Australia, Allende and the CIA

Discussion of current events
User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 5596
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Australia, Allende and the CIA

Post by Sertorio » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:14 am

Declassified documents show Australia assisted CIA in coup against Chile’s Salvador Allende
Fri 10 Sep 2021 15.02 BST
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... or-allende

Australia’s covert overseas spy agency, the Australian Secret Intelligence Service, opened a base in Santiago to assist in the US Central Intelligence Agency’s destabilisation of the Chilean government ahead of the bloody military coup against Salvador Allende’s socialist government 48 years ago today.

Declassified Australian government documents prove that in December 1970 Liberal foreign minister and later prime minister, Billy McMahon, approved an Asis request to open the base. For 18 months from 1971, according to the US-based National Security Archive, Asis apparently conducted covert operations in Chile – including handling CIA-recruited Chilean assets in Santiago and filing intelligence reports to CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia.

The documents disclose how McMahon’s successor, Labor’s Gough Whitlam elected in December 1972, less than a year later ordered the then Asis director, William Robertson, to disband the service’s Chilean operations.

But the documents, released in June to former Australian army intelligence officer and academic Clinton Fernandes, indicate Whitlam was torn between any real politik embarrassing revelations about Asis involvement in undermining fellow progressive left-winger Allende might cause, and concern Washington might view the spy agency’s retreat as anti-American or “embarrass [the] CIA”.

(...)
Typical Anglo conspiracy which helps to explain Australia's continued vassal status in respect of the US...

neverfail
Posts: 7291
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Australia, Allende and the CIA

Post by neverfail » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:34 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:14 am
Declassified documents show Australia assisted CIA in coup against Chile’s Salvador Allende
Fri 10 Sep 2021 15.02 BST
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... or-allende

Australia’s covert overseas spy agency, the Australian Secret Intelligence Service, opened a base in Santiago to assist in the US Central Intelligence Agency’s destabilisation of the Chilean government ahead of the bloody military coup against Salvador Allende’s socialist government 48 years ago today.

Declassified Australian government documents prove that in December 1970 Liberal foreign minister and later prime minister, Billy McMahon, approved an Asis request to open the base. For 18 months from 1971, according to the US-based National Security Archive, Asis apparently conducted covert operations in Chile – including handling CIA-recruited Chilean assets in Santiago and filing intelligence reports to CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia.

The documents disclose how McMahon’s successor, Labor’s Gough Whitlam elected in December 1972, less than a year later ordered the then Asis director, William Robertson, to disband the service’s Chilean operations.

But the documents, released in June to former Australian army intelligence officer and academic Clinton Fernandes, indicate Whitlam was torn between any real politik embarrassing revelations about Asis involvement in undermining fellow progressive left-winger Allende might cause, and concern Washington might view the spy agency’s retreat as anti-American or “embarrass [the] CIA”.

(...)
Typical Anglo conspiracy which helps to explain Australia's continued vassal status in respect of the US...
Easy enough for you to snear!

I am of course appalled that this country, or rather our government of the day, could have had a hand in such a nefarious matter.

I recall Foreign Minister and Prime Minister William (Billy) Mc Mahon - one of the least impressive political leaders this country has ever had. Australia had no national interest at stake in overthrowing the Allende government (Chile is by no means then or now a priority area in Australian foreign policy goals) but I am sure the assistance our spy agency gave to the CIA was given in a spirit of appeasement: give President Nixon and the Yanks what they want or else they have ways of doing something to us that could (at the least) prove politically embarrasing.

Mc Mahon's derisive image contributed to his government's electoral defeat in December 1972. The succesor government was led by Edward Gough Whitlam who was a far more impressive (and memorable) political figure but alas, unlike his predecessor Whitlam led a faction ridden party that was at war with itself within. Had the decision been Whitlam's to make back in 1970 I believe that he would have likely run the political risk of upsetting our ally by denying their request for Australian assistance in Allende's overthrow.

In any case with or without help from our spy agency Nixon was determined to bring about the end of the Allende government in Chile - and that was that! Further, it is not as though Allende and supporters did not do plenty in their own right to invite such a backlash as the 1973 coup.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 5151
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: Australia, Allende and the CIA

Post by cassowary » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:31 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:14 am
Declassified documents show Australia assisted CIA in coup against Chile’s Salvador Allende
Fri 10 Sep 2021 15.02 BST
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... or-allende

Australia’s covert overseas spy agency, the Australian Secret Intelligence Service, opened a base in Santiago to assist in the US Central Intelligence Agency’s destabilisation of the Chilean government ahead of the bloody military coup against Salvador Allende’s socialist government 48 years ago today.

Declassified Australian government documents prove that in December 1970 Liberal foreign minister and later prime minister, Billy McMahon, approved an Asis request to open the base. For 18 months from 1971, according to the US-based National Security Archive, Asis apparently conducted covert operations in Chile – including handling CIA-recruited Chilean assets in Santiago and filing intelligence reports to CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia.

The documents disclose how McMahon’s successor, Labor’s Gough Whitlam elected in December 1972, less than a year later ordered the then Asis director, William Robertson, to disband the service’s Chilean operations.

But the documents, released in June to former Australian army intelligence officer and academic Clinton Fernandes, indicate Whitlam was torn between any real politik embarrassing revelations about Asis involvement in undermining fellow progressive left-winger Allende might cause, and concern Washington might view the spy agency’s retreat as anti-American or “embarrass [the] CIA”.

(...)
Typical Anglo conspiracy which helps to explain Australia's continued vassal status in respect of the US...
Good. They saved Chile from becoming another Cuba. Pinochet brought prosperity and later restored Democracy to Chile. And what about Cuba? Still an impoverished dictatorship.
The Imp :D

neverfail
Posts: 7291
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Australia, Allende and the CIA

Post by neverfail » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:56 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:31 pm

Good. They saved Chile from becoming another Cuba. Pinochet brought prosperity and later restored Democracy to Chile. And what about Cuba? Still an impoverished dictatorship.
Allende and cohorts aroused enough emnity against itself to ensure that pressures within the country would have brought it to a premature and ignoble end. On that basis I don't see American machanations as having been necessary to rid Chile of Allende. Just let nature take it course.

About the one redeeming feature of the coup was that it pespite the subsequent killings, incarceration and torture of many thousands of known and suspected Allende supporters it likely spared Chine something far worse: a full blown civil war.

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 3434
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Australia, Allende and the CIA

Post by Milo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:07 pm

Must be a lot more to this. Why would the CIA need Australia’s help?

neverfail
Posts: 7291
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Australia, Allende and the CIA

Post by neverfail » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:46 pm

Milo wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:07 pm
Must be a lot more to this. Why would the CIA need Australia’s help?
At a guess (and that is all this is) it is likely that American spies were too well known down there. If Allende lacked the counter-espionage resources to pinpoint them there would no doubt have been spies attached to the Soviet and Cuban embassies in Santiago with access to KGB files to keep tabs on them and keep Allende informed. But who would have suspected Australuan nationals in those times?

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 5596
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Australia, Allende and the CIA

Post by Sertorio » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:06 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:34 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:14 am
Declassified documents show Australia assisted CIA in coup against Chile’s Salvador Allende
Fri 10 Sep 2021 15.02 BST
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... or-allende

Australia’s covert overseas spy agency, the Australian Secret Intelligence Service, opened a base in Santiago to assist in the US Central Intelligence Agency’s destabilisation of the Chilean government ahead of the bloody military coup against Salvador Allende’s socialist government 48 years ago today.

Declassified Australian government documents prove that in December 1970 Liberal foreign minister and later prime minister, Billy McMahon, approved an Asis request to open the base. For 18 months from 1971, according to the US-based National Security Archive, Asis apparently conducted covert operations in Chile – including handling CIA-recruited Chilean assets in Santiago and filing intelligence reports to CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia.

The documents disclose how McMahon’s successor, Labor’s Gough Whitlam elected in December 1972, less than a year later ordered the then Asis director, William Robertson, to disband the service’s Chilean operations.

But the documents, released in June to former Australian army intelligence officer and academic Clinton Fernandes, indicate Whitlam was torn between any real politik embarrassing revelations about Asis involvement in undermining fellow progressive left-winger Allende might cause, and concern Washington might view the spy agency’s retreat as anti-American or “embarrass [the] CIA”.

(...)
Typical Anglo conspiracy which helps to explain Australia's continued vassal status in respect of the US...
Easy enough for you to snear!

I am of course appalled that this country, or rather our government of the day, could have had a hand in such a nefarious matter.

I recall Foreign Minister and Prime Minister William (Billy) Mc Mahon - one of the least impressive political leaders this country has ever had. Australia had no national interest at stake in overthrowing the Allende government (Chile is by no means then or now a priority area in Australian foreign policy goals) but I am sure the assistance our spy agency gave to the CIA was given in a spirit of appeasement: give President Nixon and the Yanks what they want or else they have ways of doing something to us that could (at the least) prove politically embarrasing.

Mc Mahon's derisive image contributed to his government's electoral defeat in December 1972. The succesor government was led by Edward Gough Whitlam who was a far more impressive (and memorable) political figure but alas, unlike his predecessor Whitlam led a faction ridden party that was at war with itself within. Had the decision been Whitlam's to make back in 1970 I believe that he would have likely run the political risk of upsetting our ally by denying their request for Australian assistance in Allende's overthrow.

In any case with or without help from our spy agency Nixon was determined to bring about the end of the Allende government in Chile - and that was that! Further, it is not as though Allende and supporters did not do plenty in their own right to invite such a backlash as the 1973 coup.
I'm sure you are sincere in your distress in respect of the Chilean venture, but you keep supporting the US in its conflict with China and thus help putting your country at risk. Again. Of course China will always be a dangerous neighbour, but China belongs in your part of the world, and the US does not. Good relations with China and lively trade with them will contribute to Australia's prosperity at very little risk. China can mean to Australia much more than the US can ever do. Isn't it time for Australia to become truly independent and master of its destiny? Must you be forever tied to a collapsing empire?...

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 5151
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: Australia, Allende and the CIA

Post by cassowary » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:12 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:56 pm
cassowary wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:31 pm

Good. They saved Chile from becoming another Cuba. Pinochet brought prosperity and later restored Democracy to Chile. And what about Cuba? Still an impoverished dictatorship.
Allende and cohorts aroused enough emnity against itself to ensure that pressures within the country would have brought it to a premature and ignoble end. On that basis I don't see American machanations as having been necessary to rid Chile of Allende. Just let nature take it course.

About the one redeeming feature of the coup was that it pespite the subsequent killings, incarceration and torture of many thousands of known and suspected Allende supporters it likely spared Chine something far worse: a full blown civil war.
The Cubans and Soviets were in cahoots with Allende and secretly fomenting Revolution. So we need the CIA and apparently Aussie intelligence to level the playing field.
The Imp :D

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 5596
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Australia, Allende and the CIA

Post by Sertorio » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:18 am

cassowary wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:12 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:56 pm
cassowary wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:31 pm

Good. They saved Chile from becoming another Cuba. Pinochet brought prosperity and later restored Democracy to Chile. And what about Cuba? Still an impoverished dictatorship.
Allende and cohorts aroused enough emnity against itself to ensure that pressures within the country would have brought it to a premature and ignoble end. On that basis I don't see American machanations as having been necessary to rid Chile of Allende. Just let nature take it course.

About the one redeeming feature of the coup was that it pespite the subsequent killings, incarceration and torture of many thousands of known and suspected Allende supporters it likely spared Chine something far worse: a full blown civil war.
The Cubans and Soviets were in cahoots with Allende and secretly fomenting Revolution. So we need the CIA and apparently Aussie intelligence to level the playing field.
Cass, sooner or later you will a victim of the policies you defend, and then we will see what your reaction will be...

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 3434
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Australia, Allende and the CIA

Post by Milo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:29 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:46 pm
Milo wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:07 pm
Must be a lot more to this. Why would the CIA need Australia’s help?
At a guess (and that is all this is) it is likely that American spies were too well known down there. If Allende lacked the counter-espionage resources to pinpoint them there would no doubt have been spies attached to the Soviet and Cuban embassies in Santiago with access to KGB files to keep tabs on them and keep Allende informed. But who would have suspected Australuan nationals in those times?
Yes, that’s as likely as anything.

Post Reply