SteveFoerster

Re: The Guardian's view on Ukraine

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:37 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:42 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:23 pm
What's silly is limiting individual freedom --
You do that in America routinely anyway - in the case of dangerous criminals and the mentally deranged. Same everywhere.

There are people on this plane whose "individual freedom" you need to restrict for the safety and health of society at large.

Even the United States is not so insanely infatuated with this "right to freedom" nonsense as to be entirely in denial about that.

Now, what about a spy working on behalf of an enemy foreign power. Do you believe that he should be allowed unlimited freedom to steal your country's state secrets?

Frankly, I think that this notion that Americans have a divine right to go where they like and do what they like is both myopic and arrogant.
Stop missing my point on purpose. I'm not talking about murderers and spies and you know it. I'm saying that (1) a blanket prohibition to entry of people from an entire country is foolish and illiberal, and (2) it is no less foolish and illiberal just because some other country has a blanket prohibition to entry of people from your country.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac