Discussion of current events
Doc

Re: Why America failed in Afghanistan

Post by Doc » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:53 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:58 am
neverfail wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:20 pm
I would not be the least surprised were that smug superiority towards the USA you detect in Europeans to be prompted by exactly the same envy as that "attitude" I ran into in New Zealand half a century ago. The USA has the power to do things in the world that Europe has not the means to do: and of course Europeans hate having to play second fiddle to anyone.
Similarly, I've often suspected that insecurity is the reason that Canadian exceptionalism seems based mostly on specious comparisons with the U.S. and exaggerating what few differences there are between the two. Which is weird to me, because I find that Canada is actually perfectly great on its own without the need for comparison.
Canada's problem is that there is no common unifying ground for Canadians. Hence the government has always pushed "Canada exceptionalism" in diversity as it commonality that is different from the US. Never mind that in the LA county school system alone there are 196 languages taught(last time I checked).

At various times in the past the central provinces of Canada have talk of succession from Canada to join the US. Which horrifies Canadian politicians of the central government. Therefore "Canadian exceptionalism" in an attempt to end such talk.

If Canadian diversity is so important What about the other letters of the alphabet?

:D
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:03 am

Doc wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:21 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:47 am

I assure you that, contrarily to Americans, the last thing Europeans want is to rule the world. We do not envy Americans, we are horrified at the sight of a religious deranged people who feel God has given them the mission of saving the world. And to do that everything is allowed, including the systematic torturing and killing of innocent people. What is surprising is seeing how the many sane Americans who we know are there are completely powerless to control their insane rulers. A true revolution might help solving that, but I don't see it happening in the US.
Probably not. But at least, unlike Europe, we still have the right
You may have the right but not the inclination, and thus the right is useless... As to Europe, whenever we made a true revolution - 1789 and 1917 - we did not need any permission to do it...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:12 am

Doc wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:53 am
Canada's problem is that there is no common unifying ground for Canadians. Hence the government has always pushed "Canada exceptionalism" in diversity as it commonality that is different from the US. Never mind that in the LA county school system alone there are 196 languages taught(last time I checked).

At various times in the past the central provinces of Canada have talk of succession from Canada to join the US. Which horrifies Canadian politicians of the central government. Therefore "Canadian exceptionalism" in an attempt to end such talk.
The '90s Quebec referendum failed, and since then reports of Canada's demise have been greatly exaggerated. There may be a few in Quebec and Alberta still wanting to go their own way, but not to join the U.S., and there aren't enough of them in either place to matter. Similarly, there are a few in Oregon, Washington State, and British Columbia who'd like to see those places join together as an independent Cascadia, but they're a minority.
Doc wrote:
If Canadian diversity is so important What about the other letters of the alphabet?

:D
But he's so dreeeeeeamy! :lol:
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:45 pm

Doc wrote:
Canada's problem is that there is no common unifying ground for Canadians.
You are not entirely wrong there Doc: except for the perception that "we are NOT Americans".

A Canadian is a person who lives on the North American continent but whose forefathers rejected the American dream. :)