esmet.html

... even if we would succeed in waking up the masses now, they would fall prey to a different story in a few years. And they would be hypnotized again, IF, IF we do not succeed in solving the real problem of this crisis. Namely the question: Why did we as a society get in this state in which a large part of the population feels anxious, depressed, experiences a lack of sense, feels socially isolated? That is the real problem. And if we do not succeed in finding out where this problem comes from then the masses will always be susceptible to leaders who try to lure them into a mass formation. So I think the real question in this crisis is: What is there in our view of man and of the world in the way in which we look at life that makes us experience lack of sense-making? In my opinion we must conclude that it is something in our materialistic mechanistic view of man in the world that leads up to a radical destruction of the real social structures and social bonds and of the feeling that life makes sense.

Interview with full transcript for those of us who prefer print format in which Prof. Mattias Desmet explains how the media has managed to destroy independent thinking and is leading us toward a totalitarian state.

Apollonius

Post by Apollonius » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:48 pm

A hard look at the turn that journalism has taken is The Authoritarian Moment: How the Left Weaponized America's Institutions Against Dissent by Ben Shapiro (Broadside Books, 2021).

There's lots about social media in this book and a good look at so-called 'fact-checkers'.

Facebook's original "participating-partners" for sorting out facts from falsehoods are Associated Press, PolitiFact, FactCheck.org, Snopes, The Washington Post, and ABC News.

That would be three mainstream media outlets, and three left-wing fact-checking organizations. These pseudo-fact-checkers spent most of their time checking "misinformation"--which means, in many cases, declaring claims false based on "lack of context," even if the claims are overtly true. PolitiFact, for example, rated President Obama's lies about keeping your health-care plan if you like your health-care plan "half-true" twice before labeling it their "lie of the year." Snopes.com recently rated "Mostly False"" the claim that Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Ortez (D-NY) exaggerated "the danger she was in during the January 6, 2021, Capitol Riot, in that she 'wasn't even in the Capitol building' when the rioting occurred." That fact-check included the astonishing acknolwedgement that it was true that Ocasio-Cortez "wasn't in the main Capitol building." Which, as it turns out, was the basis for the statement they were also calling "mostly false."

Another interesting passage from the Ben Shapiro's book which explains why there is so much anti-white hate on Facebook:

According to the Washington Post in December, Facebook made the decision to begin policing anti-black hate differently than anti-white hate. Race-blind practices would now be discarded, and instead, the algorithm would allow hate speech directed against white users to remain. Only the "worst of the worst" content would be automatically deleted--"Slurs directed at Blacks, Muslims, people of more than one race, the LGBTQ community and Jews, according to the documents." Slurs directed at whites, men, and Americans would be "deprioritized." The goal: to allow people to "combat systemic racism" by using vicious language.

Facebook would now apply its algorithmic standards differently "based on their perceived harm." Thus, woke standards of intersectional victimhood would be utilized, rather than an objective standard rooted in the nature of the language used. "We know that hate speech targeted towards underrepresented groups can be the most harmful," explained Facebook spokeswoman Sally Aldous, "which is why we have focused our technology on finding the hate speech that users and experts tell us is the most serious." All hate speech is bad, except for the hate speech the experts say is nondamaging.