The US Doesn't Know What To Do About Taiwan

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: The US Doesn't Know What To Do About Taiwan

Post by Sertorio » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:10 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:43 pm

There is however an alternative reason why the USA might be moved to defend Taiwan and it has nothing to do with utility and eveything to do with what the island symbolises. Taiwan has successfully transformed from a dictatorial tyranny into a thriving democracy. If the USA fails to rally to Taiwan's defence I am sure plenty of Americans will be left feeling that their country has betrayed everything that it purports to believe in.
Once more, stop thinking you have a right to interfere in other people's affairs. And that your standards should be imposed on everybody. Chinese freedom is a matter to be handled by the Chinese themselves. And both the US and Australia have enough skeletons in their closets to impose on them a total silence on what concerns other countries. Or maybe China should start getting involved in the fate of Native Americans or Australian Aboriginal people...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:46 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:10 am
neverfail wrote:

There is however an alternative reason why the USA might be moved to defend Taiwan and it has nothing to do with utility and eveything to do with what the island symbolises. Taiwan has successfully transformed from a dictatorial tyranny into a thriving democracy. If the USA fails to rally to Taiwan's defence I am sure plenty of Americans will be left feeling that their country has betrayed everything that it purports to believe in.
Once more, stop thinking you have a right to interfere in other people's affairs.
"Interfere?" :lol: I am exercising my right to have, hold and express an opinion just as you are when posting on this website. My above view must have struck a raw nwerve or how else can I explain the outlandish accusation "interfere"?
Chinese freedom is a matter to be handled by the Chinese themselves.
The Chinese of Taiwan have made their choice and have chosen freedom. The Chinese of mainland China has not been permitted to do so.
And both the US and Australia have enough skeletons in their closets to impose on them a total silence on what concerns other countries.
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". (words of Jesus Christ - which you are likely to be utterly unfamilar with being a non-believer who seems never to have seriously considered the wisdom to be derived from being one.)
.......................................................................................................................................

The above words in response to Uche Africanus came after my agreement that in an armed struggle over the fate of Taiwan the PRC held the geostrategic advantage; so it might pay the USA to cut its losses by not rushing to Taiwan's aid militarily. The above trailer merely suggested that despite this handicap the USA (and allies) might still come to Taiwan's aid against PRC aggression because being a kindred democracy it symbolises what the USA itself purportedly values.

Making an observation (nb) like that has nothing to do with imposing values: my own or anyone elses.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:59 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:46 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:10 am
neverfail wrote:

Once more, stop thinking you have a right to interfere in other people's affairs.
"Interfere?" :lol: I am exercising my right to have, hold and express an opinion just as you are when posting on this website. My above view must have struck a raw nwerve or how else can I explain the outlandish accusation "interfere"?
Chinese freedom is a matter to be handled by the Chinese themselves.
The Chinese of Taiwan have made their choice and have chosen freedom. The Chinese of mainland China has not been permitted to do so.
And both the US and Australia have enough skeletons in their closets to impose on them a total silence on what concerns other countries.
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". (words of Jesus Christ - which you are likely to be utterly unfamilar with being a non-believer who seems never to have seriously considered the wisdom to be derived from being one.)
.......................................................................................................................................

The above words in response to Uche Africanus came after my agreement that in an armed struggle over the fate of Taiwan the PRC held the geostrategic advantage; so it might pay the USA to cut its losses by not rushing to Taiwan's aid militarily. The above trailer merely suggested that despite this handicap the USA (and allies) might still come to Taiwan's aid against PRC aggression because being a kindred democracy it symbolises what the USA itself purportedly values.

Making an observation (nb) like that has nothing to do with imposing values: my own or anyone elses.
It's not your opinion I am concerned about, it's the fact that you feel the US - and Australia - should interfere in China's affairs. As a citizen you can influence your government's policies, which may lead to war. That goes well beyond the range of an opinion...

World peace requires each country respecting other countries' sovereignty, something the US and Australia systematically fail to do. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion about the acceptability of China's government's actions, but war is only acceptable in legitimate defense, and China is not threatening to attack Australia.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:43 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:59 am

It's not your opinion I am concerned about, it's the fact that you feel the US - and Australia - should interfere in China's affairs.
"Interfering" in China's affairs? The shoe is on the other foot Sertorio.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:27 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:43 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:59 am

It's not your opinion I am concerned about, it's the fact that you feel the US - and Australia - should interfere in China's affairs.
"Interfering" in China's affairs? The shoe is on the other foot Sertorio.
:shock: :shock: :shock: