Why America failed in Afghanistan

Discussion of current events
cassowary

Why America failed in Afghanistan

Post by cassowary » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:00 am

The American blind spot

The sooner Americans realise that culture makes a difference the better. You have to be realistic. The culture bred by Islam hinders progress. Under Islamic influence the Afghans saw laws made by elected officials and equality of the sexes as evil. They saw the Taliban as the lesser of two evils.
The Imp :D

SteveFoerster

Re: Why America failed in Afghanistan

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:16 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:00 am
The American blind spot

The sooner Americans clear away their blind spot caused by political correctness, the better.
Since Western culture predates Christianity, it seems that the former influenced the latter at least as much as the other way around. The article's thesis also discounts the many contributions to Western culture from Jews and Muslims, especially the Muslim world's role in preserving so many works from antiquity when the West was in disarray.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:51 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:16 am
cassowary wrote:
The American blind spot

The sooner Americans clear away their blind spot caused by political correctness, the better.
Since Western culture predates Christianity, it seems that the former influenced the latter at least as much as the other way around. The article's thesis also discounts the many contributions to Western culture from Jews and Muslims, especially the Muslim world's role in preserving so many works from antiquity when the West was in disarray.
Religion is the problem. Because it is systematically used to control people and make them dependent on the clergy - the guys who can make sure you go to a fake paradise instead of to a fake hell. Contrarily to what Cass may think, this isn't a Marxist invention. Greek philosophers of the Hellenistic period already said it, 2,300 years ago. Judaism, Christendom and Islam are just the most important users of manipulation and brain washing, in order to have people give to their clergy what they want, namely money and power. Iranians and Americans are the greatest victims of religious manipulation, and that's why they can't get along with each other...

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:29 pm

Everybody failed in Afghanistan, including the afghanis.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:12 pm

Might I be so bold as to remind my readers of the original reason why US forces were sent into Afghanistan in the first place:

They were sent in to get Osama bin Laden over the 9/11 Twin Towers terror attack.

To do this they had to team up with the Tajik warlord fiefdom in the Panjshir Valley - the one corner of Afghasnistan that had held out against the Taliban. Without that receptive entry point it is doubtful whether US forces could have successfully entered the country.

When by mid-2002 it had become clear that the slippery eel had excaped them and was no longer in Afghanistan they should have called it quits and left. It seems that at that point Neocon idealism/hubris seized control of the Bush administration. "While not while our forces are still their transform Afghanistan into a capitalist democracy? After all, we did it in both Germany and Japan after WW2. So what's the difference? One shoe size fits all pairs of feet. "

That's where America failed in Afghanistan.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:25 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:12 pm
Might I be so bold as to remind my readers of the original reason why US forces were sent into Afghanistan in the first place:

They were sent in to get Osama bin Laden over the 9/11 Twin Towers terror attack.
It would have been a lot cheaper to let the Taliban send him to Qatar, as they originally offered. Oh well.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:20 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:25 pm
neverfail wrote:

It would have been a lot cheaper to let the Taliban send him to Qatar, as they originally offered. Oh well.
Just as it would have been cheaper for the Roosevelt administration to have ignored the 1941 bombing of Pearl Harbour as i9nconsequential and allowed Imperial Japan to continue the invasion of China just as they wanted to (along with the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union) unimpeded. But neither Roosevelt nor Bush "turned the other cheek" . to do so would have denied both themselves and the US public the satisfaction of veangence on the aggressor.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:08 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:20 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Just as it would have been cheaper for the Roosevelt administration to have ignored the 1941 bombing of Pearl Harbour as i9nconsequential and allowed Imperial Japan to continue the invasion of China just as they wanted to (along with the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union) unimpeded. But neither Roosevelt nor Bush "turned the other cheek" . to do so would have denied both themselves and the US public the satisfaction of veangence on the aggressor.
The US HAD TO respond to the attack on Pearl Harbour. But Afghanistan was not responsible for the attack on the Twin Towers. Besides, most wars waged by the US since 1945 have simply been the result of the US wanting to impose its will on every other people on the planet. The US has the aggressiveness of all imperial powers, and the only thing for everybody else to do is to resist such aggressiveness, by all means available. So far resisting the US has been difficult, but now both Russia and China have the means to do it, and we must be thankful for that.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:22 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:08 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:20 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
neverfail wrote:

The US HAD TO respond to the attack on Pearl Harbour. But Afghanistan was not responsible for the attack on the Twin Towers. Besides, most wars waged by the US since 1945 have simply been the result of the US wanting to impose its will on every other people on the planet. The US has the aggressiveness of all imperial powers, and the only thing for everybody else to do is to resist such aggressiveness, by all means available. So far resisting the US has been difficult, but now both Russia and China have the means to do it, and we must be thankful for that.
The US had Bin Laden on video admitting he was responsible. The Taliban refused to turn him over. TO THE POINT that many against going to war over 911 to get Bin Laden claimed it was a matter for the police. As if the Taliban were going to honor an arrest warrant.

AS I already pointed out

viewtopic.php?p=41948#p41948
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:32 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:16 am
cassowary wrote:
The American blind spot

To some extent. But most of the works of antiquity were also preserved in the monasteries. Also the culture Islam and that of Christianity are miles apart. In the Middle East mind, democracy is an affront to Allah for it means putting man above God. It is only Allah that has the right to determine what laws mankind must live by.

All these laws were revealed to the Prophet Mohammed and codified in the Shara. Thus for example, the equality of man and woman as taught by the Americans is a corruption of the Islamic way of life. Man and woman are unequal. That is why a man can have 4 wives and not the other way around.

Thus America, in trying to bring in democracy where man an woman both can have one vote (implying equality) is corrupting them.
The Imp :D