China resumes buying Australian coal

Discussion of current events
SteveFoerster

Re: China resumes buying Australian coal

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:02 pm

Has Taiwan Implicitly Clarified the U-Shaped Line?
I'm reminded of Betteridge's Law of Headlines, which states: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:01 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:11 pm
cassowary wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:13 pm

Steve and Neverfail,

Taiwan implicitly has given up claims to the South China Sea because it suspended its claims long ago.

The longer the suspension, the weaker the claim. Furthermore, recent declarations only made Taiwanese claims to islands and no mention of the sea thus implying it no longer claims the sea.

Taiwan’s non claim is implicit and not explicit.
To me that (above) opinion piece reads as a load of gobbledegook whose purpose is to confound and confuse.

https://www.e-ir.info/2021/01/16/the-ta ... aped-line/

This reletavely recent essay contends that the ROC is still a player in the South China Sea. You cannot seperate soverignty over the islands from the adjoining waters and seabed for with ownership of the dry land goes ownership of the other two in the form of the exclusive economic zone all maritime states are permitted to lay claim to under current international law.
I recall reading long ago that the US has no opinion on ownership on who owns the islands - the Paracels and Spratlys. But the US disputes the ownership of the sea itself which they claim (as does Singapore) to be international waters. So, yes, you can separate the two.

If I have find a time, I will find a link.
The Imp :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:00 pm

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News ... C3vlJ7hB5g
Coal Prices Hit New Record In China As Energy Crunch Intensifies

Coal supply in China continues to be very tight with roaring power demand, flat domestic production, and a spat with major coal exporter Australia that has seen Chinese authorities impose an unofficial ban on imports.
All that those silly buggers in charge of things in Beijing need to do is allow imports of Australian coal to flood into their country and coal prices will drop. Problem solved!

(We Australians would not even oblige the PRC government to publically eat crow over it either.) :D

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:05 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:00 pm

(We Australians would not even oblige the PRC government to publically eat crow over it either.) :D
No, of course not. You will just double the price and laugh all the way to the bank. :lol:

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:27 am

cassowary wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:05 pm
neverfail wrote:

No, of course not. You will just double the price and laugh all the way to the bank. :lol:
Your world looks like a Comics story... I'm sure your favorite US President would be Bugs Bunny...

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:18 am

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:27 am
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Your world looks like a Comics story... I'm sure your favorite US President would be Bugs Bunny...

Hahaha. That’s funny, Sertorio.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:49 pm

cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

No need for us to do so "buggs" :) Cassowary as the PRC government and the Europeans jointly have done it for us (thank you very much to both from the bottom of our coal pit).

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/coal

Take a look at the graph on this link and you will see what I mean.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:32 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:49 pm
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

No need for us to do so "buggs" :) Cassowary as the PRC government and the Europeans jointly have done it for us (thank you very much to both from the bottom of our coal pit).

$230 per ton?! Wow. Australia is booming.

cassowary

Xi threw a boomerang at Australia and hit himself.

Post by cassowary » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:28 am

You will love this, Neverfail.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:33 pm

cassowary wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:32 am
neverfail wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:49 pm
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

$230 per ton?! Wow. Australia is booming.
Well, they would currently be happy in our coal mining districts Cassowary for all of the employment it is providing.

Alas, the long term outlook looks bleaker. The world is turning against coal as a fuel. Disproportionately, orders for our coal come from China and India and I believe that it is only a matter of time before even these two step into line and dispense with coal as well.