Russia shows no sign of retreat on invading Ukraine

Discussion of current events
SteveFoerster

Re: Russia shows no sign of retreat on invading Ukraine

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:03 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:43 pm
(One thing about which I am certain: regardless of whether ruled by Tsars, Communists or post-Communist autocrats Russia remains a nation of losers :) )
Ooooo, I've met too many Russians who didn't fit that description to agree with that. Yes, they're saddled with terrible polity, but then we all are to varying extents.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:50 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:03 pm
neverfail wrote:
(One thing about which I am certain: regardless of whether ruled by Tsars, Communists or post-Communist autocrats Russia remains a nation of losers :) )
Ooooo, I've met too many Russians who didn't fit that description to agree with that. Yes, they're saddled with terrible polity, but then we all are to varying extents.
You missed my meaning altogether!

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:41 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:50 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Yes. Keep saying Russia is a nation of losers until you find out, at your own cost, that it isn't...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:56 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:41 am
neverfail wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Yes. Keep saying Russia is a nation of losers until you find out, at your own cost, that it isn't...
Well bloody hell Sertorio?

My issue is that the Russians never seem to be able to break with their ancient tradition of authoritarian rule. Russian society missed cue during their two revolutionary meltdoens of the 20th century: respectively in 1917 and in 1991.

Other countries located on the European sub-continent have managed to break with theirs and establish democratic government under rule of law - including your very own Portugal. So why can't the Russians do the same for themselves?

That is what I mean by a nation of losers. I thought that the meaning was obvious but it seems that some individuals are very slow on the uptake.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:24 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:56 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:41 am
neverfail wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Well bloody hell Sertorio?

My issue is that the Russians never seem to be able to break with their ancient tradition of authoritarian rule. Russian society missed cue during their two revolutionary meltdoens of the 20th century: respectively in 1917 and in 1991.

Other countries located on the European sub-continent have managed to break with theirs and establish democratic government under rule of law - including your very own Portugal. So why can't the Russians do the same for themselves?

That is what I mean by a nation of losers. I thought that the meaning was obvious but it seems that some individuals are very slow on the uptake.
While Portugal had an almost democratic institutional tradition in the Middle Ages, and only had an absolute monarchy from 1580 to around 1820, Russia was always an autocratic state. That makes them victims, not losers.

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:22 pm

Well now that Putin has to intervene in Kazakhstan to prop up one of his most lucrative client dictators, I think he has all that he can handle militarily and a lot more potential baksheesh there. No Ukraine invasion.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:59 am

Milo wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:22 pm
Well now that Putin has to intervene in Kazakhstan to prop up one of his most lucrative client dictators, I think he has all that he can handle militarily and a lot more potential baksheesh there. No Ukraine invasion.
You should see a shrink... It's getting worse...