Would America Survive a Civil War?

Discussion of current events
Apollonius

Would America Survive a Civil War?

Post by Apollonius » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:59 am

Would America survive a civil war? - Malcolm Kyeyune, UnHerd, 12 November 2021
https://unherd.com/2021/11/would-americ ... civil-war/

The US army could not withstand an insurgency

... Now, with that all that said, how likely is it that there will be some sort of civil conflict in the near or mid future for the United States?

Unfortunately, the correct answer here may very well be that it is not terribly unlikely. What is significant about America today is not that it’s nearing its 250th birthday, but rather the clear and advanced signs of sickness in the body politic. The ranks of America’s military are now sullen and battered after 20 years of failed nation-building, while its higher officer corps is increasingly alienated from the world of its grunts, mirroring that same cultural, economic and social divide that is currently poisoning civilian life in the US.

The legitimacy of its elite has been shaken repeatedly, and faith in the electoral process itself is now rapidly declining among large segments of the electorate. America is currently a malarial swamp of strange new faiths, creeds, soothsayers and itinerant prophets; from Q to vaccine scientism to various forms of psuedo-gnosticism centered around trans people. To a student of history, this should also be a familiar — and quite ominous — sign: France in the 1780s had its own scientism and mesmerism, and Russia in the 1910s and 1980s was rife with soothsayers and itinerant preachers of new strange faiths.

Most ominously of all, however, looms the growing supply crisis. This crisis would be tolerable if it merely implied a lack of variety at the grocery store. In such a case, 2020s America might just have ushered in a new golden age of Soviet-style political jokes. But it is also creating havoc in the productive economy itself, denying farmers the spare parts to run their harvesters and car manufacturers the metals they need to make cars. The longer the crisis goes on, the more broken the economy will become, and the more painful the necessary reforms will be, once America’s elites truly wake up to the danger.

If there is one time throughout history where civil wars are actually likely to occur, it is precisely when a delegitimated elite undertakes necessary reforms after letting underlying problems fester for decades. That is when states are at their weakest, and when they are vulnerable to the worst forms of internal disasters. Sadly, that might just be where America is headed today.

neverfail

Re: Would America Survive a Civil War?

Post by neverfail » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:40 pm

We have just one thing to thank Donald Trump for. His four years in office exposed just how politically divided America is for all the world to see.

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:04 pm

My Dad lived through the Blitz, signed up one year young (17) under an exemption, and then caught Malaria in the tropics, till he heard that two atomic bombs gave us VJ day. He had to stick around a bit, in case the RN was needed to put down a communist insurgency.

But by all means, let’s worry so much about these Instagram gun fops, who cry on cue!

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:49 pm

Apollonius wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:59 am
Would America survive a civil war? - Malcolm Kyeyune, UnHerd, 12 November 2021
https://unherd.com/2021/11/would-americ ... civil-war/

The US army could not withstand an insurgency

... Now, with that all that said, how likely is it that there will be some sort of civil conflict in the near or mid future for the United States?

Unfortunately, the correct answer here may very well be that it is not terribly unlikely. What is significant about America today is not that it’s nearing its 250th birthday, but rather the clear and advanced signs of sickness in the body politic. The ranks of America’s military are now sullen and battered after 20 years of failed nation-building, while its higher officer corps is increasingly alienated from the world of its grunts, mirroring that same cultural, economic and social divide that is currently poisoning civilian life in the US.

The legitimacy of its elite has been shaken repeatedly, and faith in the electoral process itself is now rapidly declining among large segments of the electorate. America is currently a malarial swamp of strange new faiths, creeds, soothsayers and itinerant prophets; from Q to vaccine scientism to various forms of psuedo-gnosticism centered around trans people. To a student of history, this should also be a familiar — and quite ominous — sign: France in the 1780s had its own scientism and mesmerism, and Russia in the 1910s and 1980s was rife with soothsayers and itinerant preachers of new strange faiths.

Most ominously of all, however, looms the growing supply crisis. This crisis would be tolerable if it merely implied a lack of variety at the grocery store. In such a case, 2020s America might just have ushered in a new golden age of Soviet-style political jokes. But it is also creating havoc in the productive economy itself, denying farmers the spare parts to run their harvesters and car manufacturers the metals they need to make cars. The longer the crisis goes on, the more broken the economy will become, and the more painful the necessary reforms will be, once America’s elites truly wake up to the danger.

If there is one time throughout history where civil wars are actually likely to occur, it is precisely when a delegitimated elite undertakes necessary reforms after letting underlying problems fester for decades. That is when states are at their weakest, and when they are vulnerable to the worst forms of internal disasters. Sadly, that might just be where America is headed today.
A new American civil war would be very ugly. There is no geographic lives to draw on the map. It is mostly large cities VS the rest of the country. The cities unable to sustain themselves with food would largely find themselves in a perpetual state of starvation. Much like Mao did to Sheik.

Insurgency? That would depend on which side the army came down on, and how much wiliness to kill the people opposing it had.

Tim Pool has been talking about a new American civil war for a while now. I think he is overblown about it to *some* degree, Though he does make some good points as well.

I personally think when it is said and done most would regret it.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:48 am

Milo wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:04 pm
My Dad lived through the Blitz, signed up one year young (17) under an exemption, and then caught Malaria in the tropics, till he heard that two atomic bombs gave us VJ day. He had to stick around a bit, in case the RN was needed to put down a communist insurgency.

But by all means, let’s worry so much about these Instagram gun fops, who cry on cue!
Well Milo, you have revealed something about yourself we did not know about before.

Was your dad British and if so what subsequently moved him to migrate to Canada?

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:07 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:48 am
Milo wrote:

Well Milo, you have revealed something about yourself we did not know about before.

Was your dad British and if so what subsequently moved him to migrate to Canada?
I too am interested! :)
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:21 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:07 am
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:

My Dad was a British Subject, born in London UK. His father and uncle served in WWI BTW.

After the war, he graduated from Teacher’s College in the UK and found work. However, the UK was in a bad state and my Dad had always hoped to use some other training he had in geology. A cousin of his, already in Canada, told him about an oil boom in Alberta at the time. He decided to strike out on his own and seek work there. He arrived to find the boom gone bust and qualified as a teacher again! He became a Canadian and stayed with teaching till retirement. He is now 94 and still in good health, although he says he is tired a lot! My mother is Canadian Metis; they met at university in Edmonton.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:26 pm

Milo wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:21 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:07 am
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:

My Dad was a British Subject, born in London UK. His father and uncle served in WWI BTW.

After the war, he graduated from Teacher’s College in the UK and found work. However, the UK was in a bad state and my Dad had always hoped to use some other training he had in geology. A cousin of his, already in Canada, told him about an oil boom in Alberta at the time. He decided to strike out on his own and seek work there. He arrived to find the boom gone bust and qualified as a teacher again! He became a Canadian and stayed with teaching till retirement. He is now 94 and still in good health, although he says he is tired a lot! My mother is Canadian Metis; they met at university in Edmonton.
My fiancée is Canadian, from B.C. Her dad's parents were English and came over to Victoria ("Little England", apparently) some time around then, I gather.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:46 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:26 pm

My fiancée is Canadian, from B.C. Her dad's parents were English and came over to Victoria ("Little England", apparently) some time around then, I gather.
Congratulations Steve. Wishing you and betrothed a life of future contentment.

For a footloose Brit to settle down in any of Canada's four western provinces appears to be a good choice. There you gain virtually all of the advantages of settling in the United States but minus having to dodge all of the flying bullets in a country where every homicidal maniac has a constitutional guarantee of the right to gun ownership. :D

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:18 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:46 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:26 pm

Congratulations Steve. Wishing you and betrothed a life of future contentment.

For a footloose Brit to settle down in any of Canada's four western provinces appears to be a good choice. There you gain virtually all of the advantages of settling in the United States but minus having to dodge all of the flying bullets in a country where every homicidal maniac has a constitutional guarantee of the right to gun ownership. :D
My guess would be that Australia has their own version of this!

And congratulations Steve.