Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: China resumes buying Australian coal

Post by Sertorio » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:07 pm

Milo wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:52 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:51 am
Rather than arguing I prefer to invite you all to read the latest David Goldman's article:
China marches on towards Fourth Industrial Revolution
Pundit predictions of China's demise are the latest self-consoling illusions of a lazy elite who can't see the AI writing on the wall

By DAVID P. GOLDMAN
OCTOBER 8, 2021

https://asiatimes.com/2021/10/china-mar ... evolution/
I guess most of you respect Goldman's intellect, so maybe you will spare a moment to think about what he is talking about...
That China is ahead in implementing many of these things is no surprise, dictatorships don’t have to deal with safety or public opinion, until they have a truly Chernobyl moment (China hasn’t had that for decades, recent media hype saying so is just the quest for eyeballs).

Goldman writes those pieces because he thinks China success will scare the West into repealing same sex marriage. I respect his intellect mostly in the areas of music and history, he has been drastically off when he wrote about other things.

The question isn’t whether China will continue to advance technologically, obviously they will. The question is whether their political system will advance, without that, they will always underutilize their human potential, the only thing that really matters.
Have you spared a moment to think the Chinese political system is maybe the most adequate for the Chinese themselves? If that's the case then their human potential will not be underutilized. In the West we have this tendency to think only our ways are good and efficient, and we forget that is a matter of culture.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:50 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:07 pm
Milo wrote:
The question isn’t whether China will continue to advance technologically, obviously they will. The question is whether their political system will advance, without that, they will always underutilize their human potential, the only thing that really matters.
Have you spared a moment to think the Chinese political system is maybe the most adequate for the Chinese themselves? If that's the case then their human potential will not be underutilized. In the West we have this tendency to think only our ways are good and efficient, and we forget that is a matter of culture.
Culture matters, but only so much. The Chinese are not a different species than the rest of us; human nature applies to us all.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:03 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:50 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:
Culture matters, but only so much. The Chinese are not a different species than the rest of us; human nature applies to us all.
Not in the same manner to all of us. Papuas do not think and act in the same way as Australians...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:25 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Cassowary begs to differ with me on this of course: from my comprehension of Chinese history; the difficulties of governing such a large and diverse population etc; I have concluded that Western style multi-party democracy would never have worked in China and if tried would likely have led to the country's breakup. But resigned acceptance of an inescapable conclusion is not the same as approval of the system or the numerous travesties it has committed and is still doing so.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:36 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:03 pm
Not in the same manner to all of us. Papuas do not think and act in the same way as Australians...
You are quite right there Sertorio: yet to their credit despite widespread corruption in government circles up there they have managed to maintain the system of parliamentary democracy bequeathed to them by Australia at the time that Papua-Nuigini was granted independence in 1975. Not many ex-colonial countries have acheived the equivalent of that.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:27 pm

Milo wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:51 am
Rather than arguing I prefer to invite you all to read the latest David Goldman's article:
China marches on towards Fourth Industrial Revolution
Pundit predictions of China's demise are the latest self-consoling illusions of a lazy elite who can't see the AI writing on the wall

By DAVID P. GOLDMAN
OCTOBER 8, 2021

https://asiatimes.com/2021/10/china-mar ... evolution/
I guess most of you respect Goldman's intellect, so maybe you will spare a moment to think about what he is talking about...
That China is ahead in implementing many of these things is no surprise, dictatorships don’t have to deal with safety or public opinion, until they have a truly Chernobyl moment (China hasn’t had that for decades, recent media hype saying so is just the quest for eyeballs).

Goldman writes those pieces because he thinks China success will scare the West into repealing same sex marriage. I respect his intellect mostly in the areas of music and history, he has been drastically off when he wrote about other things.

The key question 🙋‍♂️ is whether China 🇨🇳 will take over the world. This scares me and it should scare you too.
The Imp :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:01 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:27 pm
Milo wrote:

The key question 🙋‍♂️ is whether China 🇨🇳 will take over the world. This scares me and it should scare you too.
I have noticed that in recent times David Goldman ("Goldie" for short :) ) has become something of a bullish promoter of the image of the PRC as the epicentre of global technological progress to be. Ignoring all of the current news of the existential crisis the PRC seems to be in now viz energy shortfalls and corporate debt I find that ironic.

Goldie may not be entirely honest in that his reports and essays on the theme may be scare stories whose purpose is to goad the United States to get its act together with a view to restoring American competitiveness in this field.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:12 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:01 pm
cassowary wrote:
Milo wrote:

I have noticed that in recent times David Goldman ("Goldie" for short :) ) has become something of a bullish promoter of the image of the PRC as the epicentre of global technological progress to be. Ignoring all of the current news of the existential crisis the PRC seems to be in now viz energy shortfalls and corporate debt I find that ironic.

Goldie may not be entirely honest in that his reports and essays on the theme may be scare stories whose purpose is to goad the United States to get its act together with a view to restoring American competitiveness in this field.
I agree. In fact, I was thinking of the same thing. But don’t dismiss it altogether. China has a larger population than the US. So by right, they should be producing more scientists and engineers.
The Imp :D

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:03 am

cassowary wrote:

The key question is whether China will take over the world. This scares me and it should scare you too.
Of course China will not take over the world. It's not in their nature. But they will try to make as much money as possible in their dealings with the rest of the world...

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:07 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:01 pm
cassowary wrote:
Milo wrote:

Recognizing a reality is not promoting an image. It's being realistic. Underestimating China will not lead you anywhere good.