Why did the US failed in nation building in Afghanistan but succeeded in Japan?

Discussion of current events
cassowary

Re: Why did the US failed in nation building in Afghanistan but succeeded in Japan?

Post by cassowary » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:02 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:35 am
cassowary wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:55 pm

The Fiddler saws the strings,
His light brown hair he tosses and flings.
He carries a sabre at his side,
He wears a pleated habit wide.

"Fiddler, why that frantic sound?
Why do you gaze so wildly round?
Why leaps your blood, like the surging sea?
What drives your bow so desperately?"

"Why do I fiddle? Or the wild waves roar?
That they might pound the rocky shore,
That eye be blinded, that bosom swell,
That Soul's cry carry down to Hell."

"Fiddler, with scorn you rend your heart.
A radiant God lent you your art,
To dazzle with waves of melody,
To soar to the star-dance in the sky."

"How so! I plunge, plunge wihout fail
My blood-black sabre into your soul.

That art God neither wants nor wists,
It leaps to the brain from Hell's black mists.

"Till heart's bewitched, till senses reel:
With Satan I have struck my deal.
He chalks the signs, beats time for me,
I play the death march fast and free.

"I must play dark, I must play light,
Till bowstrings break my heart outright."

The Fiddler saws the strings,
His light brown hair he tosses and flings.
He carries a sabre at his side,
He wears a pleated habit wide.
Cass, until now I had not known nor even guessed that Marx had ever written a single poem. Previously I had believed him to have been entirely a prose man.

If Marx meant what he said (above) then it looks as if his two well known bits of prose, Communist Manifesto and Das Kapital were intended by him as the devil's temptation.

"With Satan I have struck my deal." So did Hitler! It seems to have been a Germanic thing to do.
Yeah, it looks like Germany produced the ideologies that killed a lot of people. Marxism and Hitler's evolutionary ideas that led to the holocuast.

Don't forget Nietzsche. His ideas likely influenced Hitler.
The Imp :D

SteveFoerster

Re: Why did the US failed in nation building in Afghanistan but succeeded in Japan?

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:15 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:02 am
That's awfully unfair to Nietzsche, who said that antisemitism should be "utterly rejected with cold contempt by every sensible mind."
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:09 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:15 am
cassowary wrote:
That's awfully unfair to Nietzsche, who said that antisemitism should be "utterly rejected with cold contempt by every sensible mind."
Cassowary's reading doesn't go beyond Adam Smith and the (Calvinist) Bible... :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:29 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:09 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Cassowary's reading doesn't go beyond Adam Smith and the (Calvinist) Bible... :D
While your reading doesn't go past RT and the people's daily.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:45 am

Doc wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:29 am
Sertorio wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
cassowary wrote:
You know that's not true!... I even read the US Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution... Both of which I highly appreciated. More than most Americans seem to do... ;)

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:00 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:45 am
Doc wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:29 am
Sertorio wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
cassowary wrote:
You know that's not true!... I even read the US Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution... Both of which I highly appreciated. More than most Americans seem to do... ;)
I knew there was something wrong with the universe :P
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:49 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
cassowary wrote:
I was referring to something else and not antisemitism per se. Nietszsche was an atheist. To him, God is dead but His Ghost lingers on. The ghost refers to Christian ethics and morality. Nietszche was angry that even his fellow atheists were still unconciously adhering to Christian ideas of love, charity, help for the downtrodden and poor. They acquired these values from mothers' milk without realising where they came from.

To him, all that is nonsense and against nature. It is not the meek who shall inherit the earth as what Christ said, but the strong and bold. Conpassion for the poor was thus misplaced. The law of natural selection requires that the weak dies. Nietzsche was thus the first atheist to work out what atheistic morality looks like - one based on the laws of nature. The truth is that Mother Nature is a pyscho who kills her own children, constantly putting them into extinction through the process of natural selection where the strongest survive. Hitler's behavior suggests to me that he took this to heart. Hitler hated Christianity for what it did to the German people. The Christian faith took the blond Germanic savage and turned him into a peaceful monk, who thought that loving his enemy is a virtue.
Originally war was nothing but a struggle for pasture grounds. To-day war is nothing but a struggle for the riches of nature. By virtue of an inherent law, these riches belong to him who conquers them. The great migrations set out from the East. With us begins the ebb, from West to East. That's in accordance with the laws of nature. By means of the struggle, the elites are continually renewed. The law of natural selection justifies this incessant struggle, by allowing the survival of the fittest. Christianity is a rebellion against natural law, a protest against nature. Taken to its logical extreme, Christianity would mean the systematic cultivation of human failure. http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler
To Hitler, Christianity weakened the warrior spirit of the Germans. Islam, as he correctly diagnosed, made an excellent warrior religion. So he wished that Charles Martel had lost at the Battle of Tours.

A quote from Adolf Hitler, 28 August 1942 [p. 667 Hitler's Table Talk; 1941-1944 translated by N. Cameron and R.H. Stevens, Enigma Books (1953)]
Had Charles Martel not been victorious at Poitiers – already, you see, the world had already fallen into the hands of the Jews, so gutless a thing Christianity! – then we should in all probability have been converted to Mohammedanism, that cult which glorifies the heroism and which opens up the seventh Heaven to the bold warrior alone. Then the Germanic races would have conquered the world. Christianity alone prevented them from doing so.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:21 pm

Christianity does no such thing. Am I the only one who's ever read German history? You know, the Thirty Years' War, and all that?
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: https://newworld.ac

cassowary

The ISIS attack on Kabul airport marks the start of an Afghan Civil War

Post by cassowary » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:48 pm

While the western news media talks about how incompetent the Biden administration is, I see it from another angle. My angle is based on my view that the Muslims, particularly from the Middle East, are a hopeless bunch of people who cannot get their act together.

I believe that there is a moderate wing in the Taliban. They saw a generation of Afghans getting a taste of a different life thanks to the 20 years of American attempt to remake Afghanistan in their image. They also see that they will need foreign help and so must be moderate.

But unfortunately for them, some are ideological purists who want to follow Islamic teachings precisely. That means no compromise with the reality of modern life. But the purists among them won't go along. That is why they attacked Kabul to show that they are still around.

There will be a civil war soon. Muslims will kill Muslims. Once again, Muslims will screw themselves up. There is nothing new under the sun.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:54 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:21 pm
Christianity does no such thing. Am I the only one who's ever read German history? You know, the Thirty Years' War, and all that?
The Thirty Years' War was mostly a dynastic war between the Houses of Bourbon vs Hapsburg. The religious phase of the war ended very quickly, about a year after it started, if I recall correctly. After that, an ostensibly Catholic French King with his Prime Minster, Cardinal Richelieu, a prince of the Church helped a Protestant King Gustavus from Sweden to fight the Hapsburg by giving him money to hire an army. Wars were expensive and Sweden was poor.

France did not like the idea of being surrounded by their Hapsburg enemies. To the South was Spain, ruled by Hapsburg. To their North was the Spanish Netherlands. To the East was the Holy Roman Empire, also ruled by Hapsburg. So they supported the heritical enemies of their church to preserve the Interests of France and the Bourbon family.

This makes it a Dyanstic and National war, rather than a religious war. If it had been Catholics vs 'Protestants, it would have been no contest. The Protestants would have been defeated very early on.