how the Covid tide has turned

Discussion of current events
neverfail

how the Covid tide has turned

Post by neverfail » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:44 am

Just a year ago, Asian countries' handling of the pandemic made the US look ridiculous. Not any more

https://asiatimes.com/2021/07/envy-from ... as-turned/
To think that all that it took to turn America's Covid fortunes around was to rid itself of a callous president.

cassowary

Re: how the Covid tide has turned

Post by cassowary » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:54 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:44 am
Just a year ago, Asian countries' handling of the pandemic made the US look ridiculous. Not any more

To think that all that it took to turn America's Covid fortunes around was to rid itself of a callous president.
The author ignored the fact that the vaccines were developed at “warp speed” under Trump.
The Imp :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:58 pm

cassowary wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:54 pm
neverfail wrote:

The author ignored the fact that the vaccines were developed at “warp speed” under Trump.
:lol: (Oh yeah Cass: I'll bet that Trump personally worked day and night in that laboratory to develop the first released vacine too. Specious argument!)

In Britain they had developed the Oxford - Astra Zenica vacine and released it or use at about the same time as the first American vacine (Pfizer?) was put to use. There was a race on between various research groups and pharmacutical labs worldwide to develop a remedy for Covid and coincidentally these two arrived at the winning post at around the same time. Nothing to do with Trump who merely tried to claim credit for what others had acheived - and his devoted following actually believed him.

You should have more sense than to be one of those willing dupes.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:50 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:58 pm
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

:lol: (Oh yeah Cass: I'll bet that Trump personally worked day and night in that laboratory to develop the first released vacine too. Specious argument!)

In Britain they had developed the Oxford - Astra Zenica vacine and released it or use at about the same time as the first American vacine (Pfizer?) was put to use. There was a race on between various research groups and pharmacutical labs worldwide to develop a remedy for Covid and coincidentally these two arrived at the winning post at around the same time. Nothing to do with Trump who merely tried to claim credit for what others had acheived - and his devoted following actually believed him.

Actually the Russian Sputnik V vaccine was first, but because it is Russian and not made by a privately owned lab, it hasn't yet been accepted by the US and the EU...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:32 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:50 am
Actually the Russian Sputnik V vaccine was first, but because it is Russian and not made by a privately owned lab, it hasn't yet been accepted by the US and the EU...
Not approved by the World Health Organisation - not because it is Russian.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:24 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:32 am
Sertorio wrote:
The WHO seems to be about to approve it, once some improvements have been made at one of the production locations.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:07 pm

neverfail wrote:

I think this is far from over The virus was made in a lab by the CCP. Now that the CCP has figured out how devastating it is, They will use it as soon as they are ready to invade Taiwan. And instead of a "Callous president' We have an idiot in charge that thinks it is perfectly OK to trade his influence with the CCP for money via his crackhead son. Who now thinks Government censorship of free speech is OK.

What could go wrong? :roll:
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:57 pm

Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Yet both accepted a CCP made virus as legitimate
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:57 pm

Doc wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:57 pm
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Yet both accepted a CCP made virus as legitimate
Prove it, if you can...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:42 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:24 am
neverfail wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:32 am
Sertorio wrote:
The WHO seems to be about to approve it, once some improvements have been made at one of the production locations.
The WHO has not approved it yet but if it does then I would not be reluctant to use it myself.

Australia is currently in a position not unlike that of South Korea. Our governments (plural - like Canada and the USA we are a federation - which can and does complicate matters) had previously done an excellent job in curbing the spread of the virus and as in our east Asian neighbours the general populace has been laudable compliant in obeying government directives: but like those of our neighbours our government has fumbled the next phase of securing supplies of serum and distributing it (the "rollout").