Kowtowing Australia

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Kowtowing Australia

Post by Sertorio » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:56 am

Australia is considering a diplomatic boycott of the 2022 Winter Olympics in China, according to reports. The news comes after US President Joe Biden said he was contemplating the step.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported on Thursday that the Australian federal government is being urged by politicians from the ruling Liberal-National coalition and opposition Labor party to boycott the event in Beijing, which takes place in February.

The Australian government is said to be waiting for a final decision from the Biden administration before making its own call on the issue.

https://www.rt.com/sport/541270-austral ... iplomatic/
If I were Australian I would feel really pissed off...

Jim the Moron

Re: Kowtowing Australia

Post by Jim the Moron » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:40 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:56 am
Australia is considering a diplomatic boycott of the 2022 Winter Olympics in China, according to reports. The news comes after US President Joe Biden said he was contemplating the step.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported on Thursday that the Australian federal government is being urged by politicians from the ruling Liberal-National coalition and opposition Labor party to boycott the event in Beijing, which takes place in February.

The Australian government is said to be waiting for a final decision from the Biden administration before making its own call on the issue.

https://www.rt.com/sport/541270-austral ... iplomatic/
If I were Australian I would feel really pissed off...

You would be pissed too if you had to carry your kids around in pouches strapped to your belly.

neverfail

Re: Kowtowing Australia

Post by neverfail » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:03 pm

I looked up references to this matter in a couple of leading (and reliable) online news outlets here and could find no reference to it. So it seems to be no big deal out here.

Having noted that I would still not be surprised is it were true. Quite apart from the tit-for-tat war of words with the PRC our government is immersed in (our Prime Minister, Scott Morrison is a proud, vindictive man) the party he leads has a long, almost habitual, tradition of sucking up to the incumbent US administration of the day. I despise them for being so sycophant but then what can I, one person, do about it?

However, your Russia Today reference seems to be only about senior public figures like our Prime Minister or Foreign Minister not attending the games. It will not stop our winter sports athletes from competing. I only hope that the diplomatic petty snub of non-attendance by senior Australian government figures does not lower their morale resulting in fewer medals won.