China resumes buying Australian coal

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Re: China resumes buying Australian coal

Post by neverfail » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:38 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:07 am
Recognizing a reality is not promoting an image. It's being realistic.
Denying a reality acheives neither.

Underestimating China will not lead you anywhere good.
Nor will overestimating it Sertorio.
Last edited by neverfail on Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:39 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:03 am
cassowary wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:27 pm

The key question is whether China will take over the world. This scares me and it should scare you too.
Of course China will not take over the world. It's not in their nature. But they will try to make as much money as possible in their dealings with the rest of the world...
Well they are claiming the South China Sea which would reduce us to vassals.
The Imp :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:43 am

cassowary wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:39 am
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

The key question is whether China will take over the world. This scares me and it should scare you too.
Of course China will not take over the world. It's not in their nature. But they will try to make as much money as possible in their dealings with the rest of the world...
So is Taiwan!

The only difference is that while the PRC has the might to enforce the claim, Taiwan does not.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:17 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:43 am
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

So is Taiwan!

The only difference is that while the PRC has the might to enforce the claim, Taiwan does not.
That's fair, although hopefully we can all agree that Taiwan's claim in this regard is just as risible as the mainland's.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:09 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:17 am
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

So is Taiwan!

That's fair, although hopefully we can all agree that Taiwan's claim in this regard is just as risible as the mainland's.
Taiwan has suspended the claim.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:35 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:09 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

So is Taiwan!

When? I can't find any reference to them having done so.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:32 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:35 am
cassowary wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

So is Taiwan!

Seems like they did in the last couple of days. Xi said he would reunify with Taiwan "peacefully". Taiwan rejected the statement. I took the rejection was based on the perception of lack of truth in Xi's statement. But diplomatically on th eface of it Taiwan rejected "peaceful" reunification with China.

Taiwan’s President Tsai Ing-Wen responded defiantly to President Xi Jinping’s vow to reunify with China, saying the island will not be forced to bow to China and will bolster military defenses. Tension reached historic highs in the past week when China sent nearly 150 warplanes into Taiwan's air defense zone.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:06 pm

cassowary wrote:
If it has suspended its claim to the South China Sea then it is news to me (can you supply a credable link to prove it Cass?). Just as Taipei has not dismissed it's official name "Republic of China": identifying themselves as a rival regime to that of the CCP for the allegance of the whole of China.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:13 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:35 am
cassowary wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

So is Taiwan!

Steve and Neverfail,

Taiwan implicitly has given up claims to the South China Sea because it suspended its claims long ago.

The longer the suspension, the weaker the claim. Furthermore, recent declarations only made Taiwanese claims to islands and no mention of the sea thus implying it no longer claims the sea.

Taiwan’s non claim is implicit and not explicit.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:11 pm

cassowary wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:13 pm

Steve and Neverfail,

Taiwan implicitly has given up claims to the South China Sea because it suspended its claims long ago.

The longer the suspension, the weaker the claim. Furthermore, recent declarations only made Taiwanese claims to islands and no mention of the sea thus implying it no longer claims the sea.

Taiwan’s non claim is implicit and not explicit.
To me that (above) opinion piece reads as a load of gobbledegook whose purpose is to confound and confuse.

https://www.e-ir.info/2021/01/16/the-ta ... aped-line/

This reletavely recent essay contends that the ROC is still a player in the South China Sea. You cannot seperate soverignty over the islands from the adjoining waters and seabed for with ownership of the dry land goes ownership of the other two in the form of the exclusive economic zone all maritime states are permitted to lay claim to under current international law.