Discussion of current events
cassowary

Chinese tycoon reveals the dirty secrets of the CCP elite

Post by cassowary » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:30 am

The Imp :D

neverfail

Re: Chinese tycoon reveals the dirty secrets of the CCP elite

Post by neverfail » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:06 pm

Can you be certain that he is telling the truth?

cassowary

Re: Chinese tycoon reveals the dirty secrets of the CCP elite

Post by cassowary » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:14 am

Most facts cannot be verified. But some facts can be. His wife Whitney was reported in the NYT as the conduit of funds to the Wen Jiabao family. NYT is usually accurate on facts if not on opinions.

His involvement with the construction of the Beijing airport cargo terminal is easily verifiable. I assume that the publisher would have checked this fact.

So we know for sure that the Shums were very rich and connected to the Wen family. Now it is a well known fact that doing business in China requires a political patron.

In exchange for a cut in the deal you get easy approvals from the government bureaucracies as well as cheap land sometimes taken for a song from the peasants. The businessman comes out with capital, manages the business and sells the assets. In recent years, apartments are sold at a very high price to the average Joe or Wong. An average apartment in Beijing typically costs an average Chinese 30 years’ wages.

So there is a ring of truth on how he got rich. Shum only confirmed what was generally known by word of mouth. But the extra he gave beyond this is tantalising.

Shum explained how the NYT got the story of the Wen family wealth. About 10 years ago, the police chief of Chunking fled to the US consulate asking for asylum.

His boss was Bo Xilai, then mayor. The police chief informed his boss, Bo Xilai, that Bo’s wife had murdered an English businessman.

According to Shum, Bo hit his police chief so hard that he fell to the floor. Then he fired him. Fearing that Bo will murder him, he fled to the US consulate asking for asylum.

Bo ringed the embassy with his police. Then Beijing sent in federal police to also surround the embassy. The police chief surrendered to the Federal police.

In Beijing he told the standing committee everything. They had to make a decision. Chou Yongkang was the first to speak. Chou was a friend of Bo and he asked for the case to be covered up. Then Xijinping spoke.

Xi was a bitter rival of Bo. So he asked for further investigation. Wen Jiabao spoke next. He agreed with Xi. In the investigation, they discovered that Bo was corrupted.

Wen denounced him publicly. Bo’s fate was sealed. But Bo still had friends. Bo’s friends wanted revenge. So they sent proof of Wen’s corruption to the NYT which published that the Wen family had assets of nearly $3 billion. Desmond Shum’s wife, Whitney was portrayed in the article as fronting for the Wens which is perfectly true.

This whole story cannot be independently confirmed. The book had many stories like this one which cannot be confirmed except one.

This one involved the story of Ling Jihua. Ling was an up and coming official who worked for Hu Jintao. Ling was supposed to succeed Hu and hence was a threat to Xi. Hu’s son was killed in a car accident together with half naked females. Ling told Desmond it was no accident but a murder. Then ling was accused of corruption.

Desmond believed that Ling was one of the rare officials who was not corrupt. Whitney had tried to cultivate his wife but found she had little money. When I related this story to a good friend of mind, my friend told me he personally knew the Lings. I was most surprised. And yes, he agrees they are not corrupt.

So this boosts my confidence that Shum’s book is generally accurate. But I don’t believe one thing the book said. Desmond claims that Wen Jiabao, had no knowledge of his family’s business dealings. Residual loyalty to the Wens perhaps?
The Imp :D