'Pandora Papers': Massive leak exposes offshore dealings of 35 world leaders

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Re: 'Pandora Papers': Massive leak exposes offshore dealings of 35 world leaders

Post by neverfail » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:17 pm

Sertorio,

keep posting. On occasion I even manage (like a good prospector) to seperate a grain of gold from out of all of the otherwise worthless washdirt. :D

Sertorio

Re: 'Pandora Papers': Massive leak exposes offshore dealings of 35 world leaders

Post by Sertorio » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:59 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:17 pm
Sertorio,

keep posting. On occasion I even manage (like a good prospector) to seperate a grain of gold from out of all of the otherwise worthless washdirt. :D
As an university professor one of my constant concerns was offering my students a wide view of opinions on any issue, and challenge them to consider with an open mind every opinion. In the end it was up to them to decide which view seemed more reasonable to them, without ever refusing to consider the alternatives. I try to do the same here, although I tend to favour those opinions I know you are not likely to come across in your country's media. The fact that some of you have a systematic negative view of some countries and their leaders, without ever stopping to consider their side of the issues, is particularly unsettling to me. Your willingness to wage war on a country such as China, with its old civilization and culture, with its amazingly smart and hard working people, with its extraordinary achievements, is completely beyond understanding to me. I can understand your negative views of its regime, but you seem to forget that China's regime is exclusively the business of the Chinese people themselves. And if a majority of them seem to be happy with it, so be it.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:54 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:59 am
As an university professor one of my constant concerns was offering my students a wide view of opinions on any issue, and challenge them to consider with an open mind every opinion. In the end it was up to them to decide which view seemed more reasonable to them, without ever refusing to consider the alternatives. I try to do the same here, although I tend to favour those opinions I know you are not likely to come across in your country's media. The fact that some of you have a systematic negative view of some countries and their leaders, without ever stopping to consider their side of the issues, is particularly unsettling to me.
To that end, I do genuinely hope you respond to what I said about radio news in my area.
Sertorio wrote:
Your willingness to wage war on a country such as China, with its old civilization and culture, with its amazingly smart and hard working people, with its extraordinary achievements, is completely beyond understanding to me.
All they have to do to avoid that is not invade any more of their neighbours.
Sertorio wrote:
I can understand your negative views of its regime, but you seem to forget that China's regime is exclusively the business of the Chinese people themselves. And if a majority of them seem to be happy with it, so be it.
That's a rather big "if" considering that they're literally not allowed to express unhappiness with it. Besides, the world has advanced beyond the notion that crimes against humanity are no one's concern so long as they stay within one country's borders.

But I agree that no one should be eager for military conflict between the Allies and China.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:52 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:09 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:48 am
I tend to post articles which otherwise you would ignore, with a view to have you realize that events around the world and opinions are not only those which you read in the Western Media. You see, I think you are an honest person but cannot make a proper opinion about what happens in the world, because you do not have access to accurate information. Hopefully I am encouraging you not to ignore essential facts and views...
You underestimate me. These days I'm mostly in the Washington, D.C. area, and sometimes I'll listen to the radio when I'm in the car. When it comes to news, the radio stations here include NPR (centre-left), Pacifica (far left), WTOP (CBS affiliate, a few national and world headlines but mostly local), and Radio Sputnik.

(There's also C-SPAN Radio and a few right-wing talk stations, but they don't really count as news.)

Anyway, if I run out of podcasts, sometimes I'll switch back and forth among NPR, Pacifica, and Sputnik to see what the various points of view are saying.

NPR tries to sound oh-so-serious, their name may say "Public" but they're solidly elitist. Their bias is largely reflected by story selection and in subtle turns of phrase. Their presenters also have a practiced knack for making vocalisations of agreement when someone they're interviewing says something they like, which is clever because it influences the listeners and yet wouldn't appear on a transcript. It's insidious, and a bit reminiscent of William F. Buckley's observation that "liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."

Pacifica doesn't sound corporate and doesn't want to. They're unabashed about being what they are, which is actually refreshing. When they're wrong, they're hilariously wrong, but they do sometimes raise issues that one won't hear anywhere else. And I'll never forget when Amy Goodman had Ron Paul as a guest on her show even though they have different points of view, which she did because he was an important national figure who was being shut out by the mainstream media. I respected that. I don't know what the options are for listening to them in Portugal, but you might like them.

WTOP is mostly local news that doesn't interest me, traffic reports and weather that I ca get from my phone, and so forth. They're the number one rated radio station in the area, but not because of me.

Radio Sputnik, well, they're interesting. They've very polished and professional sounding, taking their cue in that from the BBC World Service. As with many other outlets, story selection is the way they show their bias. Every single story they present is designed to sow mistrust in the listener towards Western societal institutions. Healthcare, finance, education, government, you name it. What's interesting about it is that during the Trump administration they had a deliberate libertarian-sounding spin, to weaken the Trump administration, but now that Biden is in the White House that's changed to have a pretty far left spin, because it weakens Biden to spur infighting between moderates and progressives in the Democratic Party.

Mostly, though, I've given up on news in general, especially since I have a firm understanding of how Gell-Mann Amnesia works. That means I've mostly given up on radio altogether in favour of Pandora for music and podcasts for everything else.
I used to listen to WTOP "Federal Radio" When Obama became president it changed Seemed like it was then Radio Obama and the democrats. There was one daily segment "News from all sides" (as long as they were on left side). It was interesting listen to it back when I did though. They had really expensive radio commercials that had a target audience of literally 535 people. Then other ads targeting people in the pentagon. Plus lots and lots of advertisements related to data services for humongous organizations. AKA the Federal government.

Since they changed it seems like they only talk about things the DC establishment cares about IN THE WAY the DC establishment wants them talked about, and disregards the rest.

I spend more time reading foreign sources of news then those of the US. The latter mostly serving up spoon fed sugar and personal opinion instead of real news. Not that I trust any media source very much. If there is any indication of bias either way I tend to lower its credibility rating. And I judge that for myself.

The media has gotten so bad that people are talking about making false reporting criminal. Then of course you have to decide as a society who is going to decide that and who is going to judge the deciders. Then who is going to judge the judges. Otherwise everyone will be personally required to judge individually. (Heaven forbid people mostly all act like responsible adults least that society fails for lack of being a society of individuals.)
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros