The coming breakup of South Africa

Discussion of current events
neverfail
Posts: 7637
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: The coming breakup of South Africa

Post by neverfail » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:21 pm

cassowary wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:06 pm


Haha. There is racism everywhere. As I tried to explain, its the flip side of family love. Thus it is in our DNA. The relative success of the Indians in South Africa indicates that there is more at work than just Apartheid to explain the poverty of the Bantus in South Africa.

This article describes South Africa's progress before and after Apartheid ended.

This is an interesting chart taken from linked article:

Image

As you can see, without apartheid, the two groups that saw the highest rise in income are the Whites and Asians. The Blacks and Coloreds also showed improvement in income, especially in the first five years after Apartheid ended but slow improvement after that. The jump in income in the first five years following the end of Apartheid can be attributed to ending restrictions that hampered the business and job opportunities that non whites suffered under Apartheid.

But after five years, its an equal contest. Yet the income gap between whites, Asians on the one hand and blacks and coloreds on the other widened. So I think something else is at work. Its not racism that hinders black under achievement. I see that same pattern in Malaysia and Singapore. In Malaysia, the Malay majority has slower economic progress than the minority Chinese. So it cannot be attributed to racism or discrimination because the Malays hold the political power. Yet I come across Africans blaming the White man for sins long past.
Cass:

Re your chart: for some unknown reason it inspired me to compose verse:

1.) when you are white you will do all right.

2.) if you are Asian then nothing will faze 'em.

3.) when you are mixed race you are only just in the race.

4.) if you are black you remain at the back.

:lol:

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 5304
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The coming breakup of South Africa

Post by cassowary » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:02 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:21 pm
cassowary wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:06 pm


Haha. There is racism everywhere. As I tried to explain, its the flip side of family love. Thus it is in our DNA. The relative success of the Indians in South Africa indicates that there is more at work than just Apartheid to explain the poverty of the Bantus in South Africa.

This article describes South Africa's progress before and after Apartheid ended.

This is an interesting chart taken from linked article:

Image

As you can see, without apartheid, the two groups that saw the highest rise in income are the Whites and Asians. The Blacks and Coloreds also showed improvement in income, especially in the first five years after Apartheid ended but slow improvement after that. The jump in income in the first five years following the end of Apartheid can be attributed to ending restrictions that hampered the business and job opportunities that non whites suffered under Apartheid.

But after five years, its an equal contest. Yet the income gap between whites, Asians on the one hand and blacks and coloreds on the other widened. So I think something else is at work. Its not racism that hinders black under achievement. I see that same pattern in Malaysia and Singapore. In Malaysia, the Malay majority has slower economic progress than the minority Chinese. So it cannot be attributed to racism or discrimination because the Malays hold the political power. Yet I come across Africans blaming the White man for sins long past.
Cass:

Re your chart: for some unknown reason it inspired me to compose verse:

1.) when you are white you will do all right.

2.) if you are Asian then nothing will faze 'em.

3.) when you are mixed race you are only just in the race.

4.) if you are black you remain at the back.

:lol:
I didn't know you are a poet. :)
The Imp :D

neverfail
Posts: 7637
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: The coming breakup of South Africa

Post by neverfail » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:38 am

cassowary wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:02 am
neverfail wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:21 pm


Cass:

Re your chart: for some unknown reason it inspired me to compose verse:

1.) when you are white you will do all right.

2.) if you are Asian then nothing will faze 'em.

3.) when you are mixed race you are only just in the race.

4.) if you are black you remain at the back.

:lol:
I didn't know you are a poet. :)
:lol: I have lots of hidden talents Cass.

uche africanus
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Re: The coming breakup of South Africa

Post by uche africanus » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:29 am

neverfail wrote:


Cass:

Re your chart: for some unknown reason it inspired me to compose verse:

1.) when you are white you will do all right.

2.) if you are Asian then nothing will faze 'em.

3.) when you are mixed race you are only just in the race.

4.) if you are black you remain at the back.



neverfail,

You know I really expected better from you. But you have chosen to reveal the meaness of your extraction. Australia has a sordid history and you are showing it in colorful display. That said, I urge you to enjoy this moment, a very transistory interlude because what is to come after it lasts forever and that eternity mostly belongs to the negros. Our earthly journey is at most four or five scores only, so feel free to celebrate your earthly, material "success" as much as you can because it ends and the real life of eternity in heaven begins. And that heaven is mostly populated by Africans.

neverfail
Posts: 7637
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: The coming breakup of South Africa

Post by neverfail » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:25 am

neverfail,

You know I really expected better from you. But you have chosen to reveal the meaness of your extraction. Australia has a sordid history and you are showing it in colorful display. That said, I urge you to enjoy this moment, a very transistory interlude because what is to come after it lasts forever and that eternity mostly belongs to the negros. Our earthly journey is at most four or five scores only, so feel free to celebrate your earthly, material "success" as much as you can because it ends and the real life of eternity in heaven begins. And that heaven is mostly populated by Africans.
Where do you get that impression from Uche?

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 5968
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: The coming breakup of South Africa

Post by Sertorio » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:01 am

uche africanus wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:29 am
neverfail wrote:


Cass:

Re your chart: for some unknown reason it inspired me to compose verse:

1.) when you are white you will do all right.

2.) if you are Asian then nothing will faze 'em.

3.) when you are mixed race you are only just in the race.

4.) if you are black you remain at the back.



neverfail,

You know I really expected better from you. But you have chosen to reveal the meaness of your extraction. Australia has a sordid history and you are showing it in colorful display. That said, I urge you to enjoy this moment, a very transistory interlude because what is to come after it lasts forever and that eternity mostly belongs to the negros. Our earthly journey is at most four or five scores only, so feel free to celebrate your earthly, material "success" as much as you can because it ends and the real life of eternity in heaven begins. And that heaven is mostly populated by Africans.
It took about 10,000 years for the black skinned people who came from Africa to Europe to acquire their beautiful white skin!... :lol:

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 5304
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The coming breakup of South Africa

Post by cassowary » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:25 am

uche africanus wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:29 am
neverfail wrote:


Cass:

Re your chart: for some unknown reason it inspired me to compose verse:

1.) when you are white you will do all right.

2.) if you are Asian then nothing will faze 'em.

3.) when you are mixed race you are only just in the race.

4.) if you are black you remain at the back.



neverfail,

You know I really expected better from you. But you have chosen to reveal the meaness of your extraction. Australia has a sordid history and you are showing it in colorful display. That said, I urge you to enjoy this moment, a very transistory interlude because what is to come after it lasts forever and that eternity mostly belongs to the negros. Our earthly journey is at most four or five scores only, so feel free to celebrate your earthly, material "success" as much as you can because it ends and the real life of eternity in heaven begins. And that heaven is mostly populated by Africans.
My brothers. We all share the same faith. Let's be nice to one another. You should not have said that Neverfail.
The Imp :D

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 6319
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: The coming breakup of South Africa

Post by Doc » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:31 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:01 am
uche africanus wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:29 am
neverfail wrote:


Cass:

Re your chart: for some unknown reason it inspired me to compose verse:

1.) when you are white you will do all right.

2.) if you are Asian then nothing will faze 'em.

3.) when you are mixed race you are only just in the race.

4.) if you are black you remain at the back.



neverfail,

You know I really expected better from you. But you have chosen to reveal the meaness of your extraction. Australia has a sordid history and you are showing it in colorful display. That said, I urge you to enjoy this moment, a very transistory interlude because what is to come after it lasts forever and that eternity mostly belongs to the negros. Our earthly journey is at most four or five scores only, so feel free to celebrate your earthly, material "success" as much as you can because it ends and the real life of eternity in heaven begins. And that heaven is mostly populated by Africans.
It took about 10,000 years for the black skinned people who came from Africa to Europe to acquire their beautiful white skin!... :lol:
From the end of the last ice age 12,000 years ago to 6.000 years ago the population of Europe turned from dark skin to light skinned after an African gene entered the population.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10 ... skin-color

New gene variants reveal the evolution of human skin color


The study adds to established research undercutting old notions of race. You can’t use skin color to classify humans, any more than you can use other complex traits like height, Tishkoff says. “There is so much diversity in Africans that there is no such thing as an African race.”
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail
Posts: 7637
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: The coming breakup of South Africa

Post by neverfail » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:02 pm

cassowary wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:25 am
My brothers. We all share the same faith. Let's be nice to one another. You should not have said that Neverfail.
That graph of conparative rises in average incomes of the various racial groups in South Africa since the end of apartheid that you published which inspired the verse: should'nt you have abstained from publishing that on the basis that it might cause someone offense as well, Cassowary?

Yes, I regret that another poster should have suffered an upset due to something that I wrote - especially as I never intended to cause the upset. But I can neither foresee nor control how another person will react emotively.

User avatar
Apollonius
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:20 am

Re: The coming breakup of South Africa

Post by Apollonius » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:34 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:31 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:01 am
uche africanus wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:29 am
neverfail wrote:


Cass:

Re your chart: for some unknown reason it inspired me to compose verse:

1.) when you are white you will do all right.

2.) if you are Asian then nothing will faze 'em.

3.) when you are mixed race you are only just in the race.

4.) if you are black you remain at the back.



neverfail,

You know I really expected better from you. But you have chosen to reveal the meaness of your extraction. Australia has a sordid history and you are showing it in colorful display. That said, I urge you to enjoy this moment, a very transistory interlude because what is to come after it lasts forever and that eternity mostly belongs to the negros. Our earthly journey is at most four or five scores only, so feel free to celebrate your earthly, material "success" as much as you can because it ends and the real life of eternity in heaven begins. And that heaven is mostly populated by Africans.
It took about 10,000 years for the black skinned people who came from Africa to Europe to acquire their beautiful white skin!... :lol:
From the end of the last ice age 12,000 years ago to 6.000 years ago the population of Europe turned from dark skin to light skinned after an African gene entered the population.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10 ... skin-color

New gene variants reveal the evolution of human skin color


The study adds to established research undercutting old notions of race. You can’t use skin color to classify humans, any more than you can use other complex traits like height, Tishkoff says. “There is so much diversity in Africans that there is no such thing as an African race.”

Good article Doc. Thanks for posting. It get's to the gist of what I was trying to explain earlier when I stated that being 'black' or 'white' (having darker or lighter skin) is nothing like the be-all and end-all of race, no matter how you choose to define it, least of all genetically.

Barack Obama who is commonly called America's first 'black' president is of course, as everyone knows, half Irish. So he's what used to be called mulatto. Is that now a verboten term? Sorry, I can't keep up with Cancel Culture and who might be offended by what. In any case, the Luo side of his family has less in common with the typical West African than a Mongolian has with an Englishman-- and that's only to speak of genetics!


Here's a good map of the evolution of skin colour:
Eurassain Origns of Lighter Skin.jpg
Eurassain Origns of Lighter Skin.jpg (86.05 KiB) Viewed 490 times


I can't remember where I found this, but in any case it's of course it's only intended to give an impression and approximation. When, for example, these studies talk about 'dark skin' they're really only talking about relatively dark (as compared to Europeans today). There remain many questions about where exactly this originated which the map does point to since it in fact shows two points of entry into Europe, both from the Asia Minor and from eastern Europe via the Caucasus. Both movements coincided with the Bølling-Allerød Interstadial, some 14,000 ya., so the dates on the map are not to be taken too seriously [1]. Interestingly, before that time Europeans still had about 6% of their genetic makeup from Neanderthals. Since this wave of migrants, that was reduced to 2%.


[1] It conflates, for example the earliest European agriculturalists (8,000 ya.) with the earlier migration (14,000 ya.) which is associated with the introduction of lighter skin colour.

Post Reply