China resumes buying Australian coal

Discussion of current events
SteveFoerster

Re: China resumes buying Australian coal

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:02 pm

Has Taiwan Implicitly Clarified the U-Shaped Line?
I'm reminded of Betteridge's Law of Headlines, which states: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

cassowary

Re: China resumes buying Australian coal

Post by cassowary » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:01 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:11 pm
cassowary wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:13 pm

Steve and Neverfail,

Taiwan implicitly has given up claims to the South China Sea because it suspended its claims long ago.

The longer the suspension, the weaker the claim. Furthermore, recent declarations only made Taiwanese claims to islands and no mention of the sea thus implying it no longer claims the sea.

Taiwan’s non claim is implicit and not explicit.
To me that (above) opinion piece reads as a load of gobbledegook whose purpose is to confound and confuse.

https://www.e-ir.info/2021/01/16/the-ta ... aped-line/

This reletavely recent essay contends that the ROC is still a player in the South China Sea. You cannot seperate soverignty over the islands from the adjoining waters and seabed for with ownership of the dry land goes ownership of the other two in the form of the exclusive economic zone all maritime states are permitted to lay claim to under current international law.
I recall reading long ago that the US has no opinion on ownership on who owns the islands - the Paracels and Spratlys. But the US disputes the ownership of the sea itself which they claim (as does Singapore) to be international waters. So, yes, you can separate the two.

If I have find a time, I will find a link.
The Imp :D