SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:08 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:34 am
neverfail wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:30 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:08 am

It's not a matter of "helping", it is a matter of decency. Mexico is naturally disturbed at the way Venezuela has been treated by the US, and so it decided to give them a hand.
Not Mexico (the country) per se; just its government.

Not the same!
What percentage of the Mexican people will disagree with the government's policies in respect of Venezuela?
Great question. When you get the results of the poll you've commissioned, be sure to let us know.
Thinking that most Mexicans have stronger feelings for sister Venezuela than for the "Ianquis" is a much surer bet than the other way around. Or do you doubt it?...

neverfail

Re: Why the Mexican President is Attacked

Post by neverfail » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:27 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:25 pm
Thinking that most Mexicans have stronger feelings for sister Venezuela than for the "Ianquis" is a much surer bet than the other way around. Or do you doubt it?...
The Mexican economy is projected to expand by 5% in 2021 and 3.2% in 2022. Manufacturing exports will support growth benefiting from the strong recovery and policy support in the United States. Private consumption will strengthen gradually, aided by remittances and the rollout of vaccines.

https://www.oecd.org/economy/mexico-economic-snapshot/
Would Mexicans love their government if it were to mismanage their country's economy into a hopeless wreck like Venezuela?

Luckily, I believe that most Mexicans would realise how much benefit their country derives from having the USA as their leading foreign trading partner to comprehend on which side their tortillas are salsaed. :D

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:45 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:27 pm
Sertorio wrote:
The Mexican economy is projected to expand by 5% in 2021 and 3.2% in 2022. Manufacturing exports will support growth benefiting from the strong recovery and policy support in the United States. Private consumption will strengthen gradually, aided by remittances and the rollout of vaccines.

https://www.oecd.org/economy/mexico-economic-snapshot/
Would Mexicans love their government if it were to mismanage their country's economy into a hopeless wreck like Venezuela?

Luckily, I believe that most Mexicans would realise how much benefit their country derives from having the USA as their leading foreign trading partner to comprehend on which side their tortillas are salsaed. :D
Needing the US as a trading partner doesn't mean having to love it or agree with its policies.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:14 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:45 am
neverfail wrote:

Needing the US as a trading partner doesn't mean having to love it or agree with its policies.
Of course not. But understanding what helps sustain your livelihood would surely lead to a better understanding.

What benefit would Mexico get from associating with Venezuela and its government? Zilch!

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:24 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:14 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:45 am
neverfail wrote:

Of course not. But understanding what helps sustain your livelihood would surely lead to a better understanding.

What benefit would Mexico get from associating with Venezuela and its government? Zilch!
The benefit of being on the side of international law against big power bullying... After all Mexico has often been the target of such bullying...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:06 am

Sertorio wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
What percentage of the Mexican people will disagree with the government's policies in respect of Venezuela?
Great question. When you get the results of the poll you've commissioned, be sure to let us know.
I do, actually, since the Mexican people (and to a lesser extent USians) span both sides of the Rio Grande, and familial, economic, social, and cultural ties between the U.S. and Mexico are very strong.

One mistake is thinking that the different countries ranging from Tijuana to Tierra del Fuego are somehow naturally aligned just because they share a language continuum. "Sister Venezuela" is total nonsense that you simply made up.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:41 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:06 am
Sertorio wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
I do, actually, since the Mexican people (and to a lesser extent USians) span both sides of the Rio Grande, and familial, economic, social, and cultural ties between the U.S. and Mexico are very strong.

One mistake is thinking that the different countries ranging from Tijuana to Tierra del Fuego are somehow naturally aligned just because they share a language continuum. "Sister Venezuela" is total nonsense that you simply made up.
Having lived in South America for a while, and speaking both Portuguese and Spanish, I can assure you that the US and the Yankees are deeply disliked across Latin America...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:31 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:41 am
Having lived in South America for a while, and speaking both Portuguese and Spanish, I can assure you that the US and the Yankees are deeply disliked across Latin America...
Very likely true Sertorio: but even more likely from envy that because of (alleged) US "bullying".

(And what of that alleged bullying anyhow? Does that apply to these country's or only to their regimes of government?
Frankly, from among the 20 plus Latino republics there must be at least one or two at any given time who are simply pains in the arse to deal with. To defend and promote America's best interests a US government would need to take a tough stand from time to time to avert being walked over itself.)

One blessing that God seems to have (for reasons only known to Him) denied the Latins, in the Americas as in Europe, is any notable genius in political wisdom. :D
..................................................................................................................................................

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/americas/mexico

Mexico has for years been running massive trade surplusses with the USA - and the Americans seem content to allow them to keep on doing it indefinitely. To permit a foreign country priveleged access to the US market like the one that both Mexico and Canada gain from NAFTA does NOT constitute bullying in my books Sertorio.

(Indeed, I only wish the US would be as benevalent in international trade matters towards my country.)

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:11 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:41 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:06 am
Sertorio wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

Even if we could take anything you say at face value, like I just said, not all of Latin America is the same, and the point was specifically about Mexico.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac